Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I was hyped as fuck for Wasteland 2, back when the devs were promising extremely deep reactivity (like people reacting differently to you depending on the party composition) and real C&C. Then I got the game and saw that basically none of the cool stuff was actually in the game and even seemingly profound choices (like saving the dam or the scientific outpost) had basically no consequences whatsoever. It was obvious that the devs instead decided to prioritise the number of retarded outfits your party members could wear. Combat was pretty much like FO2 except you could overwatch and crouch.

I cleared pretty much the whole first part of the game (the initial map before you go to California or something), before dropping it and never looking back. Is the W3 just more of the same?

California is much better I also dropped game after last map in Arizona but was surprised how much better it was after picking it year later, Wasteland 3 was for me better at combat a bit.... yes all weapons were balanced so I used pistoleros, shot gun hobos, melee types instead of straight military section five riffle-men + sniper but writing and hole game felt much more streamlined and consolitarted. Game is also lot shorter so yes if you liked second part pick third too its pretty much same 6/10 game.

jac8awol

Arbiter
I don't know why the fuck they would add these costumes, but that artwork is sweet, it really looks like a fantasy costume some postapo wastelanders could put together.

It's like creating the most perfectly shaped penis and then sewing it onto Angelina Jolie. Just a waste of time and resources.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Gonna get some salt about this, but this game reminds me of Dragon Age Inquisition a lot. And it does the general concept better. You're an organization that can do good or evil that sort of nebulously polices/overlords over an area and its people because the leadership cannot do so. You either go around solving(or exacerbating) problems.

This is a fair sight better than what DA:I managed, and exploration in the Kodiak is a damn sight more rewarding than running around on foot in the empty maps of DA:I.

Saduj

Arcane
I wonder if the content expansion is going to be mid-game or epilogue. Both kinda suck but at least epilogues don’t expect you to replay hours of content you’ve seen before.

IMO content expansions should always start with a new character at level 1. New content in same world. No godlike endgame characters and no replaying old content. But realistically I understand that this wouldn’t fly with the loud masses clamoring for decline.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
IMO content expansions should always start with a new character at level 1. New content in same world. No godlike endgame characters and no replaying old content. But realistically I understand that this wouldn’t fly with the loud masses clamoring for decline.

I couldn't agree more, a chance for a new adventure, even if it only brings a new party from level 1 to 10 is way better than an expansion for high level characters.
Especially if you play it later and didn't keep any save, starting with level 20 characters is just the worst thing possible.

That's the one thing Kingmaker did right, i didn't play any expansion of any RTwP RPG (good party based and TB ones didn't have any as far as i know) except Varathing's hold from PK.
Was even far better than the main game as far as i'm concerned.

Last edited:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I couldn't agree more, a chance as a new adventure, even if it only brings a new party from level 1 to 10 is way better than an expansion for high level character.
Especially if you play it later and didn't keep any save, starting with level 20 characters is just the worst thing possible.

That's the one thing Kingmaker did right, i didn't play any expansion of any RTwP RPG (good party based and TB ones didn't have any as far as i know) except Varathing's hold from PK.

Totally disagree. I'd rather they lower the experince gain for a character I'm creating in a world and see them build the character up over the expansions. Playing multiple characters is for brain stormers thought showers that end up with piss and ideas spilled all over the place.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Congratulations to inXile and Brian Fargo for winning RPG Codex Game of the Year 2020 with Wasteland 3:

vWqQGSr.png

Serus

Arcane
Patron

I couldn't agree more, a chance for a new adventure, even if it only brings a new party from level 1 to 10 is way better than an expansion for high level characters.

Kingmaker IS turn based. Just saying. But i agree with You about expansions as well. Give me new (even if small) campaigns starting at first/low level. I remember not playing TOB back in the day mostly for this very reason. Well that and D&D at that level being idiotic.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I have a question.

My squad is level 14 now, but I don't have that many guests to choose from. Storywise I only captured Valor.
The options are:
Victory lvl 17
Morningstar lvl 12 (but in reality higher since you have to deal with Hard-Heads)
Ironclad Cordite lvl 11 (but I don't want to start it/to mess with the Patriarch)

I tried to explore the map, but it's so empty. Are there any quests to fill the 14-17 lvl gap?

Tenebris

Scholar
For a couple you need to explore the map and go to specific areas for new quests to appear. If you don't get anymore the game either glitched and never gave you it which happens sometimes or you finished them all and need to continue the main story.

CodexTotalWar

Learned
I have a question.

My squad is level 14 now, but I don't have that many guests to choose from. Storywise I only captured Valor.
The options are:
Victory lvl 17
Morningstar lvl 12 (but in reality higher since you have to deal with Hard-Heads)
Ironclad Cordite lvl 11 (but I don't want to start it/to mess with the Patriarch)

I tried to explore the map, but it's so empty. Are there any quests to fill the 14-17 lvl gap?

Unless you're holding it off for story reasons, the Morningstar Quest should be doable - I've done this quest before wrapping up the Gippers/Valor quest line.

Hard to know what you've done already or not at this point:
- War of the Worlds + The patrolling Scorpitron (northern Denver)
- Sister's Keeper (south-east Denver, before the bridge down to the Radiation 3 area)
- When you're closer to 17, there are 3 additional side quests by Aspen that you can do prior to Aspen proper (Santa's Workshop + Cannibal Jamboree + Department of Energy)

There is also a bunch of new quests that show up at Colorado Springs each time you progress the story enough (some of them depends on how you've managed previous side quests). I forget which ones come right after Valor - if I had to guess:
- A bunch of women shows up and asks for your help to locate their family
- A quest to kick the kids out of little Vegas if it was abandoned

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
I have a question.

The options are:
Victory lvl 17

Kill all the gippers. That's a ton of XP Then all the godfishers. Then all the robots in the base. You'll be drowning in levels.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I have a question.

The options are:
Victory lvl 17

Kill all the gippers. That's a ton of XP Then all the godfishers. Then all the robots in the base. You'll be drowning in levels.
Thanks for the advice, but killing everyone is not my type of playing. Anyway, Tenebris and CodexTotalWar gave useful info.

CodexTotalWar

Learned
Is it possible to reach lvl 35, doing all the main and secondary quests?. (excluding the noon residence/caravan choice)

No, with the latest patch, you'll realistically net out around 26-27 if you do all the quests.

Having a high CHA score from the start and stacking all the common skill checks (i.e. lockpick, mechanics, explosives, etc), might get you to and above 28 (not tested). You can also in theory get to max HP just grinding random encounters... but why would you?

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
I've found that investing into con earlier is better than buying it later. Basically if you want HP, start early.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom