Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake from Saber Interactive

JDR13

Arcane
Unless there's some kind of contractual agreement in regards to it, I don't believe game developers are obligated to stick to any kind of "official" canon.

Disney has absolutely said everything released in any medium will be in official canon, and a "story group" controls it all. How well they stick to that... who knows. Pretty sure there are already contradictions with Snoke and the last movie.

That very well may be, but like I said, unless there's a contractual agreement, non-Disney owned companies aren't obligated to recognize canon. Given that EA seems to be doing exactly that so far, I'm, guessing it might be in their licensing contract.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That very well may be, but like I said, unless there's a contractual agreement, non-Disney owned companies aren't obligated to recognize canon. Given that EA seems to be doing exactly that so far, I'm, guessing it might be in their licensing contract.

TOR is a special case though, because it came out before the Disney takeover. Disney specifically and bluntly made it non-canon when they took over, but EA still run the game, so it's sort of a special case of continuing non-canon storytelling. I'm 99% sure every EA game since is "official" and had to be approved by the story group or whatever they're called. Jedi Fallen Order certainly was.

JDR13

Arcane

TOR is a special case though, because it came out before the Disney takeover. Disney specifically and bluntly made it non-canon when they took over, but EA still run the game, so it's sort of a special case of continuing non-canon storytelling. I'm 99% sure every EA game since is "official" and had to be approved by the story group or whatever they're called. Jedi Fallen Order certainly was.

I wasn't talking about TOR, but ok. I'm talking about SW licensing in general.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Yes, and I'm saying I would certainly expect that contracts require the story group to vet everything, and TOR is a special case from before the takeover. If there's a KotOR reboot, it will absolutely be approved by Disney's story group.

JDR13

Arcane

Yes, and I'm saying I would certainly expect that contracts require the story group to vet everything, and TOR is a special case from before the takeover. If there's a KotOR reboot, it will absolutely be approved by Disney's story group.

I'm not sure where you're getting that TOR is a "special case". You could say the same thing about any SW series that existed prior to Disney, and there are a lot of them.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm not sure where you're getting that TOR is a "special case". You could say the same thing about any SW series that existed prior to Disney, and there are a lot of them.
SWTOR is special in that it continued after the Legends branding, while all the comic and book series etc. were cancelled and replaced with new, canon ones.

Even The Clone Wars, which was and is canon, was cancelled in favor of the new Rebels show. I don't know of anything other than SWTOR that was ongoing before the Legends branding that continued afterwards.

JDR13

Arcane
SWTOR is special in that it continued after the Legends branding, while all the comic and book series etc. were cancelled and replaced with new, canon ones.

Even The Clone Wars, which was and is canon, was cancelled in favor of the new Rebels show. I don't know of anything other than SWTOR that was ongoing before the Legends branding that continued afterwards.

We weren't talking about SWTOR. That's an MMO, and of course that was going to continue.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I was talking about the MMO, as was rusty. He was saying the reboot would have to fit with the MMO, we were saying it won't.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Interestingly in the new canon, Revan stuck with the dark side

Errr, could you elaborate?

Ok I should have made it clear that this is mostly speculation but because of this https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comments/edgrp3/spoiler_revan_along_with_other_parts_of_swtor_and/

In The Rise of Skywalker, two sith units are named after Revan other legends characters this would be a really weird choice if Revan went back to the dark side.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Ok I should have made it clear that this is mostly speculation but because of this https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comments/edgrp3/spoiler_revan_along_with_other_parts_of_swtor_and/

In The Rise of Skywalker, two sith units are named after Revan other legends characters this would be a really weird choice if Revan went back to the dark side.

Well, in broad Legends he:

1. Returned to the Light Side in KotOR
2. Got captured by the Sith Emperor in the Revan novel.
3. Was revealed to have been tortured for 300 years in SWTOR, which prompted a split into a Dark Side Revan controlling the body and a Light Side Revan spirit. In the end in SWTOR he did go back to the Light Side. And died immediately after that.

I guess the Sith Eternal do not posess the complete historical knowledge of that fact... or chose to honour Darth Revan the Sith, despite the existance - and eventual dominance - of Revan the Jedi.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Also a friendly reminder that "Jason Schreier" actually means "somebody with a severe personality disorder who spends his life hating and trying to ruin other peoples' lives and has never accomplished anything else" if you look it up in the English dictionary.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Do we have any idea when EA's contract with Lucasfilm ends? I could see a new KotOR being the selling point for a new deal with someone else.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
Also a friendly reminder that "Jason Schreier" actually means "somebody with a severe personality disorder who spends his life hating and trying to ruin other peoples' lives and has never accomplished anything else" if you look it up in the English dictionary.

His hot takes on the industry while feigning to be a champion is pretty disgusting. But at least you'll get an advert for his shitty book in the process.

Also, his love ResetEra is enough to make him toxic by itself.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Revanite Cult in the Old Republic just thought Revan was playing everyone, or in his various turns was practicing a deeper understanding of the Dark Side and the Force than any other Sith or Jedi was practicing, or that his conversion back to the Light was due to Jedi brainwashing (which is at least partially true) and not genuine conviction, or that he actually died or faked his death at some point (to return later) and that the light-aligned PC of KOTOR was some kind of impersonator or something. Sith also seem to mark a distinction between a person's identity before/after they embrace the Dark Side and if they convert, basically seeing Vader as a whole different being from Anakin Skywalker. They can internalize it inside their heads because they are weird and mystical and have a strange religion that plays around with the concepts of right and wrong and self and non-self. In short, Vader was Vader and Revan was Revan while they were converted to the Dark Side, but both effectively died when they converted back to the Light (to some Sith, there is no meaningful existential difference between being converted to the Light Side and being killed in battle).

Point is that developments and characters in the Star Wars universe are supposed to be subject to disagreement, misinformation, and speculation because the galaxy is so huge and information is so disparate. Rey was aware that the Rebellion defeated the Empire, but thought that Luke Skywalker was totally fictional even though his existence is politically well-established fact in the Core Worlds. The Children of the Watch (a Mandalorian cult) just remembered the Jedi as an order of sorcerers who fought Mandalore the Great in ancient times, even though the Mandalorian political class interacted extensively with the Jedi during the Clone Wars.

Only major, centrally connected sources of commerce and power have access to all of the facts and there is so much misinformation distorting the narrative even they don't necessarily understand it.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
3D4fXbG.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom