Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GTA IV is a massive piece of shit

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I tried multiple times to get into 4 after loving 3/VC/SA, but it's just terrible. It's like they fired everyone who worked on the previous games and hired some retard RPG devs who thought story should trump gameplay. The test of a GTA game's quality is if you can drive aimlessly around the city and enjoy yourself. GTA4's Liberty City is an ugly brown blob and they ruined the driving controls, so it gets an F-.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I quit halfway through. It's good but the main character is as unlikable as the dude in San Andreas. I like the mute guy in 3 better than the guy in 4.

Ash

Arcane
"GTA IV is a massive piece of shit"

Indeed. As is GTAV. Series ended at San andreas (2004) and went the way of every other series abruptly with the beginning of the great decline.

Smoker

Scholar
The conclusion of THE STREETS missions is one of the most hilarious things I've seen in gaming

snoek

Cipher
I played the shit out of GTA IV on console. I had an Xbox 360 back then.
I heard the pc port is pretty shitty tho.

Anyway, I thought it was a pretty good game and I liked the story.
The cars were a bit too clumsy but you master the driving after a while.

You might just be 12 years too late. I also heard they shut down the multiplayer which was rather fun (or at least more fun than GTA V MP).

Wans't this their first game using Euphoria? Pushing people and watch them roll down the stairs never got old.
I also remember the police AI being pretty good (more like in Mafia games where they wouldn't immediately start shooting). Speaking of Mafia, I feel like they took some inspiration from it. It's less sandboxy, you can't do everything in it like in SA (fewer minigames) and it focuses more on the story.
The tone of the game is more serious than in any other GTA and sometimes it's just downright depressing, so I understand why people don't like it. I did like Niko though. He's definitely one of my favourite GTA protagonists, but I'm just a sucker for PTSD suffering psycho war veterans.
I'm surprised you didn't like the driving. Cars finaly feel like they have some weight to them so it feels less arcadey.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Vice City was the last great GTA game. San Andreas was a mixed bag with a lot of problems and some really shit missions. Later stuff in that engine were garbage rehashes. GTA IV and V are just abysmal, boring movie games for normies who want a criminal power fantasy.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
After hemming and hawing about whether or not I actually give a shit enough about this game to install roughly 1gig of bloatware DRM bullshit, I decide "fuck it, I decided I'm going to at least play all my games once.". So I install this stupid fucking nonsense, and then upon launching it I get a prompt that essentially says "Haha you dumb fuck. We just bloated up your system with a bunch of non-essential spyware, but if you actually want to play this game you need to link your Steam account (which by the way is permanent)."
You know you could've just gotten a cracked version if it bothers you so much.

And then I start the game and, guess fucking what? It still runs like shit. I mean, I guess I'm getting 30FPS instead of the 3FPS I was getting 10 fucking years ago, so perhaps there is an elegantly linear time/hardware/performance algorithm that this game is running on, but Jesus Christ.
Your computer sucks, my dude.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
GTA V is a good game. For what it is: driving around, listening to radio, killing random people, most of all killing policemen.
And if you play GTA Online you can do this together with your friends, but will be forced to use Windows tricks to get rid of the retarded randos in the lobby.
It also keeps track of every minor stat so I know that I finished over 10,000 police officers and 500 police helicopters, and my longest wheelie was 158 meters.
It is all in all quite depressing if you think about it, that I did spend so much time in it for nothing but shit.

Last edited:

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Am I doing this wrong? Does this game somehow magically figure it's shit out? Because so far this is a solid 0/10
I played the game on a 2009 core 2 laptop and ran into none of these issues. Even been able to play multiplayer. The problem lies somewhere with your setup.
But yes the Rockstar Social Club is a piece of shit.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
It is a decent game, though way overrated even for 2008 standards (Fallout 3 was GOTY and around 3x-4x times better than it). I disagree about the performance, it can run maxed out and quite fluidly even on budget systems these days. Upgrade your toaster.

And it is not the worst GTA, not by a longshot. GTAs have always been mediocre games that most people play to have fun wrecking their cars in the city and pulling stunts and shiet, i don't think many people actually care for missions and story much.

You should play GTA franchise like you play Goat Simulator, just a way to do some shit and have fun for half an hour.

Tehdagah

Arcane
GTA is outdated, there are far better open-world games with crazier stuff, more freedom and violence

To those asserting there is a problem with my set-up configuration: yeah clearly. The last AAA game I played on this machine was AC:Odyssey with maxed out settings and I never dipped below 60FPS. Clearly something wonky is going on (I suspect GTA IV is running off my integrated graphics card instead of my 1070, despite my telling it not to), but the question is do I really want to spend 20 minutes getting it to work correctly when every step of the way it's been trying to convince me that it's a massive piece of shit?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
GTA IV was such serious decline. It was total shit when compared to Vice City and San Andreas.

GTA V was slight incline but only because of Trevor. The other characters were not nearly enjoyable enough for anything memorable.

Overall, I think they went the right way with stats, increases, unlocks, etc. with San Andreas, but then took a massive step backwards with IV. It's ultimately what made it so I was less interested in the series as a whole.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
GTA V is fine. Online is shit. People still ogling Vice City need to try to play that game again. It needs a fucking remake with the same voice cast.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
To those asserting there is a problem with my set-up configuration: yeah clearly. The last AAA game I played on this machine was AC:Odyssey with maxed out settings and I never dipped below 60FPS. Clearly something wonky is going on (I suspect GTA IV is running off my integrated graphics card instead of my 1070, despite my telling it not to), but the question is do I really want to spend 20 minutes getting it to work correctly when every step of the way it's been trying to convince me that it's a massive piece of shit?

GTA IV and V were built for 30fps on consoles and cannot keep a stable 60 at all times on any machine. Either it's the grass in V or just the random load in IV, performance in these games is always inconsistent... unless you lock the framerate to 30.

Learned
As much as I like San Andreas, it is too bloated and "feature rich" for its own good, so I don't see myself playing it to end ever again, but it doesn't mean the next numbered installment had to undo everything it did in an attempt to be a sequel to GTA III. I have absolutely no respect to any of the design changes made in GTA IV and getting it run properly was a big achievement in itself. Never again.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I'll agree that it was bloated. San Andreas I mean. Some things that I liked and didn't like were the time activation missions (random ones that you could rob Smoke, etc.)

passerby

Arcane
As much as I like San Andreas, it is too bloated and "feature rich" for its own good, so I don't see myself playing it to end ever again, but it doesn't mean the next numbered installment had to undo everything it did in an attempt to be a sequel to GTA III. I have absolutely no respect to any of the design changes made in GTA IV and getting it run properly was a big achievement in itself. Never again.

The decline started with San Andres:
1) As mentioned feature rich, so full of shallow as puddle activities, minigames, collectibles.
2) Shitty writing, nigga humor was not funny, just retarded.
3) Majority of story missions were scripted on rails setpieces, while they were more freeform in the previous two games.

I did 100% of GTA3 and Vice City, I've abandoned San Andres at 75%, but it started to feel like boring work already at 50%.

Overall, I think they went the right way with stats, increases, unlocks, etc. with San Andreas.
It was the worst thing about it, don't you have anything better to do than grind in games ?

Last edited:
I still haven't played Bully. Bought it on steam sale years ago and it turned out to be a piece of shit port that wouldn't even work properly. Maybe I'll just emulate PS2 version some day.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom