Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Note of the outskirts - blobber by Cryptrat

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nope, I think it's the first time you fought things which don't give any treasure (I have got hornets in mind)
You're right, that was it. Didn't even occur to me.
Thanks, I'll switch so you can. Original way was you could not do things while swimming (especially when these things were spells), but I think you can currently do almost everything so I think the better way is that you can do everything.
I dunno, I think it's more interesting if you need to do it from dry land so you can't just freeze your way to wherever you wanna go on floor 0 without a second thought.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Thanks, I'll switch so you can. Original way was you could not do things while swimming (especially when these things were spells), but I think you can currently do almost everything so I think the better way is that you can do everything.
I dunno, I think it's more interesting if you need to do it from dry land so you can't just freeze your way to wherever you wanna go on floor 0 without a second thought.
I think I'm getting too kind to the players.

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Was it an intentional design decision not to allow individual party members to move forward during combat? Was hoping to have 1-2 characters focused on melee, but all my battles thus far have been fought from range so having to spend a turn getting showered with grenades to bring everyone into melee feels horrible.

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
The truth is that I didn't have anything else in mind until late, thinking of "The party advances" from The Bard's Tale and forgetting that the characters in melee individually advance in Wasteland.

With either a whip/chain or the Long-arm feat there's about one half of the fixed encounters of the game where the characters in melee have something to target in the beginning of a fight, with also the possibility to use something from the belt (characters need some perception but also high strength to launch grenades far away so the melee guys are often not the worse ones) I think it's technically possible with only 2 characters in melee to only rarely have characters do nothing.

No melee character at all is fine, but I think 1 or 2 is fine too especially if at least one of them can launch grenades (3 in perception means 40m, it's often more than enough).

I may think of allowing them to advance individually in the future anyway.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Yeah, I too was concerned about the usefulness of melee characters early on, but in practice it's very rare that they don't get to do anything. Like CR says, the Long-Armed feat plus a melee weapon with a bit of reach on it practically guarantees that there's someone within clobbering range at all times, unless you go up against a lone sniper or something funky like that. It's also the case that throwing synergizes well with melee because of the shared reliance on Strength, and within that category you have both grenades and thrown weapons, both of which can be devastating. It's also worth keeping in mind that with 7 characters, it's not crucial that everybody get to attack every single round. My melee dudes guard a fair bit, but they're still by far my best damage-dealers.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
I keep forgetting to check the status of the party's armour. At this point, half my dudes are running around with broken equipment, and my point man's snazzy stealth suit is officially beyond repair :negative:

The encounters on floors 1 and 0 are really kicking my ass. I was worried that the combat was getting too easy on the upper floors, but that's not the case any more. It's going to take some time before I'm up to the task of blasting my way to the finish line.

Watser

Arcane
One question: What the hell is a fry wall? I assume it's a frail wall which I can bash down with a blunt weapon and not a recovery cone for my frying pan
SPS_FrywallHero_2.jpg

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Damn, I posted in the Workshop thread, when there is active thread in the GRPGD!
Strange Fellow
Hey, I hoped to finish it first, like it was with To Hell with Guns. Alas. I was too slow.
I bite more than can chew with this light tank. The only my hope is hacking it successfully, but my hacking is just 5.
EDIT: Hacked it! Hacked sentinels and blew cowards to Kingdom Come. Hello, level 3.

Last edited:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Ice is nice, it rhymes! Octopi are not so nice, though.
BTW, give me a little hint how to find first answer. I've counted fucking trees, I've tried to count them as binary numbers, I've tried to make shapes of them, I was in the every square. I have theory that I needed to question more monsters, but I just killed them (gained one hint about opening gates, though). Now I killed everyone on the first level, so can't question them more.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
BTW, give me a little hint how to find first answer.
If you mean the passwords on the first (fourth) floor, both solutions are out in the open, but invisible to the naked eye.

And while I'm here, feedbacks:
One I've been meaning to mention since forever: Heavy Hitter is misspelt in the perk list.
Frost Gun description says it takes Big Energy Units, but they're called Heavy in the inventory. Pretty sure there are more inconsistencies with big/small/light/heavy energy units as well, but I forget where.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I have theory that I needed to question more monsters
Don't worry about that, you get the same hints completely at random in all floors and you can get those from random encounters (that you can question or not depends on if there's a human enemy or not), and if some can maybe help none is critical.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
By the way, Fowyr have you managed to get into the doorless building in the lower left quadrant? I haven't yet, and I'm curious if I missed something on the fourth floor or if there's really no way in except up from the third.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Lol there's nothing there but given how everybody is intrigued about it (since the dungeon is not full I did not think much about this) it's definitely a design mistake. You're also rightfully pointing out that the game lacks a path which would go up from the lowest floor to the highest floor which is another missed opportunity.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
By the way, Fowyr have you managed to get into the doorless building in the lower left quadrant? I haven't yet, and I'm curious if I missed something on the fourth floor or if there's really no way in except up from the third.
Nope. I tried to blow walls, I tried to walk through them, no luck.
EDIT: Damn, CryptRat! You are a :troll:

PrettyDeadman

Congrats on being called best crpg of 2020 by prestigious dtf.ru poster Xanathar.
I take it but from what I understand he has not played the game yet, right? :)
I doubt he would've called it the best crpg of 2020 if he didn't play. He usually takes a lot of time (weeks-months) to research material for his articles, this includes reading rpgcodex.
Here's his mention: https://dtf.ru/u/171746-xanathar/598083-plany-na-2021
Here's an example of his arcticles (First Dark Ages of CRPG Part I) : https://dtf.ru/u/171746-xanathar/135364-pervye-temnye-veka-crpg-chast-i

EDIT: He calls it *potentially* best crpg of 2020.

Watser

Arcane
Congrats on being called best crpg of 2020 by prestigious dtf.ru poster Xanathar.
I take it but from what I understand he has not played the game yet, right? :)
I doubt he would've called it the best crpg of 2020 if he didn't play. He usually takes a lot of time (weeks-months) to research material for his articles, this includes reading rpgcodex.
Here's his mention: https://dtf.ru/u/171746-xanathar/598083-plany-na-2021
Here's an example of his arcticles (First Dark Ages of CRPG Part I) : https://dtf.ru/u/171746-xanathar/135364-pervye-temnye-veka-crpg-chast-i

EDIT: He calls it *potentially* best crpg of 2020.
From google translate you forgot to mention the additional high praise
Xanathar said:
The author's previous game, although it was very small, could be shown to students in the subject of "dungeon design"

On top of this seems he's also planning an article on... bagels?
Xanathar said:
An article about how important it is to call things by their proper names, about bagels
Good thing he reads the Codex, surely came to the right place for this type of discussion :smug:

PrettyDeadman

On top of this seems he's also planning an article on... bagels?
bagel = рогалик = роуглайк = roguelike.
In the end of the last year he answered one of the most important questions: what an rpg is in one of his articles where he of course slammed brainlets who claim еhat rpgs are about "role-playing" or "choices and consequences" and other such nonsense, now he is planning to write an arcticle which will put an end to the discussion about what a roguelike is and blast morons who think that an action-adventure game or a shooter with permadeth and random level generation can be called roguelike.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
So, about map representation of traps and illusionary walls. Am I right that there are no of it in the game because it makes your auto-mapping function "auto-detect" it? You can relatively easy solve it by showing "floor" and "wall" square respectively, and then by changing it to "trap" (found by detecting or walking, you are already change its visibility on the screen, after all) and "illusionary wall" (found by walking through it, not by just detecting it) symbol. Also make auto-mapping function to skip square if it's one of these categories. I know that you are update auto-map because saw like one of the solid and visible walls moved.
Or am I just need to raise my mapping (5 already) some more to get a map upgrade a la Eschalon Book 1 and Wizardry 7?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Or am I just need to raise my mapping (5 already) some more to get a map upgrade a la Eschalon Book 1 and Wizardry 7?
Nope, mapping really only allows to map instead of being lost (the difficulty scales to the floor, 5 is fine in the beginning, 7 is alright in the end).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom