Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Class Discussion

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I know Paladins are loltier almost fighter tier in 3.5 even with the book of Exalted Cheese(Deeds) and Complete Champion , but how are they in 5e? At least in Pathfinder they managed to do something interesting and mitigate the status madness.

Yet I still picked Inquisitor due to flexible spell casting and the ability to build a solid melee damage dealer with the class.
Paladin is one of my favorite 5E classes. Smite works on everything and you can deal obscene amounts of damage, while still having access to strong offensive and defensive spells. His class features have a very big impact on the game, with Aura of Protection (CHA to saving throw for you and your allies) and Aura of Warding (resistance to damage from spells for you and your allies) being my absolute favorite.

Takamori

Learned
I know Paladins are loltier almost fighter tier in 3.5 even with the book of Exalted Cheese(Deeds) and Complete Champion , but how are they in 5e? At least in Pathfinder they managed to do something interesting and mitigate the status madness.

Yet I still picked Inquisitor due to flexible spell casting and the ability to build a solid melee damage dealer with the class.
Mechanically, Paladins are really good in 5e. They are still fairly MAD, but they're probably the best martial class.
As long you can do a fairly decent early point buy in the character sheet I'm all for it, problem with 3.5 back in my school I was able to play my paladin because had the luck during the dice rolls pick 3 18's, and the other stats around 12-14. If I were to build a character with the 28 PB I probably would be running 16 STR ,16 CHA and the rest of the points in CON and enough on dex to not be on negative, but the downside the paladin would be a turbo retard with 8 int and 8 wis

Takamori

Learned

Mechanically, Paladins are really good in 5e. They are still fairly MAD, but they're probably the best martial class.

Paladin is one of my favorite 5E classes. Smite works on everything and you can deal obscene amounts of damage, while still having access to strong offensive and defensive spells. His class features have a very big impact on the game, with Aura of Protection (CHA to saving throw for you and your allies) and Aura of Warding (resistance to damage from spells for you and your allies) being my absolute favorite.

You guys are giving me way too much hope, I hope Swen don't fuck it up with the next patch :whiteknight:

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron

As long you can do a fairly decent early point buy in the character sheet I'm all for it, problem with 3.5 back in my school I was able to play my paladin because had the luck during the dice rolls pick 3 18's, and the other stats around 12-14. If I were to build a character with the 28 PB I probably would be running 16 STR ,16 CHA and the rest of the points in CON and enough on dex to not be on negative, but the downside the paladin would be a turbo retard with 8 int and 8 wis
If you go PB or standard array, a Variant Human or Half-Elf Paladin can start with 16 Str, 16 Cha, 14 Con, and 8-12 in everything else.

You guys are giving me way too much hope, I hope Swen don't fuck it up with the next patch :whiteknight:
5e Paladins are in Solasta, too, implemented pretty faithfully to the PnP rules.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Why is that a downside? Just take the opportunity to RP Humperdoo from Preacher.

CodexTotalWar

Learned

They are pretty solid in 5e. A lot of people have them in the upper tiers of 5E classes.

They excel in many aspects (survivability, damage, support) and are mainly held back by MAD and limited long rest spell-slots. Smite now converts spell-slots to damage on attacks (which is very action-efficient) and works against everyone (not alignment restricted anymore). Their Divine Grace ability is now an aura that affects teammates too, and +CHA to saves is more impactful due to bounded accuracy. Range and mobility are probably their 2 biggest weaknesses, but the both can be solved with the right spells/dips/builds.

They are also far more competent casters now, since half-casters are much more effective in 5e compared to their previous counterparts:
  • Spell damage and duration no longer scales by caster level
  • Spell DC also aren't based on the spell-level casted - so if you have the stats, your spell DC can be as good as any full casters
  • Far more spell slots relative to full casters compared to 3.5E (especially at later levels). For example:
    • In 5E, a level 20 wizard have 7 more spell slots (22 vs 15), and no bonus slots due to stats
    • In 3.5E, a level 20 wizard had 24 more spell slots (36 vs 12), pre-stat bonuses (which further widens the gap).
Combine the above with the 5E concentration mechanics - the value of having another caster (even half) that can maintain another concentration buff is much higher compared to 3.5E.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

Paladins in 5E need no Dexterity or Wisdom. Dexterity no longer impacts (neither positively nor negatively) your AC, and Wisdom no longer impacts your spellcasting.

Takamori

Learned
Paladin in 5E need no Dexterity or Wisdom. Dexterity no longer impacts (neither positively nor negatively) your AC, and Wisdom no longer impacts your spellcasting.
Yeah I remember one of the complaints that Dex was a god stat since it affected AC, to hit (for some builds), initiative and reflex save. Reading the SRD article still affect initiative and add bonus armor for some specific armors. So Mythril Full Plate Armor is still a thing I presume?

Yosharian

Arcane
You can actually make a DEX-based Paladin too, nothing about the class requires you to be STR and DEX saves are more important in 5E.

Paladins are basically S-tier martials in 5E

Yosharian

Arcane
Paladin in 5E need no Dexterity or Wisdom. Dexterity no longer impacts (neither positively nor negatively) your AC, and Wisdom no longer impacts your spellcasting.
Yeah I remember one of the complaints that Dex was a god stat since it affected AC, to hit (for some builds), initiative and reflex save. Reading the SRD article still affect initiative and add bonus armor for some specific armors. So Mythril Full Plate Armor is still a thing I presume?
Nah DEX is still a god stat tbh, far more important than STR generally speaking, though a lot of it depends on your DM

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Dex doesn't affect AC for heavy armor at all. Medium armor is capped at +2 Dex bonus, Light armor doesn't have a cap. Mithral heavy armors still exist but their only benefit is that you don't have disadvantage on Stealth checks like normal.
Everyone gets Weapon Finesse, so you get +Dex to hit & damage if you use an appropriate weapon.
Dex is a god stat but Str builds work fine too, 2-handed or polearm builds are especially good (if you can get the feats for them).

Efe

Erudite
Nwn2 warlocks were great.
No class needs that much free power. perfectly balanced.

Takamori

Learned
Dex doesn't affect AC for heavy armor at all. Medium armor is capped at +2 Dex bonus, Light armor doesn't have a cap. Mithral heavy armors still exist but their only benefit is that you don't have disadvantage on Stealth checks like normal.
Everyone gets Weapon Finesse, so you get +Dex to hit & damage if you use an appropriate weapon.
Dex is a god stat but Str builds work fine too, 2-handed or polearm builds are especially good (if you can get the feats for them).

Huh, might do a 3.5 Shadowbane Inquisitor if I were to adopt Mithral Equipment. But reading the article its basically Adamantite your go to armor end game to avoid getting your ass critted.

Takamori

Learned

Why is that a downside? Just take the opportunity to RP Humperdoo from Preacher.
Its good for one session, but this Paladin endured a 6 years campaign, behaving like a retard for 6 years I think that would be a burden in my mental health :popamole:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I hate to admit it, but I think Paladin/Rogue is a better martial multiclass than Cleric/Rogue. Smite is obscene.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
I hate to admit it, but I think Paladin/Rogue is a better martial multiclass than Cleric/Rogue. Smite is obscene.
While generally I don't like multiclassing, Rogue 3 can be fun almost with everything with the Assassin archetype. I know it's overkill, but with Assassinate a Paladin can deal unbelievable amounts of damage.

Alternatively, a Paladin/Warlock refills his Smite uses with short rests and that's pretty sick too.

Yosharian

Arcane
I dunno why you would multiclass a Paladin with a Rogue, of all things. You want more spell slots. Multiclassing just delays that, and other insanely good Paladin class features, not to mention ASIs / feats. 5E is really not conducive to multiclassing, frankly.

Yosharian

Arcane
The only multiclass that really makes sense is Sorcerer, or Warlock, and preferably Hexblade, the other patrons offer dubious benefits, comparatively. Sorc gives you tons of spell slots but you give up a lot of class features so it's debatable whether it's worth it in the end. Probably not

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Getting a couple Sorcerer levels for Quicken is nice for Warlocks. For Paladins, too, if you have access to the weapon-attack cantrips.
Personally I like Eldritch Knight/Wizard (Abjurer) and Arcane Trickster/Wizard (Diviner) too.
But multiclassing doesn't really let you break the game like 3.5e sometimes did, and if you don't have things planned out, it's a great way to gimp yourself.

Takamori

Learned
I dunno why you would multiclass a Paladin with a Rogue, of all things. You want more spell slots. Multiclassing just delays that, and other insanely good Paladin class features, not to mention ASIs / feats. 5E is really not conducive to multiclassing, frankly.
Well reading the mats here, pick PLD+Rogue so you can open with a crit smite on the High Value Target of the combat, there is tactical merits. Any rules that limit which weapon can be used on the assassin strike? If not open with a Greatsword Smite Crit seems pretty nice.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Well reading the mats here, pick PLD+Rogue so you can open with a crit smite on the High Value Target of the combat, there is tactical merits. Any rules that limit which weapon can be used on the assassin strike? If not open with a Greatsword Smite Crit seems pretty nice.
You only get Sneak Attack dice with a Finesse weapon (so: ranged, dagger, shortsword, scimitar, or rapier, pretty much).

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
You only get Sneak Attack dice with a Finesse weapon (so: ranged, dagger, shortsword, scimitar, or rapier, pretty much).

Seems like it might be cool as an Arabic (FR: Al-Qadim) sort of zealot holy assassin with a scimitar, re: trying to keep things thematically consistent rather than just grab bagging for munchkinism.

Takamori

Learned

Seems like it might be cool as an Arabic (FR: Al-Qadim) sort of zealot holy assassin with a scimitar, re: trying to keep things thematically consistent rather than just grab bagging for munchkinism.
Speaking of which Falchion still a thing in 5e? I remember that was the classic two handed finesse weapon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom