Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 - now with lootbox drama

Deleted member 7219

How’s the single player? First time you could play as the Empire since TIE Fighter, right? (Not counting Galactic Battlegrounds)

How’s the single player? First time you could play as the Empire since TIE Fighter, right? (Not counting Galactic Battlegrounds)

Nope, off the top of my head Rebellion and Empire at War both let you do that, and that's ignoring more dubious entries like JK1, Galaxies, and Force Unleashed.

Edit: Also obviously X-wing Vs TIE Fighter

Deleted member 7219

Nope, off the top of my head Rebellion and Empire at War both let you do that, and that's ignoring more dubious entries like JK1, Galaxies, and Force Unleashed.

JK1 doesn't let you play as Empire. You play as Kyle Katarn, still fighting the Empire (or at least the Jerec-controlled Remnant), but you claim the Valley's power for yourself.

Galaxies doesn't have a storyline until you get to the expansions, which are railroaded C&C-less crap anyway. I guess you can fly for the Imperials in Jump for Lightspeed but that's it.

Force Unleashed has a linear storyline just like Uncharted.

JK1 doesn't let you play as Empire. You play as Kyle Katarn, still fighting the Empire (or at least the Jerec-controlled Remnant), but you claim the Valley's power for yourself.

Galaxies doesn't have a storyline until you get to the expansions, which are railroaded C&C-less crap anyway. I guess you can fly for the Imperials in Jump for Lightspeed but that's it.

Well...

Well...

I gave 2 examples that inarguably let you play as the empire (and then edited to add a third), and then gave three examples of games that one could kind of make an argument let you do so (though I would not agree). You cherry-picked the three that I labeled dubious and didn't engage with the rest of the post that refuted your initial postulate.

Deleted member 7219

Well...

I gave 2 examples that inarguably let you play as the empire (and then edited to add a third), and then gave three examples of games that one could kind of make an argument let you do so (though I would not agree). You cherry-picked the three that I labeled dubious and didn't engage with the rest of the post that refuted your initial postulate.

Hey, relax bud. I never played Rebellion so I'll concede that point to you. I wasn't really impressed with Empire at War and don't remember much of it, but I concede that too.

I definitely disagree with the others though.

Peace.

Well...

Hey, relax bud. I never played Rebellion so I'll concede that point to you. I wasn't really impressed with Empire at War and don't remember much of it, but I concede that too.

Peace.

We're all good. Just indulging my inner autist.:yeah:

Deleted member 7219

Well...

Peace.

We're all good. Just indulging my inner autist.:yeah:

I play an autist on the Codex too. It's all good, man.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If I recall correctly the campaign starts out with some pretty neat Imperial Agent vibes but as it goes on it meanders around and becomes far less interesting. Also the "hero levels" or whatever are much clunkier than the normal game. Still it did really well with the Star Wars atmosphere, which is why I said a while back it's worth a playthrough for big fans. Just don't expect Jedi Outcast or anything close to that quality. It's a serviceable popamole thing with good franchise stroking.

Deleted member 7219

Battlefront 2 (the good one) SP campaign is republic clones turning into imperial clones. There's little of plot, but I liked it.

Yeah, I played that one, it was ok. The actual gameplay was basically arena matches but with lines of dialogue thrown in, which made it feel like some shooters from the 90s.

Cool name

Arcane
I hear you defect pretty quickly, which makes it more similar to The Force Unleashed than it is to Tie Fighter or OG Battlefront 2. If anything, you might actually defect later in TFU than in NuBF2.

Kinda bait-and-switch that they went all-in on marketing it as "play da bad guyz" when it's just another game where you defect to the heroes before you're even halfway through.

L'ennui

Magister
So the game any good?

Yes, it's a fun MP-focused shooter with third-person hero shenanigans that spice things up and create some pretty memorable moments. It's also graphically gorgeous to the point of being distracting.

It's a pretty casual game. It's fun for a while. I think most people will forget about it in a month.

It's not that casual if you're playing to win, tbh. On the larger gametypes where you're just one grunt in a sea of grunts, yeah you can spend your time sightseeing if you feel like it, but if you're pushing for victory or playing the more intimate gametypes, you better be focused and on top of things. The weapon and ability loadouts also add a light strategy element to the game, and the heroes take some real skill and/or practice to master.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
You defect after about five missions in.

After your commander (and father IIRC) decides to nuke an Imperial planet full of loyalists to "teach the rebels a lesson." One of the most retarded plot twists I have seen lately.

I stopped playing the campaign right after defection happened, but the few Imperial missions were OK to good. Don’t expect miracles though since this is an SP part of an MP shooter - as long as you approach it with this in mind, there is fun to be had there. MP is good btw and still widely played, I enjoyed both ground combat and the star fighter game mod as well.

Regarding playing for the Empire, aside of TIE Fighter and the Imperial side of the Balance of Power campaign for X-Wing vs TIE Fighter, the best one would be in Force Commander (an old and IMO extremely underappreciated RTS). You end up defecting as well, but the Imperial campaign is very long (starting with search for CP3O and R2D2 on Tatooine and ending shortly after construction of the second Death Star starts at Endor) and even the reason for defection isn’t as retarded as usual.

You have a series of disagreements with your commander over several missions, which culminate when he orders a pointless massacre of a refugee camp, you get arrested after you refuse but a group of your loyal stormtroopers breaks you out and joining the rebels is your only choice after that

Drakron

Arcane
I hear you defect pretty quickly, which makes it more similar to The Force Unleashed than it is to Tie Fighter or OG Battlefront 2. If anything, you might actually defect later in TFU than in NuBF2.

Kinda bait-and-switch that they went all-in on marketing it as "play da bad guyz" when it's just another game where you defect to the heroes before you're even halfway through.

You defect during Operation Cinder but the problem is after that is Naboo and then starts the switching as you play as Han Solo then go back to Strong Independent Women for Bespin, then you play as Lando and then its the Jakku Showdown so it feels that for about 2/3 of the game you play as The Empire and then you get some missions as the Republic because Lando and Han sections.

And the ending before the Last Jedi DLC was playing as Kylo Ren as the epilogue and the finale added is rather short.

The other problem is that as in TIE Fighter you played during when the Empire was The Empire and you had various missions, this game quickly puts you at Endor so for most of the game you are seeing the Empire getting their asses kicked, its really sidelines the Empire as it was and they just became "the bad guys" because expecting any kind of subtle writing in these days its too much.

Drakron

Arcane
You defect after about five missions in.

After your commander (and father IIRC) decides to nuke an Imperial planet full of loyalists to "teach the rebels a lesson." One of the most retarded plot twists I have seen lately.

Operation Cinder was Palpatine final postmortem command, its still fucking dumb going over with it ... especially considering Rise of Palpatine requires REALLY mental gymnastics for that to work (and in the Dark Empire, Palpatine had a entirely different but also similar plan) not to say the Empire simply broke into separate factions after Endor (and The Mandalorian kinda making that canon) but to be fair to the game writers, they could not know that at the time since they werent even allowed to work with The Last Jedi material, let alone Jar Jar shitty fanmovie so you kinda have to forgive then as the only thing they had to go with as The Farce Awakens and the Lost Stars young adult "canon" novel as well the complete failure of Lucasfilm "story group" (more like Twitter group) to maintain a coherent story across the various media.

My understanding is that the vast majority of planets in Star Wars are nowhere near as populated as a planet like Earth. Presumably due to easy space travel most planets are comparable to a single earth city since unless it's an amazingly good planet there's no reason to settle anything beyond the single best place or so. And on the galactic scale of millions of planets, taking out a single one with a million or so people isn't particularly notable. The Death Star being used against Alderaan was only notable because it was one of the particularly populated worlds and it was able to be accomplished so easily with no shield defense or (presumably) fleet able to stop it. This is as opposed to leveling a planet with the rest of the imperial fleet which required a lot of time and a huge concentration of force that left the rest of the galaxy undefended. Also you can be certain the Death Star being used on Alderaan was the personal wish of the Emperor, Tarkin wouldn't have just randomly blown up a planet.

Also, the Empire (from the original trilogy) is supposed to be efficiently evil. Not just wantonly cruel. Destroying a planet that is majority loyal imperial citizens to kill some rebels doesn't really make sense in that context. The evilness of the empire goes the other way, they care nothing about throwing endless stormtroopers or tie fighters at a problem because they consider these assets utterly disposable and replaceable.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yes, Alderaan was technically a seditious world so destroying it made some sense (and certainly didn’t create a loss for Empire itself). What happens in BF2 campaign is an equivalent of China nuking Shanghai to show the world how determined it is. It is made clear in the cutscenes that the planet is 100% loyal and ingame you see that there are numerous Imperial forces present on surface which dont get evacuated. Mind you that this is already post Battle of Endor so the mindless wasting of resources makes even less sense than it would earlier in the time line. One can´t help but ask how could Empire function in the first place if it was ran by a bunch of complete madmen.

But of course, one can hardly expect non-shit writing in a contemporary MP shooter... What I find astonishing is that there are apparently people who write shit plot lines like this for living when most people who GMed some PnP RPG at some point could probably come up with something more interesting than "after x years of service you find out that your commander is a lunatic."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom