Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Cyberpunk 2077

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Pretty decent review, all in all.

I would’ve probably blasted over the uninspiring - to put it mildly - character systems and the complete lack of 2020 inspiration aside from a list of familiar names and some setting backdrops a bit more, but mostly it was an agreeable read.

Last edited:

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
In terms of any form of art or entertainment, mediocrity is the worst outcome. Even outright bad is better because bad can still be entertaining (hence "so bad it's good" term). Mediocrity is bland and boring; a waste of fucking time.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
The truest line from the interview is: Yes, the story is what holds this mess together. That and the purty graphics on my 3070 rig.

I actually do care about the characters, their backstory, the interesting side quests that add to that, and the main overall story I found very engaging and well written and somewhat executed.

Everything else beyond that, which is alot, is very very mediocre to downright bad and unfinished.

Overall, very disappointing considering the promises, hype and all that shiet from the past 8 years.

They need to go into No Man's Sky mode, and fix this shit up asap

This game was a wasted opportunity, that's the worst part of it all.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
I remember playing Shadowrun: Dragonfall back in 2014 and thinking "Man, if CP2077 is going to be like this but with big budget qualities..."

Just a reminder that it's best to always expect shit these days because at worst you won't be surprised.

Turjan

Arcane
Good review, even though your experience regarding technical details of the GTA-like components may differ.
was a while since i played gta. In general I was asking myself why im not playing gta5 instead quite a lot.
In general I felt like gta never tried to be a shooter. Meanwhile cp77 did and failed spectacularly.
I meant, for example, the fake cars, which I only get in the Badlands, in the far distance. I don't get cars running into your own. Plus, there's some weirdness going on on the motorway ring at the entrance to Arroyo, which may relate to some code regarding the racing quest. Stuff like this seems to differ very much from system to system you play the game on.

That's not true. For example, the result of the River quest line gets news coverage. However, the general impression is that the news coverage hardly changes, which gets more obvious the more of the extra content you do. The main quest overwhelms everything else in this regard.
I dont follow. Line you quoted was to show fake world reactivity. Instead of having part of town without electricity - you get news flash. You get news flashes for a bunch of quests up to the point you get surprised whenever they are missing.
The blackout was only short, and you were in the Badlands at that point. My specific comment was directed at your point that "Side quests don’t get even such mentions." They do, at least some of them.
At least what happened on that farm with the kids (River's quest) got regular news coverage. Sinnerman and follow-ups do. I was told the "Woman of La Mancha" quest got a mention, but if so, I missed that one.

For example taxi quest
one of resolutions is delamain leaving night city. How come there are no mentions about this?
Or maybe I did miss time window to see the news. Too bad you dont get those over radio.

Still my point was how in cp77 game reactivity is basically ending elevator slides
Delamain the company stays in town. It's even a mandatory element for one of the story endings
The Sun
I guess that's an inconsistency, yes.

To make that clear: I have no issue with your main statement. There isn't much reactivity to anything in the game, yes. On the other hand, some of the reactivity that is there is easy to miss if you are not very attentive.

Last edited:

Paul_cz

Arcane
Comparing this unfavourably to shit like fallout 4 or skyrim really doesn't bode well.

I really don't understand how cdpr manages to make so many aspects of their games worse with every try.
Lukaszek is wrong. Cyberpunk is vastly, vastly better than Fallout 3, 4 or Skyrim. In its writing AND in its gameplay.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Man, the GPU scarcity is on point. Game'll be better when we're able to buy GPUs to run it. Can't even get mad at CP77 being unfinished.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Review is strangely insensitive to any aesthetic quality of the game. I'm not saying these qualities were good ; I'm saying it discusses nothing about the presentation, the music, the themes, and so on. Very little about the narrative or the writing either (it's "good"). That makes it seem dry, to say the least, combined with all those tedious descriptions of the systems (tedious for someone who played the game I guess). Not the best write-up in my opinion, although I don't disagree with most of it. We need those failed literature majors in here to ramble on about the substance of the game (or the lack of substance, but that is a kind of substance in itself of course)

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Delamain the company stays in town. It's even a mandatory element for one of the story endings
i think in each delamain ending that results in 'main' personality gone, you end up with one/piece of his personality left behind to serve you exclusively. As such it doesnt contradict your further interactions.

I remember playing Shadowrun: Dragonfall back in 2014 and thinking "Man, if CP2077 is going to be like this but with big budget qualities..."
Just a reminder that it's best to always expect shit these days because at worst you won't be surprised.
Each time I looked at cyberware I wondered why there are no restrictions like in shadowrun. I'm not privy to shadowrun/cyberpunk lore and know only what does game showed to me. Yet there was notion of cyberpsychosis and it probably could have been utilized somehow to affect player.

Review is strangely insensitive to any aesthetic quality of the game. I'm not saying these qualities were good ; I'm saying it discusses nothing about the presentation, the music, the themes, and so on. Very little about the narrative or the writing either (it's "good"). That makes it seem dry, to say the least, combined with all those tedious descriptions of the systems (tedious for someone who played the game I guess). Not the best write-up in my opinion, although I don't disagree with most of it. We need those failed literature majors in here to ramble on about the substance of the game (or the lack of substance, but that is a kind of substance in itself of course)
Im barely literate. When I enter art galery I say 'this looks nice' at painting that I like. If anything I might notice that chainmail was painted in interesting way. I listen to disco polo.
Let this be a proof that anyone can send review and it can likely end up on front page.
While I wanted to keep it spoiler free I do agree to presentation part falling short. Quite frankly I got tired from writing all of this.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Review is strangely insensitive to any aesthetic quality of the game.
Rather bizarrely, the review contains no mention of Night City itself and the exterior environment it offers, despite this being the one element the game does well (at least during the six-hour night or when it's raining). Although the review did spend an entire section in order to discuss the frustration of driving vehicles. :M

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I don’t expect many to talk about CP2077 two… five years from now
On the contrary, I expect that 2 years from now it will be on a lot of "best games ever" list, once they fix the game, add multiplayer and make a next-gen re-release.

Not that they will fix the fundamental issues with the game, but even now and even here in the Codex there's a lot of people who enjoyed it "for what it is".

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I disagree
Kill yourself. Either write a post with actual content worth reading or don't bother posting at all.

:nocountryforshitposters:

No

I already dropped my 50 cents about the game in the release thread, through a bunch of messages. I'm on this thread just because the salt.

Although I have a more positive view about the game I think the Codex review is fine. It nails some of the several problems that the game has. Like lack of C&C, poor character constitution, half-backed sandbox elements and bad itemization.

rojay

Scholar
That review is incoherent in a way that is not connected to the author's native language.

"There are 6 attributes, with one that is cut/hidden/awaiting DLC. Each covers 2-3 skill trees that are unique to it. The maximum level of both attributes and skills is 20. Attributes and perks need to be assigned manually, and you get 1 attribute point during level-ups along with a single perk point. This is the only source of attributes, while you’ll be getting plenty of perk points in other ways. Depending on how much you grind explore – you will finish the game around level 20-30. This means that you’ll be able to max a single attribute out of the 6 available ones."

How many points do you get to assign when you create a new character? Do you get any points to assign when you create a new character? I stopped paying close attention around "cyberware without barriers," so maybe it came up later?

I love a good train wreck as much as the next guy, but I came in thinking the train wreck was going to be the game, not the review. Turns out it was both!

Keep rolling along, Codex. This is, how you say? "Incline."

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
You are deluded if you think the company's plans are impacted by a random dude making a poll in the forum and 500 people replying.
we were talking about reception changing, not dev plans. I gave you random poll from official forum shedding some light on how much people might be anticipating it.

Aside from what multiplayer is supposed to be. FPS pvp experience with many of core game features gone, like slowing time? Would wallhacks stay?

Jared

Barely Literate
Kinda sad that the FPS aspect wasn't as comparable to Fallout 4, which is saying something considering that game is spewing in its own mediocrity. I'd never understand why they didn't try to emulate the combat from E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy rather than creating a subpar combat system found in other large budget AAA titles.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
I expect that 2 years from now it will be on a lot of "best games ever" list, once they fix the game, add multiplayer and make a next-gen re-release.
The game is barely glued together, they had to strip down some systems to bare minimum in order to make them somewhat work - adding multiplayer on top of this mess doesn't sound like a good plan. As of now it needs months, if not a year, of patching and overall is missing like 4 years of development to be what it was supposed to be.

Multiplayer may work in a game that is lackluster in terms of content but a has a solid core - as in gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom