Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

Regarding marketing:
After Obsidian was aquired by Microsoft, they released Outer Worlds. Which sucked massively.
But it sold well, and reviewed well. So it seems Microsoft does do the marketing for Obsidian.

However, Obsidian seems to use this breathing space to lower their ambitions, for some reason. They have fired all their good writers and hired bland SJWs in their place. So tbh Obsidian will now be a knock-off Bethesda.

who was fired? Chris? Didnt he - by his own admission - quit?
Well, tbh I don't know if they were fired or quit. But results speak for themselves. PoE2 had extremely crap story, in spite of being the type of game where we should've been able to expect a good story. They let Carrie Patel be head writer or something, ffs.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
Is she also involved in this project, does anyone know?

I thought she was heading up the 2nd TOW DLC and got brought in to "fix" the writing and take charge of the writing from Kate D. in DLC1.

Might be on something else, but if so, avoiding it.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
josh was fired from the pillars of eternity franchise rip

Except for the who-cares tabletop version, he probably quit PoE.

If what people here said is true, it probably only required him swallowing Feargus's full shaft down to the groin, cupping his slam-dunk basketballs in his hand, and holding back his tears as his trembling mouth firmly encircled Feargus' cock for a few minutes to buy his freedom. If that.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
lmao he probably just got bored and wanted to work on something else. ya'll realize he worked on pillars nonstop from 2012-2018 right? That's a chunk of his life right there

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Two things Obsidan unable to break into Bethesda market share are.
1. Open world FPS/TPS RPG but doesn't have an easy to use modkit on par with Bethesda Creation Engine.
Hypothetically, can Obsidian now use Creation for Avowed? Sawyer always praised Bethesda's tools for being the best Obsidian used or something like that.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Hypothetically, can Obsidian now use Creation for Avowed? Sawyer always praised Bethesda's tools for being the best Obsidian used or something like that.

There's a scary thought.

Any news or romours? I have googled the game and haven't found anything new on the official channels.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
Obsidian is the gift that keeps on giving.

Apparently:

- Chris Parker and Feargus Slam Dunkulus got into a huge falling out over Avowed, guess it wasn't going great
- ...in front of the studio so everyone got to see it...
- ...after this, Parker gets yanked off Avowed (!).
- Bobby Null (lead designer?) also gets yanked off Avowed.
- Art Directors switch to someone else, not sure who.
- Not sure who new art, lead designer, and project director except the new project director and lead designer is "not Sawyer."

Not a good sign. Wow, what a clusterfuck.

Before you ask for citations, I got multiple citations on this info, but still happy to get more confirmation and any details I missed (kinda hoping someone here also can independently confirm this if they have access to Obsidian gossips and complainers/worriers).

Gordian Nutt

Educated
Can confirm some rumors on Avowed...

None of these people are fired, just moved around

Parker gone from Avowed, replaced with Patel ughhhhhh
Bobby Null gone from Avowed
Art directors definitely switched, don't know old one or new one

I did not hear about a specific fight but these are big changes
No one talking about it seemed to think these changes were for a good reason, sounds like something bad happened

Extra confirmaton would be good

Briar Diem

Arcane
Developer
Obsidian is the gift that keeps on giving.

Apparently:

- Chris Parker and Feargus Slam Dunkulus got into a huge falling out over Avowed, guess it wasn't going great
- ...in front of the studio so everyone got to see it...
- ...after this, Parker gets yanked off Avowed (!).
- Bobby Null (lead designer?) also gets yanked off Avowed.
- Art Directors switch to someone else, not sure who.
- Not sure who new art, lead designer, and project director except the new project director and lead designer is "not Sawyer."

Not a good sign. Wow, what a clusterfuck.

Before you ask for citations, I got multiple citations on this info, but still happy to get more confirmation and any details I missed (kinda hoping someone here also can independently confirm this if they have access to Obsidian gossips and complainers/worriers).

Pattel is the new director. Matt Hansen is the new art director. Bobby Null wasn't the lead designer on this project, he was the creative director. There is no replacement for him so far.

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll: hope MS shuts the studio down lmao

they don't need to fund the surface-level clones now that they have bethesda

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom