Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Harebrained Schemes General Discussion Thread

Will HBS stay on the path of the incline?

• Yes, it will always stay on the right side

Votes: 26 9.7%
  • For some time yes, then it will inevitably fall

Votes: 45 16.8%
  • It already started becoming a decline

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • It is alrady a decline

Votes: 30 11.2%
  • It was never an incline to begin with.

Votes: 69 25.7%
  • How the fuck could I know?

Votes: 47 17.5%
  • kingcomrade in order to make well thought answers meaningles

Votes: 18 6.7%

• Total voters

Yosharian

Arcane
I for one can't wait to see more Muslim women doing repairs on my mechs in the next game

Hell, they should make the entire team Muslim, and give all the 'Mech pilots a special ALLAHU AKBAR ability which detonates the fusion core taking out all nearby mechs in a blaze of glory

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
so much butthurt for 1 NPC lmao

Hopefully another Shadowrun, but just recruiting means that the game will be quite far away

And if they are going to use Battletech engine or something make it run better, BT runs like ass the last time I played it

RegionalHobo

Scholar
can t say i give a fuck for harebrained, even if dragonfall is really good and hong kong is decent

that said i wish the ip was free from MS

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They should make another Shadowrun game but this time in an engine that doesn't suck ass and is artificially limited due to mobile compatibility (yeah they upgraded the engine for Hong Kong but it still sucks).

agris

Arcane
Patron
JarlFrank you're giving them too much credit to assume that the engine was the principal limitation of their Shadowrun series. I think it was mostly conscious design decisions.

Imagine what those games would have been if:

1. Itemization was not a linear A > B > C > D ordeal. If armor, spells, weapons and drones had different tradeoffs, and everything was not reduced to [Previous Version] + 1.
  2. There was more environmental interaction opportunities for combat maps, both in combat (ala Blackguards) and outside of combat (such as the mission where you can active the surgical saw with an enemy in the room to kill them).
  3. Hired runners that died on missions were permanently removed from hiring
  4. Healing items were less plentiful
  5. Improved enemy AI

Non-linearity in itemization (#1) and more lethality to the combat (#4-5) would have gone a long way I think.

V_K

Arcane
Healing items were less plentiful
The problem isn't so much that they are plentiful - limited inventory space takes care of that - but that companion (and especially bot) inventories reset on the map change. And that is an engine thing.
Itemization was not a linear A > B > C > D ordeal. If armor, spells, weapons and drones had different tradeoffs, and everything was not reduced to [Previous Version] + 1.
There is a bit of that with armor actually, you have a choice between better armor and slightly worse armor that gives bonuses to some skills.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Healing items were less plentiful
The problem isn't so much that they are plentiful - limited inventory space takes care of that - but that companion (and especially bot) inventories reset on the map change. And that is an engine thing.

That's right, thanks for reminding me. Its been years since I played, but I remembered there was something casual about consumable items.

It is not an engine limitation, the engine clearly has state tracking. It has a saved game system, and your personal consumables do not refresh. It's a design choice, a poor one.

V_K

Arcane
It is not an engine limitation, the engine clearly has state tracking. It has a saved game system, and your personal consumables do not refresh.
Yeah, but that was something only patched in later, after fans demanded it. The original SRR and IIRC even the first version of Dragonfall could only save at the start of a level.

Tigranes

Arcane
I continue to be fascinated by how Shadowrun/Dragonfall is so fondly remembered by folks here - all I ever saw from the entire franchise was decent, serviceable, but also completely and utterly forgettable games that showed zero potential as to doing anything special. The story and writing was entirely forgettable, and so were all of the combat systems, and then laboriously boring matrix sequences. I can't remember a single thing about these games where I say "gee, I wish others would learn from this / gee, I wish they had time and money to flesh this thing out". Whereas Logic Artists, for example, show that.

Like, I enjoyed Dragonfall, and I'm glad they're around, but what is this spark in their games that I'm apparently blind to?

Ivan

Arcane
When I think of the trilogy I think of the compas first. They did that particularly well, bolstered by strong art. But I agree with the rest of yall', the gameplay was more negative than meh.

V_K

Arcane
Like, I enjoyed Dragonfall, and I'm glad they're around, but what is this spark in their games that I'm apparently blind to?
For me it's two things: variety and tightness. There's just a lot of different things to try, both in and out of combat, and many different ways to solve a level or an encounter. None if it is terribly deep mechanically, but in terms of variety it's far ahead of 95% of the competition. And on the other hand, there's very little padding - no grinding trash combats, no fetch quests, no crafting or loot treadmills, dialogs are concise and to the point (that went to shit in HK unfortunately). These games don't overstay their welcome - which is, once again, a virtue that the vast majority of RPGs can't boast.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I continue to be fascinated by how Shadowrun/Dragonfall is so fondly remembered by folks here - all I ever saw from the entire franchise was decent, serviceable, but also completely and utterly forgettable games that showed zero potential as to doing anything special. The story and writing was entirely forgettable, and so were all of the combat systems, and then laboriously boring matrix sequences. I can't remember a single thing about these games where I say "gee, I wish others would learn from this / gee, I wish they had time and money to flesh this thing out". Whereas Logic Artists, for example, show that.

They are decent shadowrun games and the encounters on Dragonfall are pretty nice, not so much on Hong Kong but still good enough. Yeah, they could be much better but what RPG is out there that let you fight enemies while your hacker is on the Matrix? Summon spirits on chinese slums and and have drones moving all through the map? Yeah, it is super basic on many aspects but there are no better alternatives,only decent Cyberpunk rpgs released on the last 10 years and are on 2d to boot.

Tigranes

Arcane

They are decent shadowrun games and the encounters on Dragonfall are pretty nice, not so much on Hong Kong but still good enough. Yeah, they could be much better but what RPG is out there that let you fight enemies while your hacker is on the Matrix? Summon spirits on chinese slums and and have drones moving all through the map? Yeah, it is super basic on many aspects but there are no better alternatives,only decent Cyberpunk rpgs released on the last 10 years and are on 2d to boot.

Fair enough, and I think the Cyberpunk setting carries it a long way too. The way I saw it ultimately was that most encounters really boiled down to fairly classic turn-based combat that's been done better in a million places, plus a slow, boring, pointless Matrix layer that was like pulling teeth. I do appreciate the idea that it's cool to have those layers come together.

Invisible, Inc., for example, seems to me to give that experience in far more interesting ways.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
that companion (and especially bot) inventories reset on the map change.

It is not an engine limitation, the engine clearly has state tracking. It has a saved game system, and your personal consumables do not refresh. It's a design choice, a poor one.

If companion inventories never refreshed, I would never use items and I have no doubt the same would be true for most players. That "gotta save it for the 'when I need it' that never comes" drive combined with better things to spend money on (weapons, armor, cyberware/spells).

It seems sensible enough to me; you can't take their items and put them into your stash, and they're responsible for re-buying their own supplies, not you.

DeepOcean

Arcane
It was sort of cheap though, I always kamikazed drones, used spirits until no tomorrow and etc.

Codex Year of the Donut

almondblight

Arcane
Indeed, 2 out of the 5 people responsible for Dragonfall aren't at the company anymore (Simon Cameron, Mike McCain). And it's telling that the best game that HBS put out had the smallest team and was considered a side project (originally it was going to be a short DLC for SRR).

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
HBS will never make anything close to dragonfall again.
compare the credits of dragonfall to battletech
https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/shadowrun-dragonfall/credits
https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/battletech/credits

Half the people listed in shadowrun are interns, temps, or QA. The core team was very small. And many of those people are either missing or had very minor roles in battletech per the credits.
Yeah,hong kong was the peak of hbs,now they will go the bioware way. And end ups a joke company that nobody really wants to exist,yet it does exist.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom