Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Say one SHITTY thing about a GOOD game

Fyapowah

Novice
Fallout OST was plagiarised.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Gothic 2 - No option to become a Necromancer(Xardas apprentice) or Water magician. Mods like returning fixes it.

Xelocix

Learned
Mass Effect 1 reuses environments way too much. Side-missions become incredibly repetitive, immersion-breaking, and boring after seeing the same ship interior or underground bunker for the 100th time. Although I personally enjoy ME1's combat, enemy biotics hitting you with throw is absolute cancer as well.
KOTOR 2 was pushed out in an unfinished state and even the restored content mod doesn't patch the game fully. There are a lot of concepts and storylines that were cut out due to time restraints and couldn't be restored.
VTM:B 1 more or less has the exact same problems as KOTOR 2. VTM:B also has really shitty easy spam LMB2win combat.
Morrowind's combat accuracy, non-regening magicka, and slow movement speed weigh the early-game down a lot.
Half-Life 2's Ravenholm is designed absolutely nothing like a real town, and it always breaks my immersion due to that.
Dishonored 1's Chaos system is too punishing and turns the game into one massive cock-tease if you're going for the Low Chaos ending.
RE1 Remakes character writing makes everybody feel like they're an 80 IQ robot. Although I sort of enjoy RE1's cheesiness, I much prefer RE2+3 Remakes character direction.

Absinthe

Arcane
KotOR II's combat is fucking shit and easily trivialized. KotOR II's levels often resemble extended corridors where all you do is kill shit along the way, over and over again. KotOR II's itemization blows too. The only good thing about KotOR II is the writing and cutscenes really, and that's really only the case when modded.

I had to stop playing Dark Project when I was 4 years old because the undead were too scary.:cry:
They redid the undead level (Down in the Bonehoard) in Thief Gold to make it much easier. Originally when you had zombies on your ass in that level, you were pretty much fucked unless you wanted to try running through the entire level without stopping. Definitely a level that isn't forgiving of failure to sneak properly.

Thief 1 doesn't have enough domestic, non-fantasy levels.
There are a lot of custom levels though.

laclongquan

Arcane
The final boss fight in Silent Storm is completely retarded and drags to whole game down.
I will point out that it's the single biggest example of 3D combat map. Damn thing is too big and spacey(cylinder thing) that low rig computers just cant run it without crashing. Especially if you do tactical and slot snipers, explosive throwers on highest platform.

So not retarded. But I will agree to "drag the whole game down". CTD is down.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The final boss fight in Silent Storm is completely retarded and drags to whole game down.
I will point out that it's the single biggest example of 3D combat map. Damn thing is too big and spacey(cylinder thing) that low rig computers just cant run it without crashing. Especially if you do tactical and slot snipers, explosive throwers on highest platform.

So not retarded. But I will agree to "drag the whole game down". CTD is down.

It is a pretty retarded design and the technical problems that it can cause are just the icing on the proverbial shit-cake (btw the game would crash if you managed to demolish the panzerklein factory as well and same would go for many other large buildings). Up until the final mission the game presents you with often highly complex tactical missions with multiple ways of approaching them. The final mission breaks with all that and instead presents you with a straight up shootout with a woman that has a billion HP inside a flying dual laser panzerklein with billion armour points. Despite the size of the rocket silo, there is very little space to manoeuvre and you can more or less just trade shots in hope that you will bring her down before your whole team gets fucked. Then, when you actually manage to beat her, the game follows up with the second 1 vs 1 fight in another bland environment. First I saw the final mission I could not believe how shit it was after being completely amazed by the game and I spent lot of time trying to find out what the secret point of it all is (like maybe you can somehow use the rocket to destroy the panzerklein if you push some button somewhere etc).

Imagine if the whole game was designed like the final mission - it would be completely shit. Of course that is not the case, since the missions up to the very end maintain a very high degree of quality, only to culminate into the shit show I described above. If the devs made you simply fight your way through the silo like you do in numerous other missions, it would be fine. Instead the final mission feels like they had enough of developing the game and decided to take the most low effort way out possible. It really drags the whole experience down for me.

Jared

Barely Literate
S.T.A.L.K.E.R decided to keep all of it's X-Ray Engine glory, with its unoptimized state for multicore CPUs and the numerous amount of bugs.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
New Vegas doesn't have enough Legion content, and this fact physically pains me every time I play it.

Arcanum not having the descriptions that Fallout has for combat and other thing is one of the dumbest omissions of the game. I wouldn't say the combat in Arcanum is total shit, but it would have been much better if it just played more like Fallout. Arcanum's weak points are a little baffling in they're basically just them fucking up nice things about Fallout.

Too bad it took them until Temple of Elemental Evil to get their combat shit together.

Fallout not going in harder on its survival elements always felt like a huge missed opportunity. As is the Outdoorsman skill feels all but useless, and the little that's there is so light you might not even notice it's there. Other then that, the first game has some annoying stuff that got fixed in the sequel like not being have your party hold stuff without needing to buy it back from them, and party members blocking your away and not being able to move them. Speaking of not being able to move them, it sucks that you don't have control of your whole party in either Fallout or Fallout 2.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Fallout 1 and 2 are only good games if you have a massively high tolerance for old school video game bullshit.

Quillon

Arcane
Fallout 1 and 2 are only good games if you have a massively high tolerance for old school video game bullshit.
most of the bad things about fo2(and, I assume, FO1 via et tu) are either fixed or fixable via sfall

except for mouse cycling; I haven't even heard of anyone trying to fix/mod-out the crappiest of all time gameplay mechanic(or UI/UX? feature) in those games :(

yooow0t

Educated
Imoen's voice actor in Baldur's Gate makes me want to kill myself. HIYA, IT'S ME, IMOEN.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom