Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2020: Results & Cool Graphs

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
How does AoD and Underrail stack up against these?
When systems and combat are comparably good, for me it all boils down to single PC vs full party with complimentary builds. Not even a competition.

Drop Duck

Learned
What is real odd is number 2 and 3 games dont have a megathread in the first pages of general rpg forum, i dont remember seeing the thread on front page ever ... So i dont know what to think ,are they really games appreciated here or the poll is fictional and the purpose was only advertisement an marketing by devious felipepe and the corrupt staff?
Troubleshooter is on the jrpg forum, away from the filth that spends their entire day talking about Todds last game, or Todds next game.
Troubleshooter doesn't belong in JRPG forum, JRPGs are always terrible but Troubleshooter is a good game.
Troubleshooter is an KRPG, so it does not belong in the JRPG forum.

Vatnik Wumao
What is real odd is number 2 and 3 games dont have a megathread in the first pages of general rpg forum, i dont remember seeing the thread on front page ever ... So i dont know what to think ,are they really games appreciated here or the poll is fictional and the purpose was only advertisement an marketing by devious felipepe and the corrupt staff?
Troubleshooter is on the jrpg forum, away from the filth that spends their entire day talking about Todds last game, or Todds next game.
Troubleshooter doesn't belong in JRPG forum, JRPGs are always terrible but Troubleshooter is a good game.
Pathfinder is an RRPG, so it doesn't belong in the WRPG forum.

Drop Duck

Learned
Pathfinder is an RRPG, so it doesn't belong in the WRPG forum.
Pathfinder is borderline, it was based on a tabletop WRPG. So it's like the Japanese Wizardry games that carry a strong WRPG tradition while being technically JRPGs. A proper RRPG would be ATOM RPG.

Drop Duck

Learned
Hear me out before you downrate my post, jeez. Blobbers were invented in America but found real resonance in Japan and while the genre died in the West it still lived in the East. The same thing can be observed with Fallout, that kind of game isn't made in the States anymore but are still popular in the East. As can be seen in Fallout modding projects and all the attempts at recapturing the same spirit of Fallout. Another spiritual successor to Fallout is Underrail and that was put together by a Serb. The influences of Fallout might be as American as you can get with Mad Max, A Boy and His Dog, and more American pop culture as sources. Yet today when you look at the divide in taste between the East and West Westerners prefer more cinematic games while the people that keep the flame of Fallout alive are mostly Slavs, just like the Japanese kept on making quality dungeon crawlers after the blobber genre lost popularity in America.

Mortmal

Arcane
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46780

Now people outside of Codex think that most of us are anime fags.

What a shame.

It is not RPG Codex GOTY 2020.
Well you know codex is a very progressive and inclusive site , it gets out the best part from people too, things change . For exemple nikaido years ago he was always saying he wanted to gas every muslims, now after years here, he only wants to throw SOME of them in the sea.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hear me out before you downrate my post, jeez. Blobbers were invented in America but found real resonance in Japan and while the genre died in the West it still lived in the East. The same thing can be observed with Fallout, that kind of game isn't made in the States anymore but are still popular in the East. As can be seen in Fallout modding projects and all the attempts at recapturing the same spirit of Fallout. Another spiritual successor to Fallout is Underrail and that was put together by a Serb. The influences of Fallout might be as American as you can get with Mad Max, A Boy and His Dog, and more American pop culture as sources. Yet today when you look at the divide in taste between the East and West Westerners prefer more cinematic games while the people that keep the flame of Fallout alive are mostly Slavs, just like the Japanese kept on making quality dungeon crawlers after the blobber genre lost popularity in America.

Before I can agree that the Russians usurped the Isometric Fallout the same way the Japanese usurped the blobber I want at least one officially released game that is actually on an even playing field with them. Atom RPG doesn't quite cut it yet.

Also I wouldn't totally agree that the blobber is a JRPG now. Yes, most blobbers made today are JRPGs. But technically there are two genres there.
The western modern blobber, in games like Operencia, MMX, Grimoire and the eastern modern blobber (DRPG) in games like Etrian Odyssey, Sosc, Elminage.
There is just a curious case there where the eastern modern blobber is much closer to the historical western blobber.

But interesting thought.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How long will we have to wait for the Wasteland 3 review?.

When Roxor's not interested, the odds of getting a review are shaky. I own Wasteland 3, but I don't have a PC capable of playing it, nor would I even want to until it's been thoroughly patched.

Mortmal

Arcane

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yes as coming here will corrupt innocent child souls, it's not like people are even linking tubgirl pics anymore. Joke aside the people really sick in the head are moderator like that resetera guy, control freak, petty e-dictator, the real fascist.
Talking about the Codex now is somehow worse than during the height of GamerGate. Similarly, Roguey tagged Fargo on the GOTY tweet but I doubt he'll reply or say anything.

Overall, I feel that online forums are losing all relevance, especially since crowdfunding kinda died. If it's a controversial one then... might as well not exist.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Yes as coming here will corrupt innocent child souls, it's not like people are even linking tubgirl pics anymore. Joke aside the people really sick in the head are moderator like that resetera guy, control freak, petty e-dictator, the real fascist.
Talking about the Codex now is somehow worse than during the height of GamerGate. Similarly, Roguey tagged Fargo on the GOTY tweet but I doubt he'll reply or say anything.

Overall, I feel that online forums are losing all relevance, especially since crowdfunding kinda died. If it's a controversial one then... might as well not exist.

Culture war is in full force. Liberals demand ideological purical from the public. Merely mentioning the codex is probably enough to get you cancelled nowadays.
I wouldn't be quite so grim overall. The culture war is gonna end some day, and American and international politix will relax again.
While big media does everything to choke the competition out and bind users harder to twatter/reddit/instagramm/facebook there is a certain forum nostalgia in the water.

Maybe Rogueys' Senpai Fargo will remember again that this place exists if cancel culture is over.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
While some of that is true, I think it has more to do with broader changes... Twitter, Twitch, Steam forums and Discord fracturing communities, crowdfunding dying, "AA" devs being bought and not needing to directly reach to fans anymore, etc...

Making your own discord and bringing people there just makes much more sense than trying to please an already existing community you have no control over. Let your fans be the diplomats, and so on.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Maybe, but all that just leads to a lack of incentive to write on more general forums. Yes it is better advertising to curate your own Steam Forum/Discord/Subreddit than to come to a more wide reaching place. But forums have never been that good advertising in the first place. The people here are so enfranchised a lot of them are gonna buy the product anyway, and they are so few the numbers do not matter that much. That or they would have never bought the product due to
piracy.png

The current presence of a threat from posting on dex is much more damning.
I heard that MCA left the dex after seeing Blaine GD posting something edgy. Had he commented on that it could have costed him his career even earlier.

It is just harder to justify spending your freetime on a place that might actively harm your career instead of one that just does not advance it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom