Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout: The Frontier - New Vegas mod set in Portland and full of prosperous content

Yosharian

Arcane
Yeah those bounty mods were pretty bad honestly looking back on it. The first one was ok in places though, and it kind of set a standard for quest mods.

Just too bad how the latter ones turned out

Wut? NVB 2 was lightyears ahead of one in every aspect, including the method of obtaining sidequests. And on a side note, for me those jumpscare ambushes are the best thing about Gamebryo talking face pull dialogue mechanic. Not to mention many "happenings" across his mods were conditional on your progress, nicely scripted, or random encounters. It's more Western than Red Deads (which New Vegas was in the first place).

And NVB 3 is an amazing homage to Il Grande Silenzio, despite many limitations.
They just have so many boring fetch quests

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter

Honestly a space battle?

Now I would like that in a Star Wars, a Star Trek, or an original science fiction game that plays a bit more loose with how space warfare goes.
But in Fallout I think a space battle would pretty much go how the thing would go in real life, the party who first manages to get an accurate target lock and fires wins. Submarine warfare but in space.

Also ugh. Why insert this in a Fallout game? A spin off involving vehicle combat with armed cars, trucks, and trains I could understand, but I think I would still try to make it isometric and perhaps turned based.
This feels like the single player portion of a modern warfare shooter.

I had wanted to post this earlier but I decided not to then because I did not constantly want to bring up the past but I preferred the take on going into space as it was planned in Black Isle's Fallout 3. There you spend the second half of the game trying to put the resources together to fix up a pre war rocket, one that might not even take off, and you have to convince your followers to go with you on what could be a one way trip (the player perhaps not being able to find enough resources to make the rocket able to return to the surface)

This casually going into space with two space vertibirds (they could not even use any of the rocket models from FO3/FNV) feels so stupid and inappropriate for the Fallout setting.
Being able to go back into space would be a significant event as the required infrastructure for doing something like that is in ruins.
I could imagine that perhaps if the NCR, the Shi, the BOS, and the Followers of the Apocalypse put their resources together they might be able to pull off launching a satellite or a manned mission, but a bunch of NCR deserters with no industrial support other than what they can salvage?

And what do they find in space? A space station full of Enclave soldiers, because what else?
Other than the question how these Enclave soldiers got into space (they have been here since the great war? they also have space vertibirds?) I am asking why it was so necessary to bring back the Enclave again.
Well I know the answer; because the fandom since Fallout 3 has a boner for the Enclave, the cool "evil power armor faction".

From a technical point of view this might be impressive, that the designers managed to get this out of the FNV Gamebryo engine, but what was the point other than that someone thought that there needed to be more focus on combat and it should include vehicle combat?
Wouldn't reskinning a more dedicated shooter that already has these elements not be better? Even the few RPG elements could probably be programmed into that engine.

I know I am nitpicking now regarding what should be realistic in Fallout and what not but this feels so far from the spirit of the universe, at least pre-Bethesda that I think the designers should honestly have created their own setting.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Van Buren was going to feature a space station as its climax. I assumed that was their precedent for doing it in Frontier.

DeepOcean

Arcane
This is what happens when video games are now considered an "art form." It will no longer be about bing bing wahoo fun times but now have themes and something to say.
This obcession with art this and that comes from NPCs insecure with the opinions of society about people who waste time playing video games, if you are a secure person on what you actually like and have a real personality to dont give a shit to what other people think, you care less about video games being considerated art or not.

About the Enclave, the Enclave is just the next evolution of what the NCR is, NCR is rotting with corruption and internal conflict, that will lead to collapse and the rise of authoritarism to "defend" the democracy and you will have the Enclave in the end anyway. Both are trying to recreate the pre war american state so they are on the same path as the same shit happened with the american goverment pre war. One of the themes on Fallout New Vegas is the humans never learn and repeat the same mistake again and again.

If the modders actually played Fallout 2 and really bothered into learning about the background of the Legion as Ceasar created the Legion as a reaction against that, they would know that but what can you expect from dumb Fallout 3 fanboys? Those clowns probably played more Modern Warfare than any Fallout game, so hearing they tirades about something they dont understand sound to me like a 13 year old yelling Ur mom on the chat because he is butthurt.

eXalted

Arcane
Last edited:

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
Shakespearean writing.

VvTwk1P.png
Uh... Correct me if I am wrong but I don't remember the Enclave being racists. I recalled that they did have nonwhite members in their ranks. Good job keeping your politics in check mod author. Doesn't make you out to be a spaz.

ironmask

Arbiter
Jesus. The mod arthurs are so butthurt about the Enclave. If they hated them so much then why even bring them back? Did they only do it because it's "not fallout if I don't have muh iconic factions in every game!".

Okagron

Prophet
Jesus. The mod arthurs are so butthurt about the Enclave. If they hated them so much then why even bring them back? Did they only do it because it's "not fallout if I don't have muh iconic factions in every game!".
They could have attempted to give them any depth, but nah, that's too hard. Better make them out to be irredeemable assholes.

I'm starting to appreciate the Enclave Remnants in New Vegas more and more.

Pompey

Novice
They could have made their own factions but that's a bit too much work for them, so they used existing factions. It's ok to have one previous faction but the whole point of Fallout is the exploration of conflicts in the post-nuclear world. We already have NCR vs Legion vs BOS.

RangerBoo

Arcane
Not to toot my own horn but if that was me I would have written that dialogue as; "Why should I join you? The Enclave isn't exactly friendly to those not born in the Enclave from what I 've heard."
That is it. That is all you need to write. Sure, it's not the best dialogue but at least it will be lore friendly and not sound like the writer is going off on a political diatribe. Nobody wants to hear what the writer has to say about real world politics in a piece of entertainment.

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It's such a wasted opportunity, not to mention pure midwit hackery, to use a post-apocalyptic setting to talk about currentyear politics. You've got an entire world to explore, heretofore unknown circumstances that can influence the political discourse, and instead "herp derp time to make a stunning and brave statement about fascism!"

Also ugh. Why insert this in a Fallout game? A spin off involving vehicle combat with armed cars, trucks, and trains I could understand, but I think I would still try to make it isometric and perhaps turned based.
This feels like the single player portion of a modern warfare shooter.

And it's in Gamebryo so it looks like shit lmao

RangerBoo

Arcane
Also lol at snowy winter... Portland.
I know! As someone who lives in the Pacific Northwest it is more rainy and mild here then snowy and cold. I mean, it makes sense that California is a dusty and dried up shit hole as it is turning into that in real life. Is there an excuses for the change of climate for the Pacific Northwest in The Frontier?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
You could argue that nuclear bombs dropped every which way might affect the climate. That seems like the least of this mod's problems.

DeepOcean

Arcane
One of the very few right calls they had was the winter wasteland, after getting the tank from the NCR main quest and travelling around with it, found the Nuka Cola Portland headquarters building, well, inside, there wasnt anything in there that was impressive, just some Nuka Cola bottles to sell for the tank shells that are expensive as fuck and some copy pasted Protectrons to shoot.

Got to the top of the building and look around, man, the moody sky and the frozen wasteland, reminded me of the Metro series soviet wasteland. One of the few things they did right was this frozen wasteland, this and you walking around with your vehicle alone are the only two good things on this mod, the rest is so absolute garbage that is baffling. How the people that manage to build this moody wasteland with this atmosphere could fill it to the brim with so much garbage?

Man, a Fallout 4 on Fallout tactics engine on a moody frozen wasteland with vehicles would be major incline, Wasteland 3 is too streamlined and barebones on world building. A Fallout 4 doing some of the things this mod does but made by people who had the IQ on the normal range instead of Down's Syndrome levels... the only reason I kept playing all this time is the wasteland worldspace and I forgot how I miss a real Fallout so much, the rest is pure garbage, the gameplay is really fucked even for Fallout 3 standards and Gamebryo standards.

The problem is that the very few things they did right is on an ocean of unbeliavable garbage, when Fallout 3 was released, people here on the codex mocked that there were generic "raiders" pratically on each inch of the Wasteland, there are more raiders than people on Fallout 3. They, being retarded Fallout 3 fanboys, they took that retarded design that New Vegas fixed and instead of learning from New Vegas, they double down on that retardation and added the modder junk over it, making it even worse. I mean, instead of you facing down human enemies that are on places that make sense, animals that are on places that make sense, you have Wendigos, wolves, irradiated dogs, scavengers, scavenger mutants? (WTF is this shit?), right next to each other, even sharing the same streets, you turn a corner and there are wendigos on a street, turn the next corner and there are scavengers on the other street and they litter the streets just waiting for you to shoot them. I mean, even Bethesda wasnt that bad on Fallout 3 and evolved from that shit a little bit on Fallout 4.

I mean, raiders on New Vegas are on places where it makes sense for raiders to ambush people. Here, scavengers, the Frontier raiders, you would expect to find them on places where are things to scavenge right? No, they are just on the streets, walking in circles right next to wendigos for you to shoot, everywhere, they are scavengers that dont scavenge.

Also, I was wrong, there are vehicles, there are enemy vehicles but, do you think modders care about balance? I pity a melee build here, why? Because there are suicide cars that move to kill you on a single kamikaze explosion and even normal vehicles, when they are destroyed, they explode. No, there isnt a wait time period for the kamikaze vehicle explosion for you to get away, once it reach you, it explode instantly. Maybe, when you get better weapons this isnt a problem but on the begining, you only have the tank or those single use anti tank weapons but maybe when I find a decent missile laucher, things get better but it is retarded to just spread enemies this way with no tought or coherency. I'm just exploding them with the tank but they are bullet sponges to any weapon that arent explosives, all of them even when it doesnt make sense and there isnt actually a driver for you to shoot even when the fucking driver is visible.

Sure, you might have a save with a missile launcher and decent explosive weapon from New Vegas but do you only have a power fist because you are a melee build? Yeah, fuck you. I feel sad for them, I mean, wasting 5 years of your free time doing a mod that is basically the equivalent of those Nexus mods of "What if Darth Vader and Master Chief fought each other?".

RangerBoo

Arcane
Please keep posting more images/videos/quotes from this thing.
Your wish is my command.

How big was this fucking nuke? Did they see the nuke explosion in Arizona from Portland?
Also, my favorite dialogue from this scene; "Your going to tell me everything you know, or I'm going to destroy who you once were."
Whoa, that is like deep. Can feel the cringe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom