Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Gothic is fun

Smerlus

Educated
Which Piranha Bytes game do I start with? Mods and such?

The more recent games control better and have generally less jank to them but the earlier ones are deeper with better variety.

Pick which one suits you better.

Last edited:

kreight

Monkeys here love these games so much theres not even a discussion dedicated to Risen.

Doktor Best

Arcane
You guys can grab your pitchforks or whatever you guys grab around here but I've only finished the atrocity that is Arcania Gothic 4 despite beating Risen 1-3 and Elex.

Gothic 1 I was really into and got probably 75-80% done with and my HDD took a shit. Tried to start over but didn't have it in me.

Bought Gothic 2 when I had an outdated shitty computer, never got it to run right.

about 50% into Gothic 3 and the game would crash pretty much at a specific area around a main quest I had to do. Never found a way to fix it.

I can probably get them all to run now but just never went back to them.

But I'll agree that the games are fun. There's a moment in PB games where you go from getting stomped by warthogs to making a build, getting equipment and experience with the gameplay just click together and you start fucking up everything in your path.

Plus always liked the quest design and the way classes are picked.

How about you install Gothic and beat it once and for all?

What if you get hit by a bus tomorrow and you are at the gates of heaven and Petrus asks you if you have played and beaten Gothic 1 and 2?

What do you say then?

See? Just go. Play it.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Praise ADANOS, another gothic player!!!

viPww0j.png

PlayerKit and SystemPack.

After you finish G1/G2 vanilla, play G3 with the AB and fixes. Then try mods like returning. https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...me-experience-for-gothic-2-notr.125937/page-2

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Gothic 1?

Man, I still have such fond memories of that.

The humor is almost one of a kind. Especially if you stick to the German version. The endless profanities, the NPC in the background constantly saying "Der letzte Scheiß .."

Apart from that it was a bit of a technical masterpiece and introduced some new ideas to gaming too. For example the live concert was afaik a complete novelty in a 3d game. It was such a nice surprise when it happened.

Murk

Arcane
Which Piranha Bytes game do I start with? Mods and such?

If UI/Controls are potential issues for you -- Play Risen 1 and Elex.

If UI/Controls are not an issue, play Gothic 1 and Gothic 2+Night of the Raven (aka gold edition).

Gothic 3 is a different beast altogether, but has its merits (I enjoy it a lot).

For mods -- first time? None, though to get the games (g1 and g2) to run on modern systems you'll have to install some fixes that will give you wide screen/resolution support. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend any for a first time playthrough of any of the games.

Tigranes

Arcane
Controls issues are overrated. It feels like wearing condoms on your ass the first couple hours, and then you get used to the ass condoms and learn to enjoy the actual activity.

That might not be as persuasive as I first thought.

Murk

Arcane
Gothic 2's controls are fine and close enough to modern that it's not an issue. G1 can be so jarring I think that it causes people enough frustration that they outright quit.

Apparently "you can play the whole game using only 1 hand" is not as big a selling point when the denizens of the game are all murderous criminal scum.

You should bear through it though; the game is wonderful, and the consistency of the world is something else.

I mean, there's even references to Nordmar and how only there do they know how to properly smelt pure ore -- to show just how thought out the setting was.

curds

Magister
Gothic 1's controls are literally fine unless you have a case of the spergs and can't deal with anything that you aren't immediately used to.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Thanks for the spirited discussion, gents.

For those of you who are interested, I am playing the GOG version with patches / mods applied based on this guide, created by esteemed forum member Konjad. There are a few minor issues but overall I'm quite pleased with how the game looks and functions. There is also a similar guide for Gothic 2.

I would encourage anyone who -- like yours truly -- is new to the Gothic franchise to start with Gothic 1. Don't let the controversy over the controls scare you off. They are difficult in the beginning, but eventually you will get acclimated. You can play with KB + Mouse or just the keyboard. Either way, the trick is to remember that in order to take an action besides just moving around, you have to hold the Action button down and then press the proper directional key.

If you need help getting started, here's a cheat sheet of the KB + Mouse approach I use.

Action button -- LMB
Jump -- RMB

Move forward -- W
Move backward -- S
Strafe left -- A
Strafe right -- D

Draw weapon -- Space bar
Melee attack forward -- LMB + W
Melee attack side -- LMB + A
Melee attack other side -- LMB + D
Melee block -- LMB + S

Cast spell -- LMB + W (hold) (make sure spell is equipped first)
Open chest -- look at chest, hold down LMB to kneel in front of it, then press W
Talk -- LMB + W
Pick up item -- LMB + W

Inventory -- I
Scroll inventory left and right -- A and D
Move item x 1 -- LMB + Q, LMB + E
Move item x 10 -- LMB + A, LMB + D
Equip item -- LMB + W
Drop item -- LMB + S
Not claiming this is the definitive approach mind you, but it's worked well for me so far.

Last edited:

Smerlus

Educated
How about you install Gothic and beat it once and for all?

What if you get hit by a bus tomorrow and you are at the gates of heaven and Petrus asks you if you have played and beaten Gothic 1 and 2?

What do you say then?

See? Just go. Play it.

Still got your pitchforks?

I'll just wait for the Gothic remake

:troll:

The controls in the first game are fine once you get used to it. I'm doing my yearly replay of G1/G2 and you can easily play it with just the left hand on the keyboard. No need to even use the mouse (the mouse has some weird acceleration anyway, so it's not very reliable). And yes, using G1 control for G2 is the way to go.
While G2 is generally the more polished one, G1 keeps surprising me every time I replay it. For instance, I was on my way to the new camp. I walk past Cavalorn but take the wrong turn and stand face to face with a snapper. I don't know If you remember these guys but their AI is slightly different in that they slowly go after you the moment they notice you. So I head back to Cavalorn's hut thinking he will kill it for me. Something like that would work in G2 but in G1 the moment Cavalorn notices the snapper he just runs away like a little bitch. He ran all the way to the bridge near the old camp and after a while he returned to his hut. So the NPCs in G1 aren't as suicidal like in G2. Lesson learned.

Murk

Arcane
You should; I'm replaying them (out of order) now. Did Elex, G3, onto G1, then G2, then likely Risen 1.

curds

Magister
You should; I'm replaying them (out of order) now. Did Elex, G3, onto G1, then G2, then likely Risen 1.
I think I will replay them when I'm done with my current batch of games.

I also still need to play the other PB games. I love G1 and G2, but have only played a few hours of G3 (I actually quite liked it, but it didn't run well on my old laptop). Same goes for Risen 1.

Risen 2, 3 and ELEX I haven't touched at all yet.

Maybe it's time for a Piranha Bytes marathon.

Zanzoken

Arcane
I'm stuck on the fight against Jackal and the two other guards in front of the Free Mine. I can kill each of them in two hits but I can only tank three or four hits myself, and with how melee works in this game it's very difficult to block or dodge attacks from three opponents at once.

I can cheese it by immediately turning around and running away because the AI is too dumb to follow the winding path around the mine. But I really don't like having to do that.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Lol and now as soon as I enter the mine I've got 4 dudes pelting me with crossbows that fire like 1 bolt per second and kill me in 3 hits.

Up until now the game has been difficult, but fair. This level is some serious bullshit though.

Mikeal

Arcane
Lol and now as soon as I enter the mine I've got 4 dudes pelting me with crossbows that fire like 1 bolt per second and kill me in 3 hits.

Up until now the game has been difficult, but fair. This level is some serious bullshit though.

Remember Gorn is love, Gorn is life.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom