Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What do you value the most in games?

Curratum

1. Immersion through a combination of art direction, sound design and worldbuilding
2. Immersion through as little on-screen hud elements as possible
3. Tight controls

madhouse

1. Immersion through a combination of art direction, sound design and worldbuilding
2. Immersion through as little on-screen hud elements as possible
Kind of the same point really: not having a HUD stuck on your screen is part of the art direction. I liked that a lot about Metro 2033. I think it's especially relevant to FPS, and any first-person anything.
What games would you say have really good controls?

fun. if i'm not having fun, i'd rather jerk off. so the game has either to engross me with mechanics or numbers*. lacking both, it's probably a movie or a phone skinner box.
*: rare instance, with comedy. but last two times i laughed it's been with "ben there, dan that" and previously "anachronox".

kangaxx

Arbiter
Sneaking around, looting and levelling up in all kinds of different proportions. Exploring/adventuring/solving puzzles.

Also uncovering conspiracies or being deceived by the writers, as long as it's done well.

Ivan

Arcane
heart
Yakuza-Kiwami-2-Kiryu-Heart-1280x720.jpg

ultraviolence
200w.webp

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Flow state, immersion and catharsis.

Being absorbed and engaged with the game's systems (to the point of getting pencil and paper out :) ), feeling a strong sense of "being there" in the virtual world depicted in the game (and that includes everything from great art design and graphics, audio, fx, to engaging story and C&C), and the thrill of beating challenges and bashing heads, to the gratification of the bloodthirsty, atavistic beast inside.

When I get those three from a game, it's sublime, it's a new art form in the world.

It doesn't happen all that often, but when it does it's worth having plowed through the midden to find it.

madhouse

Having heart is of paramount importance. One might have a mind, a strong intelligence, but without guts, a strong heart, one will never become anybody. You are incredibly wise.

madhouse

When earth is sundered, and skies choked black,
And sleepers serve the seven curses,
To the hearth there comes a stranger,
Journeyed far 'neah moon and star.

Though stark-born to sire uncertain,
His aspect marks his certain fate.
Wicked stalk him, righteous curse him.
Prophets speak, but all deny.

Many trials make manifest
The stranger's fate, the curses' bane.
Many touchstones try the stranger.
Many fall, but one remains.

Name a better prophecy in a video game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ocelot

Learned
The worldbuilding, especially if said game is an RPG. A world that is sublime and feels like it doesn't exist solely for the game to take place in is very rewarding by itself.

KK1001

Arbiter
In rough order:
1. Cohesive vision. The more it feels like one person or a small, tight-knit group made something because they are passionate about it the better. The more a game conveys a sense of purpose, the better. The more a game feels tailor-made for a specific audience - whether that's me or not - the better.
2. Proper challenge curve. Game should increase in difficulty to account for synaptic adjustment and the learning of the player, so that a persistent - but slightly increasing - level of challenge is maintained.
3. Respect for my experience and my time. Any game that treats me like a retard or a child explicitly is going to have a bad time.
4. Sense of completeness. I don't want a bunch of extraneous bad bullshit, and I don't want to see or feel the holes. Games should be like a good script or puzzle.
5. Experimentation, evolution, change, but for the sake of the vision, not their own.
6. Confidence in said vision. You should be taking your reason WHY you made this game and pushing it forward as far as you can, even at the risk of breaking everything.
7. Making me feel ANYTHING other than just "hurrr fun" dopamine squirt shit.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
ki1jgz.gif

General: Conan, what is best in RPGs?
Conan: To crush your enemies, explore their dungeons, and to see the glitter of their treasure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom