Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake from Saber Interactive

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
It might not even be a KotOR 3, but merely a KotOR remake, which would likely mean Revan story + better graphics + dumbed down mechanics + stronk independent wahmin.

Deleted member 7219

KOTOR doesn't need a remake, go straight to KOTOR3 or better KOTHR (high république).
KOTOR3 already exists, it's called SWTOR.
Hell, the Revan xpac was based on material written by Avellone.

Where did you get this info from? Genuinely interested. I didn't know Avellone had sketched things out past KOTOR 2. Where they went with the Emperor killing the Exile and imprisoning Revan came out the mind of Drew Karpyshyn with no involvement from Avellone. And I don't know who wrote the Revan expansion but didn't know it drew anything from Avellone.

Codex Year of the Donut
KOTOR doesn't need a remake, go straight to KOTOR3 or better KOTHR (high république).
KOTOR3 already exists, it's called SWTOR.
Hell, the Revan xpac was based on material written by Avellone.

Where did you get this info from? Genuinely interested. I didn't know Avellone had sketched things out past KOTOR 2. Where they went with the Emperor killing the Exile and imprisoning Revan came out the mind of Drew Karpyshyn with no involvement from Avellone. And I don't know who wrote the Revan expansion but didn't know it drew anything from Avellone.
too lazy to find it, but it lines up almost perfectly with what avellone said was a pitch for kotor3

SoupNazi

If only TOR wasn't drowning in MMO bullshit.
I hate MMOs, their entire concept, the people in them and everything about it, but even I have to admit I kind of enjoy SWTOR because it basically plays like a singleplayer game - you just occasionally have to ignore some retard running past your screen with a gigantic nametag, and disable chat. The story quests are very basic and gameplay is meh, but the story itself is nice, sometimes even funny, sometimes dramatic, and of a higher than average writing. The VA is excellent.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I hate MMOs, their entire concept, the people in them and everything about it, but even I have to admit I kind of enjoy SWTOR because it basically plays like a singleplayer game - you just occasionally have to ignore some retard running past your screen with a gigantic nametag, and disable chat. The story quests are very basic and gameplay is meh, but the story itself is nice, sometimes even funny, sometimes dramatic, and of a higher than average writing. The VA is excellent.

I played the entire Imperial Agent campaign and it was absolutely as mired in MMO busywork and nonsense as WoW is, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

SoupNazi

I played the entire Imperial Agent campaign and it was absolutely as mired in MMO busywork and nonsense as WoW is, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.
When did you play it? As I understand, the singleplayer focus (where you can be the right level and don't have to "farm" xp or mobs) is a relatively recent development.

Just might be worth looking into it or giving it a try, especially since it's free - not because I want to convince anyone to like the same game I do, but if you want to play through a decent SW story, and you played everything else, it's good.

Deleted member 7219

Any chance the Ubisoft game is a kotor rpg? Or one based on their new print initiative, the high republic.

Given that the KOTOR timeline is already living on in The Old Republic, a single player Knights of the High Republic would be a safer bet.

SoupNazi

Any chance the Ubisoft game is a kotor rpg? Or one based on their new print initiative, the high republic.
It will not be an RPG. It will be a The Division clone except in Star Wars. The studio responsible for it is responsible for The Division, they're using the same engine, it's a cash cow... don't get your hopes up.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
When did you play it? As I understand, the singleplayer focus (where you can be the right level and don't have to "farm" xp or mobs) is a relatively recent development.

I played it at launch. If they've reduced the XP requirements so you can play the stories faster that's cool, but that's only one aspect really. There's other things like how slow you move across the game world. But maybe I'll try it again someday.

SoupNazi

I played it at launch. If they've reduced the XP requirements so you can play the stories faster that's cool, but that's only one aspect really. There's other things like how slow you move across the game world. But maybe I'll try it again someday.
You can basically run the stories and do nothing else quite easily without any time-consuming mob fights. And moving across the world is mitigated by several fast travel options + a basically free mount from level 10. Give it a try when you feel like it.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wouldn't this be amazing. A remake where they just make the original game graphically better, and then employ MCA to finish the second one as he wanted.

I think I remember him saying something about being not ever wanting to rush a game again, even if somebody held him upside down and burned the soles of his feet with red-hot metal.

That would almost be the kind of thing that happens in this really positive world...that we live in.

Also: didn't MCA do an interview where he said the exile would go and look for Revan? Something about HK-47 getting shot up and being strapped to another character like a backpack - as C-3PO was in The Empire Strikes Back?.

Readher

Savant
Also: didn't MCA do an interview where he said the exile would go and look for Revan?
That was already obvious from the KOTOR2 ending. Even Bioware continued with that idea with SWTOR (or rather, with Karpyshyn's SWTOR Revan book).

eli

Learned
https://thedirect.com/gaming/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-new-video-game-studio

Star Wars Reportedly Working on New Knights of the Old Republic Video Game

kotorgame.jpg

The Star Wars gaming franchise entered a brand-new phase last week, with the announcement that Lucasfilm Games were set to become the “official identity” for all gaming titles under the Lucasfilm banner.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order also received a number of next-generation updates, as well as the clarification of EA's continuation to create Star Wars based games in the future. Additionally, Ubisoft shocked the gaming world, announcing that development had started with Lucasfilm Games on a brand new open-world Star Wars title.

Another Lucasfilm franchise then entered the limelight, following the reveal of a brand new Indiana Jones game, set to be developed by Bethesda.

Evidence has recently suggested that a sequel to Star Wars Battlefront 2 may be in the works. However, more information has become available regarding the next potential Star Wars game.

RETURNING TO AN OLD CLASSIC
In a recent episode of Bob The Podcast, Bespin Bulletin has revealed that a new Knights of the Old Republic title is under development by an unknown developer.

Throughout the episode, the host speculates that it will not be a remake of the original two games, and instead will be its own “definitive story.”

There is a Knights of the Old Republic project in development somewhere, I talked to a couple of people, and I also found out that Jason Schreier, he said that it's not with EA. We will never guess who the studio is. It's happening somewhere, it's happening.

Later on in the podcast, the hosts reveal one of the studios rumored to be developing the game, following Ubisoft's announcement that they were working on a brand new open-world Star Wars title.

The other company I heard who were in talks was Activision, who has had a lot of experience with remakes recently, the Crash and Spyro trilogies, as well as Tony Hawk. Maybe these guys can handle it.

RPG OR ACTION ADVENTURE GAME
While this news will, of course, bring excitement to both gamers and Star Wars fans from around the world, it would be wise to take the rumor with a pinch of salt.

With nothing currently confirmed, details surrounding the game are limited. Therefore more clarification on the game will be hard to come by.

It’s worth mentioning however that Bespin Bulletin has been extremely reliable with Star Wars news in the past, with a number of reports from the reporter later confirmed. The name-drop of Jason Schreier is also key, a consistent provider for gaming news.

The information surrounding the plot is also certain to cause controversy, with the game reportedly set to take a number of decisions away from the players. A key element present within the original Knights of the Old Republic games was the aspect of choices, allowing players to decide numerous things, including the sex of the main character. In recent showcases of the classic games, the main character has always been shown as a male, potentially as this story is assumed as 'canon'.

Given the success of Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, it's likely that the unnamed developer may choose to nominate a single main antagonist, focusing the story towards a narrow path, and removing the RPG aspect from the title. With a number of new Star Wars series and movies set to release over the coming years, it will be interesting to see how the development of the game comes along, with fans waiting eagerly for an official announcement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you ever play any MMO before the release of WoW?

I hate modern MMOs for the same reasons you do. But Star Wars Galaxies was the polar oposite of ToR. A Sandbox world that you explored with friends, with a player driven economy, player driven cities, and so on. The onus was on players to make an interesting world. Back in the day, an MMO was a world you could affect and lose yourself in. Not a list of chores to get "best in slot".

SoupNazi

Did you ever play any MMO before the release of WoW?

I hate modern MMOs for the same reasons you do. But Star Wars Galaxies was the polar oposite of ToR. A Sandbox world that you explored with friends, with a player driven economy, player driven cities, and so on. The onus was on players to make an interesting world. Back in the day, an MMO was a world you could affect and lose yourself in. Not a list of chores to get "best in slot".
Yeah, I actually played SW:Galaxies before the Update That Ruined All Things, though only for a few months because I had no friends who could afford it. I enjoyed it. I also enjoyed Ragnarok:Online, the original one. I gave Asheron's Call, Lineage, Guilds Wars, Tabula Rasa, WoW, a proper try and probably a few others that I forget because it didn't last more than an hour.

In general, with the more player-driven MMOs my problem always was that none of my friends could afford it, and people online generally suck.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
my problem always was that none of my friends could afford it

My problem is I have no friends. :negative:
Well, you're an Old Man, Paco. Surely there are some guys at the retirement home who are nerds and would play MMOs with you? A lot of them are free to play nowadays.

Don't pander to me.

And someone who takes their name from a 30 year old TV show should not be casting age stones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom