Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civilization VI - Now available, so you can sink all your free time into it

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ok everyone just pre-order "Humankind" (17% off on steam atm) and forget about Civilisation. The series is dead, bury it.

Humankind seems just as infested with woke garbage. The writing is hilariously atrocious.

But it's not American or Japanese so at least the visual style is not aimed at 12 year olds I guess.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
more often than not the AI isn't even capable of taking a city
taking a city? it'll declare war on you, even if it's on the other side of the world, will not move a single unit toward you and some turns later will beg for a cease fire juse because it's been hardcoded to follow a timer.
at least in 4 as soon as you were declared war on, you knew there was a doomstack just entering your borders somewhere.

Let's not forget the amazing "agenda" system.
Norway: It's turn 10 and you haven't built any ships! Fuck you loser! -10000 relations!

passerby

Arcane
Ok everyone just pre-order "Humankind" (17% off on steam atm) and forget about Civilisation. The series is dead, bury it.

Amplitude games are just slightly different kind of shit than nuCIV, maybe slightly less stinky, slightly more solid composition, but still shit.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've been waiting to see if Humankind is actually any good, etc. when it releases. It came out of nowhere to me and just started dominating advertising everywhere for me. Ironically, I tend to see this as a bad sign and avoid buying things that do that since I figure if it was any good, they wouldn't need to push it so hard.

passerby

Arcane
It's a wrong approach, I've used to avoid some good products, not only games, just because they had huge marketing backing them and with time lerned to just ignore marketing completely, both extensive one and a lack of it.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No, Civ6 is a shit game because it continues the dumbed down gameplay from 5, is pushing obvious Sjw agendas via the portrayal of leaders, tech quotes and great people, has made no improvements on the AI whatsoever (People tested it, more often than not the AI isn't even capable of taking a city) and is steeped in a disgusting twee comic visual style.

So this is what a critical failure on [Detect Sarcasm] looks like...

Humankind seems just as infested with woke garbage. The writing is hilariously atrocious.

But it's not American or Japanese so at least the visual style is not aimed at 12 year olds I guess.

Yeah word on the offical PEOPLEKIND thread is it's extremely infested with SJWery. If the visual style is anything like the Endless games that would be good at least. And the music.

L'ennui

Magister
humankind (n.)
"the human species," 1640s, from human + kind (n.). Originally two words. Middle English had humaigne lynage "humankind" (mid-15c.).

Ah yes, obviously some SJW invention to manipulate the masses and deprive us of the PROPER, FEDORA-APPROVED Word, Mankind.

I saw the trailer, and if your main argument is that you recoiled in shock because a brown person was shown onscreen, well that tells me I really don't need to bother with whatever else you have to say.

I've been waiting to see if Humankind is actually any good, etc. when it releases. It came out of nowhere to me and just started dominating advertising everywhere for me. Ironically, I tend to see this as a bad sign and avoid buying things that do that since I figure if it was any good, they wouldn't need to push it so hard.
i tried the demo. you'd better focus on something else.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
i tried the demo. you'd better focus on something else.
Then again, let's be honest, you always seem to hate everything as a life creed.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
The title doesn't give it away?

I don't go out of my way to defend Amplitude, who are surely SJ-adjacent, but in this case the name might be Humankind instead of Mankind because Mankind came out in 1998 (MMORTS). Apparently, the servers for the latter were still being maintained until 2015...

Maxie

Yes. Civ 6 is a shit game because it has niggers in it, unlike the previous 5 that totally didn't whatsoever

Go home, adults are talking.

No, Civ6 is a shit game because it continues the dumbed down gameplay from 5, is pushing obvious Sjw agendas via the portrayal of leaders, tech quotes and great people, has made no improvements on the AI whatsoever (People tested it, more often than not the AI isn't even capable of taking a city) and is steeped in a disgusting twee comic visual style.
Typical. Lots and lots to say about some perceived SJW agenda (whatever that means), vague shit about the game proper
What does dumbed down gameplay mean?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Yes. Civ 6 is a shit game because it has niggers in it, unlike the previous 5 that totally didn't whatsoever

Typical. Lots and lots to say about some perceived SJW agenda (whatever that means), vague shit about the game proper

You'd know if your candy ass had ever played Civ4.

I mean, apart from the features that now slowly trickle back in via DLC, like corporations? Government forms that aren't just additional "click button, get buff" - Which is by the way the entirety of mechanics in Civ6 -, an AI that actually knows how to fight as I've already mentioned, even if doomstacks weren't exactly elegant, a sensible tech tree, leaders that had an actual predictable behavior instead of being psychopaths with binary friend/foe programming, the way settlers work means there will always be empty spots of land on the map (unless you're the AI and can settle wherever due to difficulty cheats), no way to influence Gold and science spending, a mostly useless UI, an endless amount of policy cards of which most are either must picks or useless, same with religion on higher difficulties, same with unit promotions.

I could go on but I'm sure you'll have some pseudo-snarky comeback already written up.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
humankind (n.)
"the human species," 1640s, from human + kind (n.). Originally two words. Middle English had humaigne lynage "humankind" (mid-15c.).

Ah yes, obviously some SJW invention to manipulate the masses and deprive us of the PROPER, FEDORA-APPROVED Word, Mankind.

I saw the trailer, and if your main argument is that you recoiled in shock because a brown person was shown onscreen, well that tells me I really don't need to bother with whatever else you have to say.

The Lucy trailer is atrocious not JUST because of the blue haired nigger you know.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
humankind (n.)

The Lucy trailer is atrocious not JUST because of the blue haired nigger you know.

I think you might be seriously arguing with an SJW here.

Maxie

I mean, apart from the features that now slowly trickle back in via DLC, like corporations? Government forms that aren't just additional "click button, get buff" - Which is by the way the entirety of mechanics in Civ6 -, an AI that actually knows how to fight as I've already mentioned, even if doomstacks weren't exactly elegant, a sensible tech tree, leaders that had an actual predictable behavior instead of being psychopaths with binary friend/foe programming, the way settlers work means there will always be empty spots of land on the map (unless you're the AI and can settle wherever due to difficulty cheats), no way to influence Gold and science spending, a mostly useless UI, an endless amount of policy cards of which most are either must picks or useless, same with religion on higher difficulties, same with unit promotions.

I could go on but I'm sure you'll have some pseudo-snarky comeback already written up.
I'm first to admit that base game is rather barebones (though unlike base civ5 it had religion and spycraft and tourism out of the box), but New Frontier games modes are hardly features, they're a layer of gimmicks like the previously released hero mode

I've no inkling so as to what gov you have in mind as alternative to civ6, though arguably buff based approach and policy juggling allows for rather risky building which would otherwise be unfeasible with civ6s baby numbers on near every yield

The only unpredictable thing about leaders is a single hidden agenda picked randomly, other quirks they always hold, although it's seldom possible to satisfy their agenda creep in early game (makes for more isolationist plays)

I've no clue what do you mean by the settlers argument you must explain further

Science is a passive yield not unlike culture which both serve to generate tree progression I've no clue how would you affect it any further past increasing the amount or decreasing the enemy's, the gold argument doesn't hold water at all

UI is imo good enough if not a little cluttered

Other complaints are meta balancing ones which call for the sawyer button

Cael

Arcane

I'm first to admit that base game is rather barebones (though unlike base civ5 it had religion and spycraft and tourism out of the box), but New Frontier games modes are hardly features, they're a layer of gimmicks like the previously released hero mode

I've no inkling so as to what gov you have in mind as alternative to civ6, though arguably buff based approach and policy juggling allows for rather risky building which would otherwise be unfeasible with civ6s baby numbers on near every yield

The only unpredictable thing about leaders is a single hidden agenda picked randomly, other quirks they always hold, although it's seldom possible to satisfy their agenda creep in early game (makes for more isolationist plays)

I've no clue what do you mean by the settlers argument you must explain further

Science is a passive yield not unlike culture which both serve to generate tree progression I've no clue how would you affect it any further past increasing the amount or decreasing the enemy's, the gold argument doesn't hold water at all

UI is imo good enough if not a little cluttered

Other complaints are meta balancing ones which call for the sawyer button
Translation: DLCs will fix it!

GrainWetski

Arcane
humankind (n.)

That's huwomankind to you, bigot.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm first to admit that base game is rather barebones (though unlike base civ5 it had religion and spycraft and tourism out of the box)
Civ 5 with all expansions was better than Civ 6 at release. In fact Civ 5 with all expansions is still better than Civ 6. Have you even played any civ game other than 6? And why are you even bringing up base Civ5? When did it become fashionable to ignore the existence of expansions and pretend a sequel is not missing their features? Why would you not compare games as they stand at the same point in time? I see the same shit with Paradox games and it makes my blood boil.

As for your other answers, it is like watching someone trying to explain color to a blind man. You do not understand what you've never seen, you make no effort to understand what you're being told, and you will never understand until you actually play Civ4.

Amen, and awomen.

Maxie

I'm first to admit that base game is rather barebones (though unlike base civ5 it had religion and spycraft and tourism out of the box)
Civ 5 with all expansions was better than Civ 6 at release. In fact Civ 5 with all expansions is still better than Civ 6. Have you even played any civ game other than 6? And why are you even bringing up base Civ5? When did it become fashionable to ignore the existence of expansions and pretend a sequel is not missing their features? Why would you not compare games as they stand at the same point in time? I see the same shit with Paradox games and it makes my blood boil.

As for your other answers, it is like watching someone trying to explain color to a blind man. You do not understand what you've never seen, you make no effort to understand what you're being told, and you will never understand until you actually play Civ4.

Amen, and awomen.
Conversely you can set together Civ5 with both expansions and Civ6 with both expansions - the latter is a richer game tbh

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom