Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Cyberpunk 2077

Darkforge

Augur
This review was nearly as shit as the game....

Tihskael

Learned
The students and the master.

ES2XumPXgAAMG3p.jpg

Polish food makes you grow tall.
Nah, Todd is just clipping through the floor. He is 6'3".

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I like reviews that over explain the game mechanics and don't focus on story and setting.

dis

As someone who has more or less absolutely no idea what this game is about and how it plays, the revio was very informative and made it very clear to me that this game is shit. I strongly disliked Twitchers 2 and 3 and never finished them precisely for their bad gameplay, despite finding positives in the story/presentation, so it's much more relevant to my interests for someone to dissect the mechanics here rather than vomit out another disco elysium revio.

JDR13

Arcane
As someone who has more or less absolutely no idea what this game is about and how it plays, the revio was very informative and made it very clear to me that this game is shit. I strongly disliked Twitchers 2 and 3 and never finished them precisely for their bad gameplay, despite finding positives in the story/presentation, so it's much more relevant to my interests for someone to dissect the mechanics here rather than vomit out another disco elysium revio.

Without playing it, you have no idea if the game is shit. All you read was his opinion tbh.

CP 2077 has its high points and its low points. The review barely mentions any positives though which is disingenuous because the positives are there. Whether or not they outweigh the negatives is completely subjective.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Forgive me my ignorance but how is it connected to CDPR? Wasn't this game made by a german studio? Or you meant that CDPR better be back to just publishing other's decent games?
cdpr started by publishing western games onto polish ground. You can link potato infestation on this site to many rpgs that were released this way. They were also doing cheap good games thing, nice titles that did cost 2 kebabs at a time. Gorasul was among them. As such one can wonder why its not part of GOG

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
It’s anyone’s guess how long Cyberpunk 2077 was in development. Based on Marcin Iwiński’s remarks about a “mysterious team working on a brand new AAA game,” it would be about 9 years.

First line of this review is already retarded. It's gonna be a great read

Gargaune

Magister
Pretty balanced review there, lukaszek. A couple of observations:

Gorilla arms do not help in opening doors

Gorilla Arms do help in opening doors. You either have the requisite BODY attribute or you can use the Gorilla Arms if you installed them.

To make it worse, the game tries to cheat traffic. There will be phantom cars within a distance of one block away that will disappear as you approach closer. At the same time, actual cars will appear out of nowhere. I found it the easiest to drive on the opposite side of the road as there was minimal chance of a car spawning there. Meanwhile vehicles will constantly appear out of nowhere from side roads, ramming into you. Fake cars are not turned off even in the Mad Max-esque wasteland outside of the city. You will see heavy traffic ahead of you, which dissappears as you get close, and it’s quite bizarre.

The faroff traffic isn't actual traffic, it's just distant LOD beset by terrible irony - as you come closer, it's swapped out with actual... nothing. I didn't notice cars spawning in around me, though, maybe that's a performance thing.

You’ll own a few vehicles without spending money, which is useful, as at times you’ll be calling them all, hoping that at least one will spawn in a reachable place. Sometimes the vehicles you call will also drive past you into the unknown.

Or they'll drive into you.

To make driving worse, the minimap with a gps doesn’t zoom out as you gain speed. You’ll learn that you’re supposed to turn just as you’re driving past the turn that you’re supposed to take.

Thank you! Between the lack of cruise control, the navigation being on the corner minimap and the limited map overview, you'll be turning around more than James May in a medieval italian city.

As usual, the UI in this game makes you lose sanity. You’ll be collecting shards (lore pieces) that are scattered through the world like trash. From time to time you’ll be asked to read one of them.

Hoo boy! That's one trick I learned early - don't pick them up! If you see a readable with the Take and Read options, you first hit F5 to quicksave, and then you hit Read. You don't actually have to read the thing, typically, just trigger the flag for quest purposes.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
That's a pretty fair review.

After a few weeks of not playing it, my opinion hasn't changed. It's a 6-7/10 game right now, but it could be an 8-9/10 game a year or two down the line if they get their fingers out of their asses and finish/polish the bloody thing. It's a flawed game in multiple respects, but it has its moments here and there (especially in the story presentation, but also in terms of fairly addictive open world combat, even despite the flaws) and you can have some fun with it.

(And of course nothing beats cruising the rain-soaked streets of Night City on your Kusanagi listening to Miles Davis - NOTHING. It's a peak videogame experience.)

But whether they will finish it or not is anyone's guess.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
Without playing it, you have no idea if the game is shit. All you read was his opinion tbh.

CP 2077 has its high points and its low points. The review barely mentions any positives though which is disingenuous because the positives are there. Whether or not they outweigh the negatives is completely subjective.
I vaguely remember you deflecting and diffusing any criticism of CDPR games in a CP2077 pre-release thread. That was a year or more ago but I see not much has changed. You're either brainwashed or a mole, possibly both.

Gargaune

Magister
No, Gorilla arms absolutely DO NOT let you bypass Body requirements on opening doors.
Are you sure? Okay, it's possible I got that wrong, wasn't paying that much attention. All I recall is that in Riders of the Storm I'd just installed Gorilla Arms and was suddenly able to pry open doors. So how does it work then?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
No, Gorilla arms absolutely DO NOT let you bypass Body requirements on opening doors.
Are you sure? Okay, it's possible I got that wrong, wasn't paying that much attention. All I recall is that in Riders of the Storm I'd just installed Gorilla Arms and was suddenly able to pry open doors. So how does it work then?
there are some doors with atr req = 3 quite late in story.
I recall rolling my eyes at 3 tech door opening that impressed pam...

Gargaune

Magister
there are some doors with atr req = 3 quite late in story.
I recall rolling my eyes at 3 tech door opening that impressed pam...
Ah, the old pickle jar trope. But I don't know what to tell you, I'd never been able to force open a door before, and after installing the arms aug I was doing it left and right. Maybe it was after I upgraded my stats and I just forgot, I neglected my attribute points for a long time.

But the question then remains - what do they do? Other than let you clock civilians in a game that has guns?

Gargaune

Magister
just replace your regular fleshy fists in unarmed combat. Afaik all the cyberweapons were stripped of extra stuff
Ah, well, that's underwhelming. Though I suppose that's not a surprise by now.

Enkidu

Novice
Ah, well, that's underwhelming. Though I suppose that's not a surprise by now.
I Suppose you can put mods in the Gorilla Arms to change your type of damage, but that doesn't really matter in this game, so...

JDR13

Arcane

I vaguely remember you deflecting and diffusing any criticism of CDPR games in a CP2077 pre-release thread. That was a year or more ago but I see not much has changed. You're either brainwashed or a mole, possibly both.

That's hilarious considering what you just quoted was hardly glowing praise for the game. Like I said, it has high points and low points.

Try harder, Mr Edgelord.

Yaz

Learned
Ok... so a friend lend me his account and I played through the game...

Got about 40 good hours out of it. Yes, despite those hours being good I don't think it's quite enough to justify paying full price. I also don't have any desire to come back. With the risk of sounding ignorant - I struggle to imagine how people can put more than 100 hours into this game.

I don't see how the open world benefits the game. That's a ton of resources poured into making what is actually a very good representation of a city with it's surrounding areas. NC is really good. But considering the vast majority of people, myself included, would just use fast travel and go through a loading screen, the open world doesn't really offer any advantage to a hub/instance-based world.

There's a mind-boggling amount of extra gigs and side stuff/grind and it's all voiced and coded. But the really good parts of the game are all linear. Take for example the Voodoo Boys and the Pacifica Mall situation. Why not reduce the extra, repetitive, boring but numerous side stuff and pour all that into making a truly good main quest? For example, when you first meet Placide you go outside and see someone openly shooting an NCPD vehicle away. Such moments are incredibly impactful. Speaking of Placide - he's quite a good side character and the whole quest really has a lot of potential for multiple solutions - if you're a techie you could crack the Netwatch code, negotiate with the agent, have and aggressive/peaceful/neutral resolution with the Voodoo Boys, ect. That sort of stuff.

I like my shooters, but Cyberpunk isn't a good shooter game. The most fun I had with the gameplay(max difficulty, btw) was shooting my own grenades while they were flying over enemy positions to flush them out. You can chain stun enemies that way, but that just gets old real quick. Using a high pellet number shotgun allows you to inflict status on enemies while detonating your own 'nades. It will demolish any opposition quite quick, apart from the rare exoskeleton/boss/mech. Also, crafting a ton of 'nades is easy.

My top favourite characters in the game are Hanako and Mitch. Hanako is what the strong woman everyone rages about should be. She shits the pants when she chooses to oppose her brother but doesn't show any weakness. Despite being willing to manipulate and even threaten V she manages to remain neutral without taking on the mantle of an antagonist. That humanises her in an interesting way. Mitch is a bro. The grizzled, old-time vet is well done here despite being a cliché. Wish there was more interactivity with him. Cassidy and Vik are two other characters I have a soft spot for, but unfortunately not enough interaction.

Johnny Silverhand... Killed 11 000 people in the bombing of 'Saka Tower. Seen people deprived of land and water. A friend of his took a bullet for him in the war. An Edgelord. It's really too bad that a lot of what should be making this character interesting is tucked away and not elaborated on. He killed 11 000 people. The player only hears about 1 of those 11 000 that he didn't want to kill. There's a lot missing about Johnny Silverhand which would otherwise make his character much better. I can see that they were trying to make him complex and nuanced... but a lot is just flat out missing. We're told... and that's it.

V... just give me my damn silent protagonist. It would also reduce expenses and allow for more interactivity and reactivity.

My favourite ending was the easy way out because unlike all the others both V and Johnny agree on something and find peace in that decision. It's true - it's hard to see how anyone's sacrifice would be worth it for the man who detonated a nuclear bomb in the middle of the city and a blood-money merc who does wet contracts for... well... money. That does not necessarily mean they are bad, but I think there should be more about their dark sides. It's only in that ending that I think both V and Johnny manage to reconcile that side of them with their being.

DeepOcean

Arcane
CP 2077 is Early Access Witcher 3 with guns.
I agree with most of your points, Witcher 3 is terrible as a game and the constant cock sucking of CDPR is what lead to this game, badly designed, broken and shallow mechanics. I just wanted to say that it doesnt quite exceed Witcher 3 on its stronger points so it is more Early Access Witcher with guns, even from a pure decline storyfag perspective, while the dialog is really, really well written and the storyfaggotry has its high points, I was feeling meh through the whole story because there is a massive gap between Act 1 and Act 3 and Act 2 is all filled with pointless bullshit. I felt meh about it.

You do entire missions to just: A) meet a character that repeats what you already know since Act 1, B)Two missions of a character trying to talk with another character, C) Find a character than cant say anything of useful for you, D) Talk with a few shitty characters that also cant help and another that gives you a vague promise will help you in the end, everything you do on those missions remain self contained on those missions and dont lead anywhere besides some short sidequests that are really light on gameplay. Nothing happens of importance on those missions. Then it is rushed Act 3 time, where they go through what is left of the story on light speed.

The pacing of the story is all fucked and on Act 2, that was the moment for them to sell me their story and I was so bored by all that bullshit that doesnt amount to anything. Basically, the story only has two really important story points, the end of Prologue and the end of the game, everything between is just filler, well written filler but still filler that get nowhere. So, it is more like a Witcher 3 with guns that is missing content and was released on Early Access.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom