Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

mogwaimon

Magister
it was an aight year as far as gaming goes, had a lot of time on my hands for it coz I was streaming and trying to get YT/Twitch off the ground since, you know, pandemic and all gives a fella a lot of time to try and build up a side hustle.

First time clears:
Bloodborne - Got the plat, really enjoyed it. First run was with Kirkhammer and I had a hard AF time, couldn't beat DLC or chalice dungeons. second run I went in on a fresh file (Not NG+) and rushed the pizza slicer weapon from the DLC, which was much more my style. Demolished everything then went through NG+ real quick for the last ending.

Dark Souls 2 - Did all the DLCs, third DLC really pissed me off but it was still worth the playthrough. Final boss of the third DLC was the only time I've ever had to summon anything to beat it, those cats are fucking bullshit.

Hollow Knight - Still need to get around to doing the last two pantheons in the Godhome DLC but I beat everything else in the game for the most part. Well, excepting the ironman modes and the like.

Terraria - Great fun in multiplayer. Ended up doing three runs of this one, two of them modded.

FF7 Remake - Disgusting is the word that comes to mind. Phenomenal graphics unless it's a door texture or a broken mirror, but they gangraped my childhood. Tentatively hoping they'll fix it by going in an interesting new direction with part 2 but if they still insist it's a 'remake' for part 2 i'll be miffed

Kirby's Dreamland 3 - What? I'd never finished it before and wanted a quick one-two stream game. Was fun

Monster Hunter World Iceborne - Technically cheating as I'd beaten the base game before, but I did the expansion this year. Still haven't taken out all the DLC content or cleared out my optional mission list..Fatalis too stronk especially since I basically skipped like 4 DLC monsters to get to him and World has a lot more power creep than normal for a MH game.

Attack Helicopter Dating Simulator - I fucked the Apache. was a funny ride

That one KFC dating game - Because I can't resist the Colonel

Sex With Stalin - This one was another visual novel, weird and wacky. You're some Russkie who goes back in time to have a one nighter with Joseph Stalin. I got a really bad ending but it was pretty hilarious, not bad for a 4 dollar kusoge.

Carrion: Interesting inversion of the horror game trope, you play as the monster. Too short and not as fun as I thought it'd be, also too expensive.

Replays:

Earth Defense Force 2017 - Actually this one I'm proud of coz even though it was a game I'd beaten before, I'd only been able to do it on Normal back when I first played it in like 2007 or whenever it came out. Now I beat it on Inferno Mode which is the highest difficulty

EDF4.1 - The sequel to the above game, I only beat it on normal this time though. I got bored and dropped it for a bit coz I was EDFed out

Super Mario Odyssey - Just because of Mario's 35th anniversary. First time playthroughs can really skew your perspective of a game because before I replayed it, I thought Odyssey was a modern masterpiece (as far as triple A games go anyway) but on this second replay I really felt just how tedious the game can get with all the filler power moons and shit.

New Super Mario Bros Deluxe/Luigi U - Same reasons as above, basically.

...also did Mario is Missing/Mario's Time Machine as a gag.

Final Fantasy 1 (PSP) - I wanted to do some RPGs on my channel and I figured I'd start with some basic bitch FF, especially coz last time I did the PSP version in like 2008 or so I never beat all the superbosses. This time I did...but then I never ended up doing more RPGs. This year I hope to change that.

Life of D. Duck - This is a shitty MSPaint point and click adventure game made by Bjornar B. It's shitty in all the right ways though and even spawned a slightly better quality sequel. I did a play for YT for the lulz coz I enjoy stupid shit like this.

Sword of the Berserk Guts' Rage - Old Dreamcast game I had as a kid. Remembered it being pretty fuckin badass, but in retrospect it kinda wasn't. Controls were clunky as hell and it's like Metal Gear Solid in that the game is basically a couple of action sequences stitched around a barrel of cutscenes, except the action is on rails hack and slash instead of a sandbox sort of deal and the cutscenes aren't batshit crazy...well, okay, I take it back. They ARE but not in the same way as MGS. Still, it's a Berserk game and as far as that goes it's a good way to kill an afternoon and features an original story that wasn't in the manga.

Final Fantasy 14 - Technically still playing this, but I beat the base game at the tail end of 2020 when a friend decided to start and I leapt at the opportunity to dive back into a former addiction again. First chara I had I never went past the base game but on my current chara am at the beginning of the second expansion.

Unfinished:

Dark Souls 3 - Got bored after Abyss Watchers and never booted game back up again. Will revisit eventually, just got all Soulsed out after doing BB and DS2 in a short span of time.

Ghost of Tsushima - Also got bored and stopped. Was more frustrated that while I was streaming it people who came by just wanted to talk politics and shit in the middle of the story and so I stopped playing, promised to pick it up later, and never did. It's actually a fine game but also didn't quite have the hook to bring me back in.

A Hat In Time - I actually beat the base game but then was challenged to do the bullshit hard post-game DLC, Deathwish. I got to about 70-80/114 stamps or so before I got tired of it and dropped it. I keep telling myself I'll go back eventually and finish but never do.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze - I don't know what it is about this game but every time I try it I just can't bring myself to complete it. This was my second attempt and while I did make it in further I just didn't care enough to keep going which is weird because I loved the SNES ones as a kid...but meh.

Cyberpunk 2077 - I originally wasn't even gonna buy this one TBH but I allowed myself to get peer pressured into preordering it a few days before release coz I was like 'fuck it I'm probably gonna end up buying it anyway'. Well I got through one stream of the game and was like, 'this is pretty shit even without the bugs' and uninstalled. Maybe I'll try again in a year when the game is finished.

...probably more that i missed/forgot about but who cares, right? This year I'm hoping to do some Yakuza since we're finally getting the rest of the main series on PC so I'll probably 'try' to do a full series playthrough and burn myself out on it. In 2019 I did do Yakuza 0 and Kiwami, then started on Kiwami 2 and got pissed off at how different the Dragon Engine made the game feel so I dunno if I'm keen on replaying the first two to near 100% again (main story + all sub stories is my personal metric for 100%) so soon after doing it. Also looking forward to that Saviors of Sapphire Wings/Stranger of Sword City Revisited combo pack coming out because I really enjoyed the original SotSC and would like an excuse to revisit it, plus a whole new game. Then there's the new Monster Hunter, they're re-releasing Super Mario 3D World in February and I kinda want to get in on that as well...and currently I'm working my way through Pokemon Clover which is a Pokemon romhack by 4chan, really good stuff.

I know it's not as patrician of a list as many of you have buuuuut it's what I spent my year doing. I always tell myself to go back and do some older RPGs and stuff, like Gothic and VtM and Might and Magic and all that are on The Backlog but then I never quite find the time or I get enticed by other games.

mogwaimon

Magister
because I like all sorts of games, including RPGs. I don't exclusively play them, you know.

also why would I talk to the mouthbreathers and soyboys on Reddit or whatever when I can talk to all the grognards here? at least here people speak their minds and don't pussyfoot around just for upvotes or out of fear of getting banned or whatever

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Age of Decadence
Alpha Centauri
Civilization II
Crisis in the Kremlin
Executive Suite
Fallout
Floor 13
Gangsters: Organized Crime
Hidden Agenda
Imperialism II
Legionary's Life
Shin Megami Tensei

Demo.Graph

Arbiter
Finished :4/5:
A Plague Tale: Innocence - Gameplay is for kids, story is nice.

Dropped :3/5:
Children of a Dead Earth - Nice idea, but poor realisation.
Colonization (freecol) - Nice idea, but too much micro for my taste.
Dark Souls - Surprisingly poor quality for such a hyped game. Hitboxes don't correspond to character models or animations. Yin-Yang is masqueraded as a "too deep for you" humanity-fire dichotomy. Plot is based on all too meaningful eyerolling. Level design is great, though, as well as damage/hp balance. Dropped, maybe I'll get back to this when I'm in a mood for Diablo clones.
Graveyard Keeper - Hipster economic sim. Okay, but too repetitive.
Hollow Knight - Metroidvania. Like Dark Souls, but production quality is good all around.
Industry Giant 2 - Nice, but kinda simplistic for an economic sim.
Terraria - Minecraft without a soul.

Dropped and don't want to discuss this cancer :0/5:
Barotrauma
Civilization Beyond Earth
Dying Light
Frostpunk

Replayed :5/5:
Dominions 5
SMAC
Thief Gold

Still playing
Factorio - Cracktorio is great. I've made a death world even harder and have fun with zerg rushes.
Kenshi - It's a half-assed mess of a game. But its style has some potential for CYOA roleplaying shenanigans.
KSP
Satellite Reign
Space Haven - Rimworld in a spaceship, still alpha, nothing to play here. But looks promising.
Warhammer TW

Curratum

MXGP 3, MXGP 2019, Thief Gold (re-play obviously), Dark Souls Remastered, Dark Souls 2 SotfS (re-play), Red Dead Redemption 2.

Demo.Graph

Arbiter
Frostpunk
This is a good game, wtf is wrong with you man?
Well, if you insist...

Spoiler due to offtop.
I've played main scenario and dropped it due to boredom and WTF moments.

Worldbuilding and plot are retarded.
- The main premise is hipster grade. If cold is a problem, dig in underground, it's warm down there. 19 century miners knew that. Or build near geothermals, they're practically infinite. You don't have to make a megachimney. And while steampunk has quirks and more about style than logic, it shouldn't go full Narnia.
- Cold has killed all humans and pretty much all life, yet the city can somehow get fed by hunters.
- Moral decisions are retarded. Forcing children to cut wood outside is "evil", while forcing children to cut limbs in hospitals is "good" for some reason.
- Game timescale is all over the place. I chose religious path and people got mass converted into a half-assed personality cult in like a week (implying that a day ingame is more like a year). At the same time children don't grow up and pops don't age.
- All world got frozen, but when plot demands you get hordes of refugees out of thin air.

Game mechanics are all over the place.
- Each meeple has a name and relations and the main menu implies that histories of ordinary pops are important, yet no pop interaction systems are in place. You can't educate pops and there's no real difference between workers and engineers (or whatever they're called). There're no social interactions except scripted binary choice decisions that pop up on timer. Pops are basically another form of ingame money with fancy models.
- There're no significant economic decisions to make. What should I do, make an efficient steam core food factory and build a lot of inefficient coal mines or make an efficient steam core coal mine and make a lot of inefficient food factories? What's the difference when total output is the same?
- There're no alternative resource production models. You have to get an income of a set amount of resources that can't even be substituted. There're no logistic chains and no production chains (except food - prep food).
- City geometry doesn't really matter.
- I've lost a single pop all game and that was due to a random scout-killing event on RNG. With the player unable to affect a probability of success during those events they are either completely random (and so a bad game mechanic) or force player to savescum. I.e. those events are pseudo choices.

The game is generally too easy. IIRC I've played on normal. I dropped the game during megastorm, because I had all heat techs researched, a fully heated city and stocks of food and coal for something like 7 or 10 days. And resource production basically in the green. And I've spent several days before the storm rebuilding the city just to increase its symmetry because I had too many resources and tried to entertain myself somehow.
Maybe the game would get tighter on higher difficulties, but the main game loop is boring.

It's an economic sim without economic systems.
It's a survival game without survival.
It's a grimdark game without characters' suffering (or characters for that matter).
It's a game about optimization of 4 or 5 independent resource flows with a lot of meaningless bullshit on top.

Finally the game is unoptimized. My Radeon RX 5700 XT (2019) heats up to 90 C rendering the picture that has maybe a hundred building models and a bunch of weather filters on screen.

curds

Magister
"What games did you complete in 2020"
*Bunch of people proceed to post a huge list of games they didn't complete*

DemonKing

Arcane
Off the top of my head the ones I actually completed:

Ghost of Tsushima - Looks gorgeous, decent gameplay, great ending but probably overstayed it's welcome a bit.
Last of Us II - Whatever you think of the dev. choices and blatant SJW pandering the actual gameplay is decent.
Mortal Shell - Surprisingly fun Soulslike with just enough twists to stand on its own.
Desperados 3 - My GOTY. Great music, voice acting & gameplay. Give them the Commandos license!
COD: BLOPS Cold War - Surprisingly fun and mind-bending single player game, multi is standard COD but well done.
DOOM Eternal - I liked 2016 Doom probably a bit more if only because of the stupid jumping puzzles they added.
Vaporum Lockdown - Clone Vaporum and you get Lockdown. Barely different than the original.
Gears Tactics - Fun little turn-baed tactics game letdown by making you play the same handful of missions over and over again.

Sadly I don't really have time to finish any game that takes more than around 40 hours or so to complete these days meaning I start a lot of CRPGs with good intentions but rarely finish them.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom