Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Say one SHITTY thing about a GOOD game

it sucks that you don't have control of your whole party in either Fallout or Fallout 2.
nah

Yeah. I'd actually kind of forgotten how bullshit only being able to control your character can be at time. Oh great, one of my characters just randomly decided to run in front of a minigun. Oh, they think the best place to be is between me and my target. For a game whose two big influence are Wasteland and X-Com it's an odd choice to only ever have you control one character. It's also a weird choice given you can use your party member's skills if they're better than you at something, so the game does in a way let you order them around outside combat directly, but when it comes to the area of the game where it's most advantageous to give you more control it gives you less. They could have even found some middle ground to it where your party won't always listen to you or something. But as is, what they went with sucks and you should have control over them to keep them out of dumb random bullshit. It also seems like a pretty pointless omission in a turn-based game where controlling multiple characters is easy.

Codex Year of the Donut
it sucks that you don't have control of your whole party in either Fallout or Fallout 2.
nah

Yeah. I'd actually kind of forgotten how bullshit only being able to control your character can be at time. Oh great, one of my characters just randomly decided to run in front of a minigun. Oh, they think the best place to be his between me and my target. For a game whose two big influence are Wasteland and X-Com it's an odd choice to only ever have to control one character. It's also a weird choice given you can use your party member's skills if they're better than you at something, so the game does in a way let you order them around outside directly, but when it comes to the area of the game where it's most advantageous to give you more control it gives you less. They could have even found some middle ground to it where your party won't always listen to you or something. But as is, what they went with sucks and you should have control over them to keep them out of dumb random bullshit. It also seems like a pretty pointless omission in a turn-based game where controlling multiple characters is easy.
I don't like directly controlling companions tbh.

nah

Yeah. I'd actually kind of forgotten how bullshit only being able to control your character can be at time. Oh great, one of my characters just randomly decided to run in front of a minigun. Oh, they think the best place to be his between me and my target. For a game whose two big influence are Wasteland and X-Com it's an odd choice to only ever have to control one character. It's also a weird choice given you can use your party member's skills if they're better than you at something, so the game does in a way let you order them around outside directly, but when it comes to the area of the game where it's most advantageous to give you more control it gives you less. They could have even found some middle ground to it where your party won't always listen to you or something. But as is, what they went with sucks and you should have control over them to keep them out of dumb random bullshit. It also seems like a pretty pointless omission in a turn-based game where controlling multiple characters is easy.

Why?

laclongquan

Arcane
The final boss fight in Silent Storm is completely retarded and drags to whole game down.
I will point out that it's the single biggest example of 3D combat map. Damn thing is too big and spacey(cylinder thing) that low rig computers just cant run it without crashing. Especially if you do tactical and slot snipers, explosive throwers on highest platform.

So not retarded. But I will agree to "drag the whole game down". CTD is down.

It is a pretty retarded design and the technical problems that it can cause are just the icing on the proverbial shit-cake (btw the game would crash if you managed to demolish the panzerklein factory as well and same would go for many other large buildings). Up until the final mission the game presents you with often highly complex tactical missions with multiple ways of approaching them. The final mission breaks with all that and instead presents you with a straight up shootout with a woman that has a billion HP inside a flying dual laser panzerklein with billion armour points. Despite the size of the rocket silo, there is very little space to manoeuvre and you can more or less just trade shots in hope that you will bring her down before your whole team gets fucked. Then, when you actually manage to beat her, the game follows up with the second 1 vs 1 fight in another bland environment. First I saw the final mission I could not believe how shit it was after being completely amazed by the game and I spent lot of time trying to find out what the secret point of it all is (like maybe you can somehow use the rocket to destroy the panzerklein if you push some button somewhere etc).

Imagine if the whole game was designed like the final mission - it would be completely shit. Of course that is not the case, since the missions up to the very end maintain a very high degree of quality, only to culminate into the shit show I described above. If the devs made you simply fight your way through the silo like you do in numerous other missions, it would be fine. Instead the final mission feels like they had enough of developing the game and decided to take the most low effort way out possible. It really drags the whole experience down for me.
It's nearly the pinnacle of tactical design. When it's combined all the element of destructible environment and 3D combat, it can be very complex indeed.

1. Specifically, the BOSS in that map is a flying PK with massive HP. It sound difficult because it can fly in an 3D well (cylynder space) thus it can avoid your visions. But that's why I said earlier about slotting snipers and explosive throwers on highest platform. they ensure that nobody can escape our views and either get hit by snipers, or get hit by explosives on the head. Tactical, yo.~ As for people down there to take cover, there're a quite a few of PK suits left behind by enemies and you can stand/crouch behind them in a form of makeshift covers, or you can run into the nearby doors that can protect 1 or two guys. Worse come to worse you can have your guys in PK covering others. Tactical, yo.~ The Boss is not that hard if your guys are good, your tactic is logical and you have fun with it.

2. On the process of CTD if you bring down structures in that map or PK factory earlier, well, that's the risk you take when designing destructible environment with massive platform that you can bring down crashing~ It's awesome and prone to CTD. :shrug: One reason why devs dont want to do destructible environment: CTD come with territory. Mind you, if you play that game with top of the line 3D graphic card and RAM, it doesnt crash. meaning the crash come from engines cant handle large math when whole thing crashing down.

Codex Year of the Donut
nah

Why?
I like having a separation between my character which is my representation in the gameworld and the characters my character is travelling with.
I prefer being able to give them orders or suggestions but not directly control.

nah

Why?
I like having a separation between my character which is my representation in the gameworld and the characters my character is travelling with.
I prefer being able to give them orders or suggestions but not directly control.

Then just think of it like you're giving them an order. You're giving them an order to fall back and shoot. You're giving them an order to not mindlessly run in front of the guy with a minigun.

nah

Why?

Then just think of it like you're giving them an order. You're giving them an order to fall back and shoot. You're giving them an order to not mindlessly run in front of the guy with a minigun.
In fact, in real RPGs, you're actually only ordering your own character, too. Direct control only happens in action-RPGS. That's what all those skill checks are about.

It seems like you're talking about direct control as a means of locomotion, (as opposed to point-and-click controls which Fallout 1 & 2 have) where we're talking about being able to directly control party members during combat (which is turn-based) as opposed to having the AI do it. You being able to tell your party what to do isn't going to fuck up skill checks.

buffalo bill

Arcane
underrail has plot-gated content and cutscenes
age of decadence is pretty ugly (though maybe this is a virtue in a way)
doomrl, cataclysm dda, infra arcana, adom and caves of qud have consumed large portions of my life

Funposter

Arcane
Morrowind has really fucked up balance and the expansions are awful. Pure magic builds suck ass because Reflect was used as a blanket method of making high level enemies "hard", which means you have a 25-50% chance of nuking yourself at any given moment.
Fallout: New Vegas doesn't do a good job of making the Legion an appealing path for the player to follow, especially since it's so cutoff from the rest of the game's content.
Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal have an abysmal level curve and the distribution of new Pokemon was fucked up and awful.
Pathfinder: Kingmaker is too big and long for its own good, especially since it's not a game that is easy to digest in short chunks.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution incentivizes stealth & stealth takedowns too heavily, leading to players receiving too much EXP and all playthroughs being exactly the same in terms of build variety since there are more praxis points available than useful augmentations.
The Witcher gave my PC a BSOD as soon as I got to Vizima and made me never want to play it again. This was eight years ago.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Underrail doesn't let you side with the friendly endgame boss. Age of Decadence doesn't let you hire a bodyguard to follow you around. Kingdom Come Deliverance doesn't have proper 3rd person view. Field of Glory 2 campaigns don't really explore the source material at all. Baldur's Gate 2 forces you to play through that shit tier dungeon at the start. Pathfinder makes you play through that shit tier castle at the start. Ultima 7 has real time combat that is in a shit tier insanity category of its own (although still very entertaining at times). Teudogar's pro-roman campaign is extremely short. Geneforge shapers get mad when you use all the canisters. Crescent Hawk's Inception combat is all light mechs, except the solitary chameleon. PoE2 has a caribbean theme. The most dangerous thing in Ecstatica is the camera angle. System Shock had a terrible interface for an fps.

Last edited:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Hollow Knight doesn't have a way to spend money really.
Dreamfall has a horrible face animation and too many pathetic monologues.
Sunless Sea/Skies would be so much better with Save feature, because it can autosave you on the edge of death and you should restart the whole game (while the map is generating again but all quests stay the same and should be completed again).

Codex Year of the Donut

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
nuXCOM's (1+2) strategy layer can be in one of only two different states: steamrollering and a vicious cycle of decline. The latter is unrescueable and usually gameruining, but you don't know you're in it until 3-5 hours after you enter. The only reliable way of avoiding the bad state is metaknowledge - eg: rush satellites.

A very small amount of Disco Elysium's dialogue drags so terribly you wonder what they fuck you're doing with it.

Hyper Light Drifter's plot critically fails to deliver on the hype and mythos surrounding the developer's heart condition.

CabbageHead

Novice
Wasteland 3 went to far with its wacky theme.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom