Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition

DeepOcean

Arcane
They are pretty great good for what they are RPG lite games, there is some incline with secret ending that reward exploration and all that stuff at the end of Hong Kong. Hope Harebrained Schemes eventually make another one of those, preference with a more complex RPG system as what they have is a bit barebones as they pretty much streamlined the PnP system way too much for muh accessibility. The mod that allows the Ai to use more AP also makes the game better.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I need to finish this game. I'm pretty far into it, but I'm at one of the obnoxious mandatory decking sequences and it killed my enthusiasm to keep playing.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It starts off so well, promising and makes you want to keep playing, but then, act two comes, and it's all about side quests. A huge dissapointment, i got bored and left it, until now.

I'm confused, you don't like sidequests? One of the main complaints with the first two was lack of sidequests, that's why Dragonfall added more in its "director's cut" and Hong Kong has more in general.

I need to finish this game. I'm pretty far into it, but I'm at one of the obnoxious mandatory decking sequences and it killed my enthusiasm to keep playing.

The new sneaking style matrix stuff was shit, yeah. That and the story being a bit weaker are the two problems with the game. That said I'm pretty sure I played pretty fast and loose with getting caught in the matrix and mostly did okay.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
The Shadowrun Trilogy is currently free on GOG.

This collection includes Shadowrun Returns, Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut, and Shadowrun: Hong Kong. The giveaway ends at 12pm UK time on Monday 28th June.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

This collection includes Shadowrun Returns, Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut, and Shadowrun: Hong Kong. The giveaway ends at 12pm UK time on Monday 28th June.
I told this to all my friends (all 4 of them) and nobody was interested. Well, one of them already had them, but the others weren't. Maybe. At least they didn't show interest. This is sad, just to be clear.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I told this to all my friends (all 4 of them) and nobody was interested. Well, one of them already had them, but the others weren't. Maybe. At least they didn't show interest. This is sad, just to be clear.
Clearly you got at it from the wrong angle,if they were bulgars you should have promised them some free drinking if they get it,if they were germans a free blowjob would have done it.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The matrix sequences really grew on me.

You actually like the Matrix in Hong Kong? The real time was a big downgrade for me.

It's been some time since I played the other Shadowruns, but I remember being bored out of my mind in the Matrix. Real time is a nice diversion from the combat gameplay.

It was mostly boring, but there were some fun scenarios where your decker would be jacked in and your other teammates had to protect him in the real world. It created another layer to the combat where time traveled faster in the matrix and you had ways in the matrix to interact with the real world as well as ways in the real world to interact with the matrix. I was hoping they were going to polish that up, but instead they moved to real-time which felt jarring in an otherwise turn-based game. It was a step back for me.

Jason Liang

Arcane
The Matrix had one of the coolest interactions in Dragonfall. In the MKVI run, you actually can fight the riggers controlling the Cybertroll in the Matrix, if you have a decker/rigger.

TheSoul

Scholar
Best part of the matrix was how they intertwined with the missions. I remember Blitz's mission and how you used him to infiltrate a building and then needed him to stop a hacker after being ambushed.

The actual gameplay feels too limited (I have same problem with the combat), but HB was good at creating situations to use the matrix beyond just opening a door.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
The matrix sequences really grew on me.

You actually like the Matrix in Hong Kong? The real time was a big downgrade for me.

It's been some time since I played the other Shadowruns, but I remember being bored out of my mind in the Matrix. Real time is a nice diversion from the combat gameplay.

It was mostly boring, but there were some fun scenarios where your decker would be jacked in and your other teammates had to protect him in the real world. It created another layer to the combat where time traveled faster in the matrix and you had ways in the matrix to interact with the real world as well as ways in the real world to interact with the matrix. I was hoping they were going to polish that up, but instead they moved to real-time which felt jarring in an otherwise turn-based game. It was a step back for me.

Jarring I wouldn't say. It's a smoother blend of real time and turn based than e.g. Might and Magic or Arcanum

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
agris what happened to your mod that removes the AI limitation of using only 1 AP to attack? Google drive says I need to be granted access, lol.

agris

Arcane
Patron
agris what happened to your mod that removes the AI limitation of using only 1 AP to attack? Google drive says I need to be granted access, lol.
Thanks for the alert. Google changed their “share file to anyone with link” policy a while ago, under the pretense of privacy. I suspect this was really done as a way to block access to old-ish drive links posted in public, saving google bandwidth.

I think I can fix this on my end, I’ll ping you when I’ve done it. Sorry for the inconvenience.

LabRat

Learned
Finished this game last week, along with shadows of hong kong.

When it came out five years ago, I dropped it after fifteen hours, because of the structure of the campaign. It starts off so well, promising and makes you want to keep playing, but then, act two comes, and it's all about side quests. A huge dissapointment, i got bored and left it, until now.

I like the design of quests, even if in practice it is still the same as always in terms of gameplay, but it was a terrible decision not to include missions related to the plot, it feels like you are wasting time because reasons.

Even replaying it after all these years, after several quests in Heoi, i had to drop it for several days, until I resumed it.

It's a shame because the content is good. The npcs are even more interesting than Dragonfall.

The Matrix redesign was awfull.

As for the bonus campaign, I liked it more than the original. It's shorter but to the point, few filler secondary quests, and more focused on conspiracies and dangerous alliances rather than supernatural evil / s ™

And i loved Duncan and his lv 6 cyberarm that throws back grenades. Best skill ever!!!
I think the issue is that the power level escalates too quickly. HK protagonist and Duncan probably started out as a street level runners. Fight a cult leader and some lesser horrors would makes more sense.

behold_a_man

Educated
I think this game is inferior to Dragonfall mostly because the Harebrained fellows were willing to change some mechanics, but not overhaul the others that were intertwined with them like communicating vessels.

1) The matrix system:
-> Adding the real-time action made entering the combat, then avoiding all those pesky watchers in the turn-based mode optimal - I lost 20-40 trace points by that action (which can be fixed by Suppression), and didn't need to solve that real-time puzzle with uneven controls because in turn-based mode beholders were idle while I was moving.
-> Small number of melee combatants, along with the trace mechanics (waiting becomes less beneficial) made Firewall and Blaster useless.

2) Having ~1-2 fights per level was not necessarily a bad idea, but:
-> This made the resource management irrelevant - I didn't need to think about which character has how many medkits or grenades because I didn't need excessive preparations for the next combat on the level.
-> The dialogues took more time than the actual gameplay - which is a shame, as they were not exactly thrilling; but even if they were: I saw here an argument that Undersigil and Modron Maze in Planescape: Torment were beneficial for the game precisely because they gave players a break from the writing - and this game is an example of "what happens if there are almost no breaks from the writing".

3) The game became very simple (as compared to Dragonfall), thanks to:
-> Very hard mode getting removed.
-> ~20 more points of karma from the main campaign (which makes quite a difference - effectively allows to move a single skill from 0 to 6).
-> Two additional augments.
-> The arm augment giving +1 to Quickness and Ranged Combat - it can save 30 points of karma for someone wanting to use a high-end rifle (no need to move from 6 to 8 in both of those skills).
This wasn't offset even by the scarcity of money and the lack of bonuses from armor. The three last things would not be problematic if the combat was made harder, but it was so simple that I didn't need a single medkit in the last two missions of the main campaign.

4) The soundtrack was not spectacular - it was neither beautiful nor did it build any tension; there were no tracks like the ones used in Feuerstelle or Bloodline missions in Dragonfall.

Also, the expansion is more interesting than the base game - the missions were longer, the fights harder and the plot more down-to-earth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom