Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

wahrk

Learned
The codex has a very revisionist historical view of Troika.
All Shittesda games are bestsellers despite being a bug-ridden mess on release.
No Mans Sky got some enormous sales on hype alone and the released product was an all out bugfest.

Bugs? I didnt think bugs were the issue with NMS. I thought the issue with NMS was that it, you know, wasn't anything like it was promised.

It’s kind of surprising to me that anyone really fell for it - if you watched the previews it was pretty obvious there was nothing substantial there. Every bit of footage had nothing but flying around, scanning things and shooting rocks with your laser. “But what do you do?” was a common question, as I recall. A bunch of people needed their first lesson in not falling for hype, I guess.

Codex Year of the Donut
The codex has a very revisionist historical view of Troika.
All Shittesda games are bestsellers despite being a bug-ridden mess on release.
No Mans Sky got some enormous sales on hype alone and the released product was an all out bugfest.

Bugs? I didnt think bugs were the issue with NMS. I thought the issue with NMS was that it, you know, wasn't anything like it was promised.

It’s kind of surprising to me that anyone really fell for it - if you watched the previews it was pretty obvious there was nothing substantial there. Every bit of footage had nothing but flying around, scanning things and shooting rocks with your laser. “But what do you do?” was a common question, as I recall. A bunch of people needed their first lesson in not falling for hype, I guess.
they not only fell for it, they fell for it twice.
People now repeat the "it's great now!" meme but it's exactly the same as before. There's fucking nothing to do.

Briar Diem

Arcane
Developer
Correct, he was the lead designer on Deadfire. Roguey is completely right in that a lot of people are either too lazy to update LinkedIn (if you know you're here for the long haul, then who cares), or sometimes it's best until you've shipped a title in said position because of what just happened could happen.

Ging_Sama

Novice
Obsidian is the gift that keeps on giving.

Apparently:

- Chris Parker and Feargus Slam Dunkulus got into a huge falling out over Avowed, guess it wasn't going great
- ...in front of the studio so everyone got to see it...
- ...after this, Parker gets yanked off Avowed (!).
- Bobby Null (lead designer?) also gets yanked off Avowed.
- Art Directors switch to someone else, not sure who.
- Not sure who new art, lead designer, and project director except the new project director and lead designer is "not Sawyer."

Not a good sign. Wow, what a clusterfuck.

Before you ask for citations, I got multiple citations on this info, but still happy to get more confirmation and any details I missed (kinda hoping someone here also can independently confirm this if they have access to Obsidian gossips and complainers/worriers).

Pattel is the new director. Matt Hansen is the new art director. Bobby Null wasn't the lead designer on this project, he was the creative director. There is no replacement for him so far.

How it is possible that Bobby null was Creative Director on Avowed when he was lead designer on Grounded with Adam Brennecke ?

Flying Dutchman

Learned
So Chris Parker was really fired for this project ? or it is just a speculation ?

Word is, both were moved off the project, not fired, only that Slam Dunk and Parker got into a falling out and the state of Avowed had something to do with it. I was surprised by that, they seemed to have worked together forever?

I don't think Null was Creative Director of anything.

Gordian Nutt I didn't hear about Patel, that's new to me, and this may seem hypocritical, but I really doubt that for such a flagship title (not like Parker seems to have much better cred). But if she did take the reins, hoooooo boy.

Flou know anything? Sailor Woedica / Kate? Any other Obsidian employees on here?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Word is, both were moved off the project, not fired, only that Slam Dunk and Parker got into a falling out and the state of Avowed had something to do with it. I was surprised by that, they seemed to have worked together forever?

The two argue all the time, the most public argument happening during the Project Eternity livestream that ended with shouts of "Fuck you!" "No, fuck you!" while Avellone openly expressed a wish that he lose his short term memory.

Thonius

Arcane
Thank god I buried Obsidian years ago in my headcanon, when they announced what was it.... I'm blanking here... game without a soul... you play as powerful dude/duddet eh...

Thonius

Arcane
Something spaced themed... it had fallout ambitions, at least that' what the press wanted people to think. No, really for the life of me I can't remember how it's called, but I refuse to google that disaster. People who preordered it also got burned a bit. You know the thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom