Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

MadMal073

Literate
(1) Do sages learn any new spells after level 10? If not, I might multi-class mine into cleric so I have a second character who can cast enchanted blade, and have access to the cure paralysis spell (which I don't yet have...).
(2) Does the Prophetess in Megalith Spire have any purpose after your initial encounter with her? I tried heading back to her spot after killing Show Spoiler the Methuselah , but she didn't reappear.
(3) Which recruitable NPC in the game is pirate class? Might give that class a try...
(4) Has anyone in the game experienced tablet robbers yet? I have the option on and have rested a bunch and taken my time, but the five tablets I've collected so far were all where they were supposed to be.

1) There is a list of what spells can be learned at what class level. I'm pretty sure it's in the manual.
2) Don't remember.
3) If none of the pirates you met are recruitable, then there may be none. You can create pirates right in the beginning and honestly, they are not as good as Assassins or Jesters.

If you want spoilers, here is a list of all or most of the recruitable NPC's in the game, including their class:
http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/NPCs#List_of_all_recruitable_NPC.27s_.28SPOILERS.29

4) I played without them.

Thanks! I have discovered one NPC that isn't in that list
Parasmus, the naga you hatch from the egg found at Bahomet Megalith
, but it otherwise appears very helpful/comprehensive.

Do you happen to know what the deal with the astral stalker is? I can't find any information on it in the wiki. Ahriman sent it after me for killing the kraken, but when I encounter it it's just neutral and I can just exit the conversation and run away from it, so I'm not sure what the point of it is unless it just hounds me for now and suddenly becomes aggressive later...

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Actually, just saw that one of the premium NPC's is a pirate. But he will only join if you have no other NPC's in your party.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Thanks! I have discovered one NPC that isn't in that list Show Spoiler Parasmus, the naga you hatch from the egg found at Bahomet Megalith , but it otherwise appears very helpful/comprehensive.

What is his class?

MadMal073

Literate
Thanks! I have discovered one NPC that isn't in that list Show Spoiler Parasmus, the naga you hatch from the egg found at Bahomet Megalith , but it otherwise appears very helpful/comprehensive.

What is his class?

Warrior, and he's pretty bad ass in the stats department.

6th Lvl Naga Warrior; 150HP; 450 Vit; 250 mg

INT 70
WIS 79
WIL 85
STR 99
CON 98
SPE 95
AGI 80
FEL 35
DEV 30
MET 91
DES 10

Archery 49
Assay 53
Axes/Scim 42
Barter 48
Blade 46
Climb 52
Evade 43
Hammer/Mace 54
Hand to hand 52
Incant 51
Inspect 49
Invoc 42
Lash/chain 53
myth 48
scout 54
scribe 53
shield 49
sling/bola 42
sorcery 100
Spear/lance 56
staff/rod 50
stealth 56
swim 50
sword 52
throw 52

Spells: Dispel Magic

High skills (70+): Sorcery,

MadMal073

Literate
Also confirmed that Krellspar at Desolation of Gideon is recruitable--you just may need high devotion to recruit him. Stats are below:

6th Lvl Leonar Ranger: 140 HP, 300 Vit, 90 magic

INT 46
WIS 46
WIL 46
STR 93
CON 62
SPE 76
AGI 68
FEL 58
DEV 45
MET 64
DES 10

Accuracy 61
Alchem 80
Archery 50
Assay 50
Axe/Scim 50
Backstab 55
Barter 52
Blade 59
Climb 55
Diplo 55
Evade 50
Hammer/Mace 60
Hand to hand 54
Incant 51
Inspect 49
Invoc 64
Lash/chain 61
Lethal blow 60
lockpick 60
mephistics 64
Myth 64
nature lore 62
scout 48
scribe 54
shield 62
slings/bolas 52
spear/lance 53
staff/rod 62
stealth 49
swim 55
sword 61
throw 53

Knows some decent spells too: Finger of Death, Comet of Doom, crushing hand, among others

MadMal073

Literate
Making my way through Skulheim now--has the bug with grues permanently draining strength been fixed yet? Been save scumming just in case, but would prefer not to if I don't need to.

MadMal073

Literate
I've come a long way since my last update/question series here :P Ready to complete the game--Just a few final questions below (all spoilery):

(1) How do you move the bookshelf in the accursed church (the place accessible only at midnight) to access the area behind it? I get a ping from the detect secret spell, but I've clicked everywhere and can't move it.
(2) Can you give the havoc seed to Ahriman? What happens?
(3) Is the spellbook for the teleport spell in any of the areas I haven't visited (Periwinkle area, whatever is behind the bookshelf in the accursed church, Astral Plane, Outward Realms, Moon Abyss, and Spring of Everlife)? I found all the other eldritch/arcanum spells in the archives, but haven't been able to locate teleport, and I imagine the spell dimension door is useless without it.
(4) What is the daemonica coin used for?
(5) Is the Periwinkle content worth backtracking all the way back from the final area of the game to check out?

Gunnar

Arbiter
The spellbooks that you find in the archives are randomized, so you can reload until you get the spells you want there. I found Teleport and Dimension Door, it's a very handy spell allowing you to teleport back to a specific point. If you use it while riding a turtle/boat, it will teleport it with you.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I've come a long way since my last update/question series here :P Ready to complete the game--Just a few final questions below (all spoilery):

(1) How do you move the bookshelf in the accursed church (the place accessible only at midnight) to access the area behind it? I get a ping from the detect secret spell, but I've clicked everywhere and can't move it.
(2) Can you give the havoc seed to Ahriman? What happens?
(3) Is the spellbook for the teleport spell in any of the areas I haven't visited (Periwinkle area, whatever is behind the bookshelf in the accursed church, Astral Plane, Outward Realms, Moon Abyss, and Spring of Everlife)? I found all the other eldritch/arcanum spells in the archives, but haven't been able to locate teleport, and I imagine the spell dimension door is useless without it.
(4) What is the daemonica coin used for?
(5) Is the Periwinkle content worth backtracking all the way back from the final area of the game to check out?

1) Don't remember. I think there was only a fight in that church.
2) Don't know, I killed him long before that.
3) What Gunnar said.
4) Would be helpful to know where you found it. It's not like we can remember every single item by name.
5) It's pretty cool, though not too big. I would explore it. It has

time travel

MadMal073

Literate
I explored Periwinkle (thanks for the recommendation btw--the story arc for that area was pretty awesome), went back, and beat the game via the flying saucer ending. It took 114 hours total for me to beat the game, and what an incredible experience it was! I already wrote a positive review on Steam back when I was 15 hours or so in, but I'll go back and update it further in light of my exciting play through the rest of the game.

In the event a sequel comes out before we're all dead and gone, I'd love to be one of the first in line to play :D

Also, thanks to all of you here for the hints, tips, and answers to my questions along the way!

GandGolf

Augur
Is there anywhere to get the spells TRAP GLUE, DEATH WISH, FIRE WALKING, or HOLY WORD? Getting a cleric to level 26 or a necromancer to level 22 without cheating is a real chore.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
And it's done, after three years and 300 hours of gameplay. There are some things that need to be finished, but I got third ending already.
kpl5cDxm_o.png

Now I need to find a code for that Moon Abyss cube...
Thank you, Cleve.
EDIT:
Now I need to find a code for that Moon Abyss cube...
Found it! It was a clever placement.

Last edited:

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Alright niggers, I'm doing it, gonna tackle Grimoire. I'll assume that basic systems aside, by now this has nothing to do with the 2013 demo, right?
Wanna know if multiclassing (or not) breaks the combat way too much. I'm planing a pretty safe/vanilla party, don't wanna stress myself over it and I might even end up picking a couple of NPCs up if they look cool.

First draft:

Giant Warrior (to soak up the damage, might multi into other fighter classes, esp to get lethal blow)
Vamphyr Assassin > Warrior > Pirate > Thief > Bard > Sage > Wizard > Necromancer
Barrower Thaumaturge will take the suggestions on the wiki to go Jester
Aeorb Sage
Drake Metalsmith (same as the giant)
Ratthu Assassin or Saurian Berserker, likely to be the first to go if I feel like recruiting someone else
Durendil Templar > Warrior > Pirate > Assassin
Wolfin Cleric (is there any good Cleric NPC tho? I hate furries)

What do you think?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Alright niggers, I'm doing it, gonna tackle Grimoire. I'll assume that basic systems aside, by now this has nothing to do with the 2013 demo, right?
Wanna know if multiclassing (or not) breaks the combat way too much. I'm planing a pretty safe/vanilla party, don't wanna stress myself over it and I might even end up picking a couple of NPCs up if they look cool.

First draft:

Giant Warrior (to soak up the damage, might multi into other fighter classes, esp to get lethal blow)
Vamphyr Assassin > Warrior > Pirate > Thief > Bard > Sage > Wizard > Necromancer
Aeorb Sage
Ratthu Assassin or Saurian Berserker, likely to be the first to go if I feel like recruiting someone else

What do you think?
Okay but where are your berserkers?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Aeorb Sage

What do you think?

Vamphyrs are anything but vanilla, as they are weak during daytime. Aeorbs are very squishy. Metalsmith is okay, but not as good as an Assassin. Durendil are also a pain in the ass since they cannot equip most armor. There is a good NPC cleric very early on, I kept her the whole game.

mondblut

Arcane
What do you think?

I think that going from assassin or templar to warrior is a horrific waste of stats. And slogging from warrior to pirate only to drop back to thief? That's outright retarded.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
ERYFKRAD There's the Saurian

Lady Error Figured the deal with the Vamphyr might bite me in the ass, perhaps I'll swap it for Feyfolk (due to the multipliers) or Barrower. I'll stick with the Aeorb mainly because they're cool, I'll set the bonus points to hp to make life easier early on. I assume Durendil get some unique armor to counteract how rare it is to find some, should be fun to see what's out there. Gotcha with the metalsmith, will get something better.

mondblut I was looking for a class that would lead me to the Bard, and since Cleric/Templar puts a huge exp penalty for Vamphyrs I figured no other way than heading back for a Thief. I guess I can either skip war/pir or go by Lady Error's suggestion and take an easier race.
Noted about the Templar, will fix.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Saurian Berserkers will not disappoint. Any race Assassins may be even better. Don't forget to let them fight without weapons in the beginning.

And the Durendil can only equip some of the armor - no special armor for them, as far as I remember.

mondblut

Arcane
Saurians are good at the beginning if you are eschewing multiclassing. For multiclassing they are absolute dead-end, using all mental attributes as dump stats. You might make a warrior into a berserker or the other way around, but that's where it ends for them.

Unless lethal blow was severely nerfed in latest versions, nothing beats a gang of barrower and wolfin berserkers and rangers with minor magical support both in terms of sheer killing power and multiclassing prospects.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Alright, heard your recommendations and onwards I went. Played only for a little while but am already having lots of fun, love the amount of detail and secrets everywhere.

Asking because it has happened that other games wouldn't: does steam sync Grimoire saves? Wanna know if I can fire it up from another pc and continue my playthrough Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Efe

Erudite
you can copy entire game folder into a usb stick and carry it with you wherever you go.
theres no drm and its less than 100mb.
you could even sync it with google drive

Boddler

Educated
it doesnt matter what classes you pick, because:
skills are meaningless,
and all classes can learn all spells.

to not choose wolfen or barrower is to intentionally select sub-optimally, as there is no downside to picking those races.

same also to not gain 4 or 5 extra levels in a few extra classes for each char (this will be one or two combats worth of exp) is to intentionally gimp yourself.

game is an adventure LARP of combining inventory objects to make “keys”

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom