Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HITMAN 3 - final chapter of the nu-Hitman trilogy - now available on Steam

lycanwarrior

Scholar
5eGdpNb.png

I did it.. I went and bought it...
I've maintained Epic Abstinence since this all started and now, this is the game that's broke me.
God forgive me...

Epic Games says:

You will be assimilated muahahaha:

:evilcodex::shunthenonbeliever:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's a good thing they went back on their Hitman 2 bullshit, because they want $20 for the full "access pass," even at a supposed 80% discount.

Anyway... played through Dubai once, will do it again later. Also played through Paris to compare graphics. Hitman 3 looks a lot more "dark and gritty," for lack of a better term. Not sure if I think it's good or bad, just different, and some of it could be placebo as I don't have Hitman 2 installed to compare directly. The main change other than that to Paris is the new reflections, which are much more plentiful and really change the look of some areas. All the wood floors for example now shine and have reflections. It has all the downsides of SSR though, as they change when you move the camera or when people walk across them. The old method didn't have that, so kind of a mixed bag if you ask me.

Dubai plays like all the other levels, so this is very much just more of the same, as expected. I'm totally down for that, though I do think it's good they're ending it here.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Since they gave the story an ending; decided to play the games. Playing through Hitman 1 using Hitman 2 right now. The tone seems very contemporary and feels more like modern spy movies than Hitman, don't like it. They removed the awesome rating system from the og games, sucks, now it's Silent Assassin or nothing. Guess you have to reload spam if you want satisfaction. All I wanted was a Professional rating. The gameplay itself is rather messy, I want to play without instinct, but there is no way of knowing what's behind a door without it. And there are so many items that it's hard to tell what can be interacted with and what cannot be, without using instinct. I don't like that some people notice you wearing outfits garbage either, it feels odd when other dudes literally greet you calling the name of the dude you knocked out for the outfit.

Default guidance is condescending to say the least, good that they let you turn off all that shit and even hide that mission stories bs in the menu. There's also the fact that I can literally see events starting as soon as I reach a trigger point, should've worked on a global timer, this just makes the levels feel like a theme park than a simulation. Would've liked the game to be bit more mechanical instead of contextual.

The game feels a bit script heavy and seems too reliant on specifics. A lot of specific spots for specific actions. There are lots of free form opportunities but the game seem intend on shoving you down a preset path, which is idiotic. Even the post mission screens are like "Look at all this scripted bullshit you missed". But ignoring it yields a more satisfying game.

Compared to modern games, this is in a class of its own. Game has a lot of cool things, levels are impeccably detailed and large with lots of opportunities.
Overall, I really like it despite my complaints. I wish it had the tone and atmosphere of the originals but.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The tone seems very contemporary and feels more like modern spy movies than Hitman, don't like it.

There are some "darker" levels here and there, but it never stops feeling like a spy game. Definitely an intentional decision. I prefer it honestly, but I get why old schoolers can be annoyed by it.

Played through Dubai a few more times, it's a solid level but nothing amazing. It's like Hokkaido but with less a less interesting premise. There's only 3 missions stories despite there being lots of setups, not sure if that's a Hitman 3 thing in general or a Dubai thing (btw I use "minimal" stories Dedicated_Dark but with the challenge descriptions turned off, so the stories only have vague directions with no markers that introduce you to the level for the tougher challenges you really have to figure out). I also did a suit only silent assassin run which was a great stealth challenge. I missed my Hitman, it is nice to have him back. Might do level 2 tomorrow but I have to go out of town the 22nd and 23rd, dammit.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Dubai’s pretty standard stuff by the standard of the last seasons. Berlin & Chongqing look like they’re cut from a different cloth.

Alphons

Cipher
They removed the awesome rating system from the og games, sucks, now it's Silent Assassin or nothing.

Back in 3

Screenshot-2021-01-21-13-53-12-397-com-google-android-youtube.jpg

Screen from video

should've worked on a global timer

Don't know how it's in 3, but 1 and 2 have some timed events. Carusso will have his therapy and detective will contact De Santis after some time (Sapienza), Helmut will meet Dalia in her room (Paris), infection will spread over time (Patient Zero), Kashmirian will try to kill Rangan and/ or Vanya and then meet the other or Maelstrom (Mumbai), Williams gets his check-up (Haven), etc. There're also couple events that are on a timer, but can be triggered by player- race in Miami (Moses or Sierra can be disqualified to end it earlier), meeting between targets in Author (you can trigger bells earlier).

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Back in 3

Screenshot-2021-01-21-13-53-12-397-com-google-android-youtube.jpg

Yay! I hope they add it to the previous games when it's time for the Hitman World of Assassination edition or whatever collection they are planning.

Don't know how it's in 3, but 1 and 2 have several times events. Carusso will have his therapy and detective will contact De Santis after some time (Sapienza), Helmut will meet Dalia in her room (Paris), infection will spread over time (Patient Zero), Kashmirian will try to kill Rangan and/ or Vanya and then meet the other or Maelstrom (Mumbai), Williams gets his check-up (Haven), etc. There're also couple events that are on a timer, but can be triggered by player- race in Miami (Moses or Sierra can be disqualified to end it earlier), meeting between targets in Author (you can trigger bells earlier).
From what I noticed, I have to trigger a few events for the whole thing to get running. So unless I roam around & trigger some, the world is almost practically still. In the older games I could just stand still without moving for the whole time and make multiple opportunities pass. Whatever you are mentioning seem to be the exceptions rather the rule.

Honestly I don't have too much issue with this, it's just that NPCs tend to start the conversation the exact time 47 starts listening, sound suddenly starts playing, sometimes I notice what looks like a frozen npc triggering. I'm not sure how these work in the later games, but I certainly am noticing them in the first.

Last edited:

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Glad to see the coin tricks and gun placements still work. I never mess with mission stories on my first playthroughs of these levels, always go for perfect SA with nothing but disguises and direct kills first. Then go back to hunt everything down.

DemonKing

Arcane
Dubai’s pretty standard stuff by the standard of the last seasons. Berlin & Chongqing look like they’re cut from a different cloth.

I’ve finished the first four missions now. Dubai looks like a million bucks but is clearly a tutorial level. The English manor is nothing special unless you get your kicks out of the retarded investigation angle. Berlin is great - huge and sprawling - one I’ll definitely revisit. Chongqing is also very good but I managed to see just about every nook and cranny on my first run.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Not super sold on these new reflections. They look very nice and don't hit the framerate hard at all. They're the big new thing in the older levels especially. However like RTX reflections I feel like they've gone overboard to show them off. Just did Marakesh and the parking garage's floor is like a mirror. When's the last time you were in a parking garage and the floor looked like a mirror?

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Just downloaded it from the "High Seas", but stopped playing after 5 mins. Without my progression from 1 & 2 and the cheevos locked out whats the point?

Good job IOI you are killing my interest in the franchise and retroactively making me not want to play the previous 2 games now.

So yea, fuck you, you pooh bear cum guzzling assholes.

Ivan

Arcane
Thankful that this means we can be genuinely surprised when they announce the next Hitman trilogy/chapter in a few years
200w.webp

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Got my taste of Dubai, and was very pleased. From what I've seen and played this season is nothin' but high marks across the board with none of the kinks and shortcomings that season 2 had. :incline:

Product fully refunded. Lookin' forward to playing the complete package in a years time, with whatever end-of-life post-online plan they intend to go with. Hopefully one at all.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Just downloaded it from the "High Seas", but stopped playing after 5 mins. Without my progression from 1 & 2 and the cheevos locked out whats the point?

Good job IOI you are killing my interest in the franchise and retroactively making me not want to play the previous 2 games now.

So yea, fuck you, you pooh bear cum guzzling assholes.

Imagine being this emotionally traumatized over having to use a different fucking game store.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom