Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

Gerrard

Arcane
My overall impression is that you should go discuss your autismo mods in the thread that is dedicated to them and not ask for gameplay advice about them in this one.

I'm having trouble with this Chort. Has anyone managed to kill it? There is just too little space to maneuver, and Geralt is often forced into slow animations where he doesn't respond to input yet is vulnerable to hits.
Yeah, that one is a bitch because Geralt just jumps into a very small lair like a chump. Ugh. I think I mass-grapeshoted most of his health away in the end or something like that. It might be possible to cheese the fight as well by jumping outside, then going around back to the ledge in his lair and pump him full of bolts from there.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm having trouble with this Chort. Has anyone managed to kill it? There is just too little space to maneuver, and Geralt is often forced into slow animations where he doesn't respond to input yet is vulnerable to hits.
Yeah, that one is a bitch because Geralt just jumps into a very small lair like a chump. Ugh. I think I mass-grapeshoted most of his health away in the end or something like that. It might be possible to cheese the fight as well by jumping outside, then going around back to the ledge in his lair and pump him full of bolts from there.
It's not possible to jump outside while in combat mode. What makes it worse is that the floor is uneven and it's easy to get yourself cornered. I'll just have to reload and return later possibly. I got a little overconfident after killing the grave hag in "The merry widow".

Not sure if it's EE or if it was that way in vanilla, but you can jump in combat, you just need to be running first. You can even pull your self up if you are not holding a weapon, just tested it and it works like a charm. Don't even have to go around the back then, just stay at the entrance and kill it with a crossbow, bombs, or even igni if it gets close enough. It's cheesy and silly because it can't climb and is stuck there, but then taking it on in the that small cave was a silly thing to do in the first place.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Just finished twitcher 3 for the first time. Mixed feelings, a lot of the game felt like a chore, and pretty unrewarding. Lot of side quests are pretty dumb and just fetching quest. And when quests get a bit more evoluted there is never a coup du theatre, it's always the most linear thing possible.
Itemization is uber bland, levelling up pointless and the levelling system feels pretty bad. Same for alchemy with the just need ingredients once then have the potions forever. Also main plot story is pretty uninteresting and the end felt like a big movie with very little interactions possible (also final fights sucked balls).
Actuallly, to be a bit more honest, the whole story felt great until the first meeting with the crones included (including the Keira Metz quests), which is probably a problem shared with other videogames, first part is much better than the rest of the game.

Heart of stone felt a bit better... but too short, while Blood and wine is even worse than the main game.

Great exploration simulator though. They did a great job with the env.

I did not use mods, but no chance I am replaying this, I wonder about the willpower needed to do it AwesomeButton

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Modern "RPGs" try to do too much at once and hit the dilemma - if we make systems that matter and affect each other, we'll blow the mind of the casual player looking for a mind-numbing experience after work, but if we cut off these systems entirely, then we get criticized for making an "empty game".

Their "solution" to the dilemma is to have token systems that look like they matter but you can ignore them and it makes no difference ingame.

You can find examples in pratically any modern RPG - from the ship combat system in Deadfire (or most of its classes) to initiative in D:OS2 (or its whole combat system) to most systems in Cyberpunk 2077

Atchodas

Augur
Bought this for 9.99 on steam.

Any good mods i should look into?

I remember trying pirate version some time ago and low level witcher was getting his ass kicked by higher level wolves which makes no sense considering you are playing as Witcher... any mods that reworks this?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Modern "RPGs" try to do too much at once and hit the dilemma - if we make systems that matter and affect each other, we'll blow the mind of the casual player looking for a mind-numbing experience after work, but if we cut off these systems entirely, then we get criticized for making an "empty game".

Their "solution" to the dilemma is to have token systems that look like they matter but you can ignore them and it makes no difference ingame.

You can find examples in pratically any modern RPG - from the ship combat system in Deadfire (or most of its classes) to initiative in D:OS2 (or its whole combat system) to most systems in Cyberpunk 2077

If they do that sort of thing, why don't they just have it scale so that the fiddly systems become more and more effective and useful as you push up the difficulty slider? That way, everyone would actually be happy with it - casuals could have their cosmetic version and real CRPG enthusiasts could have another set of balls to juggle with :)

I mean heck, it's already like that with potions and buff potions and that sort of thing. Meaningless at lower levels, precious at higher levels.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Play it vanilla first. Unlike a certain maker of "RPGs", this one does not need any mods to be good.

Depends. Vanilla is fine but there are a bunch of mods that enhance your fun a lot.

Atchodas I'd definitely recommend looking up "Top 10 mods for TW3" or some such and install a couple of them. Maybe even some of the overhaul mods. Not Enhanced Edition, not for your 1st playthrough, but the Ghost Mode is fantastic even for your first run.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

I remember trying pirate version some time ago and low level witcher was getting his ass kicked by higher level wolves which makes no sense considering you are playing as Witcher... any mods that reworks this?

I don't know if it's the same now, but a couple of years ago:-

Ghost Mode = "just like vanilla but better" (you could slap it on from the start quite profitably without even bothering with actual vanilla). Wasteland Ghost was one of the developers of the Long War mod for XCOM, so it's pretty solidly made. Also, not such an extreme or extensive mod that you can't experiment with a few other mods concurrently (although I don't know, this might have changed, there was some feature creep in Ghost Mode by the time I stopped playing TW3).

EE = a complete overhaul of all the systems, in a fairly idioscyncratic way. Personally, though I could see what the developer was getting at, I thought it was pretty horrible and really spoils the game, but YMMV. Not friendly with other mods, already has a few of the more well known ones built in. A few mods make versions for EE though. Basically, if you play the game with this, you'll come out the other end having no idea what TW3 as a game was, but you'll have played something that satisfies some slavic rando's particular obsessions.

Beowulf

Arcane

Get some HD textures, loot clutter reduction or autoloot and remove enemy level scaling. Those won't change the gameplay in a noticeable way (the last one might change it a little, but you'll get rid of the problem you mentioned in your post).
Leave overhauls for the time being. When you finish the prologue you'll know what changes you'd like to see - like more immersive alchemy a'la W1, or some QoL stuff like longer oil duration or item endurance etc, so you can start adding some more mods that you think you need.

Semiurge

Cipher
low level witcher was getting his ass kicked by higher level wolves

There's no reason wolves shouldn't be a force that can take down witchers, I take it you've never seen an actual wolf. It makes sense feeble enemies become powerful in greater numbers.

AwesomeButton

Patron
There's no reason wolves shouldn't be a force that can take down witchers, I take it you've never seen an actual wolf. It makes sense feeble enemies become powerful in greater numbers.
I don't argue against the plausability, but the mod strays too far from the mindset with which the game was designed. Unfortunately you can't reduce the spawns on the map as far as I know.

I ended up leaving my EE playthrough because of how slow gameplay got. When I get the urge again, I guess I'll resume it but tweak the damage numbers a little.

AwesomeButton

Patron
It's the circle of life, and it moves us all.

Why tho, you haven't seen wolves hunting on documentaries before?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom