Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Piranha Bytes appreciation station

kreight

These are the guys (or what's left of them anyway) that created the legendary Gothic. They have a youtube channel and they discuss things there. Videos are in German but some of them have English subtitles.

Youtube channel - https://m.youtube.com/c/PiranhaByte...itct=CDMQ8JMBGAAiEwiV6-W_gKnuAhXHJLIKHbQqCE0=

List of videos with subtitles in English - https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNGeKA7JT_rZ2vlZpYlOHjJz-NVrlc6qZ

Baardhaas

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here
These are the guys (or what's left of them anyway) that created the legendary Gothic. They have a youtube channel and they discuss things there.
It doesn't seem like they discuss anything Gothic related though, just their recent games. Understandable, but some Gothic retrospect would be nice, especially from them. Personally, I don't care much for their releases past Risen (maybe Risen 2).

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm gonna comment because no one else does.

Look, the entire Codex is a Piranha Bytes appreciation thread

Or at least it god damn should be.

Elex is an inferior PB game that dilutes the golden formula with too many bells and whistles that bring the jankiness into even greater relief - but it's fun & worth playing, which is probably testament to how Gothic 1/2 fucking nailed it.

kreight

I'm gonna comment because no one else does.

Look, the entire Codex is a Piranha Bytes appreciation thread

Or at least it god damn should be.

Elex is an inferior PB game that dilutes the golden formula with too many bells and whistles that bring the jankiness into even greater relief - but it's fun & worth playing, which is probably testament to how Gothic 1/2 fucking nailed it.
I don't think it's so much inferior but anyway. Piranha managed to preserve the same spirit of their first games. There are changes sure. But you can't really say the change from Gothic to ELEX is along the same lines as Daggerfall to Skyrim.

Jinn

Arcane
I just might. How accurate is this review?

Worst sseth review I've seen, but he doesn't like PB games in general. See his Gothic 2 review.

Play and judge it for yourself. If you're a fan of Gothic 1&2 and Risen, you'll enjoy it.

Falksi

Arcane
Risen 2 is one of my favourite games from 2012.

The game itself is the usual PB affair, but the humour & banter was fucking brilliant at times.

NerevarineKing

Learned
I feel like Gothic 1/2 and Risen 1 were so amazing that it's hard to make sequels that aren't disappointing to some extent. At least I wanted to finish Risen 2, which I can't say the same thing for Gothic 3. I've heard mixed things about Risen 3, but I'm probably gonna play it and Elex eventually.

Tigranes

Arcane
Risen 2 definitely can feel like a "usual PB affair" when you're desperately fooling yourself into thinking it is because oh god you wish it were true and you just ignore when extremely weird things happen while fighting or you get that creeping feeling that none of the exploration makes sense

That's how I felt, anyway.

Falksi

Arcane
The game itself is the usual PB affair

No it's not. Your love for Risen 2 is baffling.

Janky combat, factions to side with etc. Has PB staples which can be found in most their games.

Nothing baffling about it. The game's funny and fun. Pisses all over Elex. Elex is the same Open World shit, but with boring as fuck dialogue, and not half as many laughs.

JDR13

Arcane
Nothing baffling about it. The game's funny and fun. Pisses all over Elex. Elex is the same Open World shit, but with boring as fuck dialogue, and not half as many laughs.

Depends what you value. Elex destroys Risen 2 when it comes to the world and exploration. I couldn't care less about humor in RPGs.

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
Elex is amazing. Playing as an autistic protagonist is quite a change of pace. Finally a character that I can relate to.

NerevarineKing

Learned
The game itself is the usual PB affair

No it's not. Your love for Risen 2 is baffling.

Janky combat, factions to side with etc. Has PB staples which can be found in most their games.

Calling the two sides you can join "factions" is a bit a stretch. It only affects whether you want voodoo or a big gun.

Guys who made Gothic 1/2 and Risen 1 have my respect. Elex was inferior but still enjoyable.

Risen 2 definitely can feel like a "usual PB affair" when you're desperately fooling yourself into thinking it is because oh god you wish it were true and you just ignore when extremely weird things happen while fighting or you get that creeping feeling that none of the exploration makes sense

That's how I felt, anyway.

Writing is the only really fun thing about Risen 2.

Tigranes

Arcane
Elex is amazing. Playing as an autistic protagonist is quite a change of pace. Finally a character that I can relate to.

Unlike all the other games, where the PC is just your regular sociopathic killer

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You know why open world games are generally shit? Because they are too big and are littered with randomised content to fill up that space. But here comes Gothic 1/2 which have smaller maps, but it's all about perfectly crafted locations and handplaced loot. Thus, Gothic 1 and 2 are two of the best open world games to date.

680x0

Learned
Trying to play Gothic 1 for the 1st time and the controls are hurting me bros. I feel like I am 16 again and learning to like beer (bier.)

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
Trying to play Gothic 1 for the 1st time and the controls are hurting me bros. I feel like I am 16 again and learning to like beer (bier.)
Hang in there dude, once you get used to the controls you'll realize just how amazing they are.

kreight

You already mentioned humor. It's one of the Piranha's trademarks. Shit from Ubisoft, Bethesda etc. doesn't have it.

Recently I played HZD for a bit. That game just doesn't have any humor at all. It's so fucking serious. It's like an super uptight office carrier girl with a stick up her ass who simply doesn't know how to relax.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom