Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Similar games to Age of Decadence?

shizmoo

Literate
Age of Decadence and Alpha Protocol are the best games I've ever played. Are there any other games that come close to the amount of choices and how strongly they change the game?

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
analphabet protoloco, right

none of the mentioned compare to AoD, since no other game is willing to let you "miss" 80% of game content depending on your choices

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Age of Decadence and Alpha Protocol are the best games I've ever played. Are there any other games that come close to the amount of choices and how strongly they change the game?

If you want a branching plot, that is what I tried to do with my game:

It is an amateur project with plenty of flaws and short-comings, to be blunt. The main focus of the game is to explore greek mythology in a way that is authentic to the classical source material. If you think it's priced too high, maybe stick it on your wishlist until Steam's next scheduled sale. There are rules that say I can't put it on sale today.

I'm a big fan of AoD for the same reason you mentioned. It's hard to think of anything similar. Maybe check out Titan Outpost, it has a few different endings and factions to explore, and the theme works well.

Check out Geneforge:

Huge branching story across 5 games, and Steam has them on sale right now for $6. One of the best RPG series of all time and it involves some decent C&C. I would recommend starting with 2, because 1 is being remade by the dev and will re-released soon. 1 is quite independent from the rest of the story, so is 2, so you won't miss much by playing 1 after you complete the others.

Finally, my last suggestion before I log off and go to bed is Pillars of Eternity 2. There are a decent number of factions you can side with and different ways to complete quests, although I guess at this point you may as well just play Baldur's Gate or any of the other AAA RPGs that have multiple factions and different ways of completing quests.

Last edited:

Xeon

Augur
Fallout 1, 2 and FNV
Arcanum
Vampire the Masquerade Bloodline

Fallouts and Arcanum are especially good with C&C.

The first 3 Mass Effects games, major choices matters very little but the little choices carry over to the next games, ME3 kinda ruins it a little but overall pretty good.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
yeah, what a game. and no stupid story to poison that magnificent prestigious D&D tabletop inspired process!
Exactly, I'm glad you understand why Dungeon Rats is better.
As far as AoD's story goes, would have been better without the sci-fi elements, should have just been ancient Rome.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
since no other game is willing to let you "miss" 80% of game content depending on your choices
Panzer General does. You can go Poland - Warsaw - Low Countries - France - Sealion - Barbarossa - Moscow - Washington, which substitutes for less than a quarter of the available maps.

Now, if we talk about RPGs...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom