Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 2: Resurrected remaster

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Most Blizzard leadership left the company, and those that are left are cucks for the chinese, a bunch of cowards that are only after money and a ton of new dipshits like the morons responsible to turn one of the most successful franchises in the world into a bad anime. This company is dead, this remake is just something to provide a good reason for me to laugh about them.

They are not just a different company, they are a shit company now.

Nobody expects nuBlizzard to make good games anymore but for a company with such a ludicrous amount of capital we expect it to be at least professional and be able to shower their products with production values and bling, but they couldn't even do that with their Wacraft 3 remaster. They are literally some piss ass ghetto company now.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Blizzards mostly been mismanaged is all. Gone are the true nerds calling the shots, and in comes the moneymen that has no fucking clue what the fans want, as long as it brings in he moolah.

old news at this point..

Old Blizzard died long ago. In Memoriam.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Most Blizzard leadership left the company, and those that are left are cucks for the chinese, a bunch of cowards that are only after money and a ton of new dipshits like the morons responsible to turn one of the most successful franchises in the world into a bad anime. This company is dead, this remake is just something to provide a good reason for me to laugh about them.

Nobody expects nuBlizzard to make good games anymore but for a company with such a ludicrous amount of capital we expect it to be at least professional and be able to shower their products with production values and bling, but they couldn't even do that with their Wacraft 3 remaster. They are literally some piss ass ghetto company now.
Apparently owners and CEOs of Blizzard have been paying themselves very very generous bonuses and living like kings instead of spending that extra money on new games. That is why they all come out shitty.

Codex Year of the Donut

Apparently owners and CEOs of Blizzard have been paying themselves very very generous bonuses and living like kings instead of spending that extra money on new games. That is why they all come out shitty.
Outside of firing everyone and starting over no amount of money thrown at it would produce good games.
So I'll go with money well spent.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
iu

Who wants to join my "Diablo 2 was never good" fanclub?

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Diablo 1 was definitely darker but that is due to Diablo 2 letting you run around cities, through jungles, deserts, etc. Diablo 2 felt like the world still had hope to me. Mainly because there were so many people around. Diablo 1 felt like these people in this town cannot leave this town or they will be raped to death by monsters. The seclusion and dungeon crawling into Hell meant that it really wore away at your mind over time. You wanted to dive deeper and see what the next level looked like. Your trips to the single town cemented Tristram as the most iconic RPG town in history. So much so they had to halfass throw it into the sequel.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Diablo 1 was darker in tone. Diablo 2 was less horror, more classic fantasy.

I assume this post prompted your comment, however as someone who is playing Diablo II right now this simply isn't true. There is nothing 'classic' about Diablo II subtype of fantasy fiction. Wherever you go there are disemboweled bodies on tables, crucified men and women, boiled limbs sticking out of cauldrons and literal piles of corpses and pools of blood with naked bodies inside.

vwbWC9E.jpg

4avtGNt.jpg

mO7Ripp.png

This is not cherry-picked, it's literally everywhere.

Diablo II is textbook gothic fiction (the themes of horror and death) that happily ventures into bodily horror (mutilations and decay). According to literally critics, 'Fantasy is distinguished from the genres of science fiction and horror by the absence of scientific or macabre themes, respectively'. Diablo II is very, very macabre. Way more macabre than Diablo. Diablo was more... demonic, if anything. Fire and brimstone. I mean see for yourself.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Quite the contrary, the ridiculousness of the settings after Act 1 prevents anyone from thinking it's too moody or dark. It was Super Mario Bros: Diablo Edition.

No, you are just retarded. The various settings which follow Act I are merely death and horror applied to different biomes - desert, jungle and snow worlds, respectively.

Behold ye, the goofy worlds of Super Diablio Bros.

Ppxoemp.png

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Sure but you have to admit one is more depressing due to not having you run through jungles with demon niggers trying to kill you.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
More depressing, sure. Diablo II isn't as depressing as it is macabre and gory.

Diablo 1 felt like these people in this town cannot leave this town or they will be raped to death by monsters.

If you talk with NPCs you'll realize that feeling is well-preserved in the various towns of Diablo II. Lut Gholein (demons pouring out from the Harem), Kurast (magic barrier protecting the city) and Harrogath (city under siege by demons).

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Yeah I get that it is presented that way. I love both games for different reasons. I do wish Diablo 2 was a little more focused and skipped the jungle shit because I always burn out right there.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

I assume this post prompted your comment, however as someone who is playing Diablo II right now this simply isn't true. There is nothing 'classic' about Diablo II subtype of fantasy fiction. Wherever you go there are disemboweled bodies on tables, crucified men and women, boiled limbs sticking out of cauldrons and literal piles of corpses and pools of blood with naked bodies inside.

vwbWC9E.jpg

4avtGNt.jpg

mO7Ripp.png

Diablo II is textbook gothic fiction (the themes of horror and death) that happily ventures into bodily horror (mutilations and decay). According to literally critics, 'Fantasy is distinguished from the genres of science fiction and horror by the absence of scientific or macabre themes, respectively'. Diablo II is very, very macabre. Way more macabre than Diablo. Diablo was more... demonic, if anything. Fire and brimstone. I mean see for yourself.

Maybe you should learn to read:

Dude, i didn't say that Diablo 2 was Baldur's Gate levels of cheerful fantasy, only that it is not as dark as Diablo 1, which it isn't.

Who gives a fuck about corpses, it's still a fact Diablo 2 has a lighter tone relative to the first one.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane

vwbWC9E.jpg

4avtGNt.jpg

mO7Ripp.png

The biggest difference comes from the music, I still love that eerie cathedral music more than ANY other theme, and to this day it sends a slight shiver down my spine, but even the other themes beat out all the others. D2 sounds "tame" by comparison in terms of eeriness. Nothing comes close imho.

Oh and another small detail adding to the atmosphere, you WALK. It makes it feel like your character is extra cautious. Meanwhile the running in D2 certainly speeds things up, but at the expense of suspense.

Pero_Gamechuck

Gamechuck
Developer
Well, I wouldn't mind a remaster actually, but considering their latest endeavor with Warcraft 3, they'd just destroy the memory of once a really good game.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...edly-working-on-a-diablo-2-remake-at-blizzard

Vicarious Visions reportedly working on a Diablo 2 remake at Blizzard

Classy.

News by Wesley Yin-Poole, Deputy Editor

Updated on 23 January 2021
Vicarious Visions is working on the Diablo 2 remake at Blizzard, according to a new report.

Activision confirmed this week that Vicarious Visions, the studio behind the superb Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy and, most recently, the well-received Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2, had been merged into Blizzard after collaborating together "for some time".

Bloomberg (paywall) reports Vicarious Visions has been working with Blizzard since 2020 on the Diablo franchise, including a planned remake of Diablo 2 potentially called Diablo 2: Resurrected.

According to Bloomberg's Jason Schreier, the Diablo 2 remake was due to be developed by Blizzard's Team 1 - the team that made the poorly received Warcraft 3: Reforged. But Blizzard gave the Diablo 2 remake to the team behind Diablo 4 instead, and now a group at Vicarious Visions is also working on it.

As for Team 1, it seems to have been disbanded, with some interviewing for other jobs within Blizzard, and others leaving for independent studios.

Blizzard has yet to announce the Diablo 2 remake (announced Diablo projects include the aforementioned Diablo 4 and mobile game Diablo Immortal. The original launched on PC on 29th June 2000, and quickly shifted millions of copies, setting a record for the fastest-selling computer game ever sold with more than 1m units in the first two weeks.

Diablo 2 improved upon its popular predecessor in many significant ways, and is considered one of, if not the greatest action-role-playing game of all time. It was developed by Blizzard North, the Bay Area division of Blizzard, whose headquarters was - and still is - based in Irvine, southern California. (Blizzard North closed in 2005 amid the troubled development of its take on Diablo 3.)

Monkey Baron

Arbiter
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...edly-working-on-a-diablo-2-remake-at-blizzard

Vicarious Visions reportedly working on a Diablo 2 remake at Blizzard

Classy.

News by Wesley Yin-Poole, Deputy Editor

Updated on 23 January 2021
Vicarious Visions is working on the Diablo 2 remake at Blizzard, according to a new report.

Activision confirmed this week that Vicarious Visions, the studio behind the superb Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy and, most recently, the well-received Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2, had been merged into Blizzard after collaborating together "for some time".

Bloomberg (paywall) reports Vicarious Visions has been working with Blizzard since 2020 on the Diablo franchise, including a planned remake of Diablo 2 potentially called Diablo 2: Resurrected.

According to Bloomberg's Jason Schreier, the Diablo 2 remake was due to be developed by Blizzard's Team 1 - the team that made the poorly received Warcraft 3: Reforged. But Blizzard gave the Diablo 2 remake to the team behind Diablo 4 instead, and now a group at Vicarious Visions is also working on it.

As for Team 1, it seems to have been disbanded, with some interviewing for other jobs within Blizzard, and others leaving for independent studios.

Blizzard has yet to announce the Diablo 2 remake (announced Diablo projects include the aforementioned Diablo 4 and mobile game Diablo Immortal. The original launched on PC on 29th June 2000, and quickly shifted millions of copies, setting a record for the fastest-selling computer game ever sold with more than 1m units in the first two weeks.

Diablo 2 improved upon its popular predecessor in many significant ways, and is considered one of, if not the greatest action-role-playing game of all time. It was developed by Blizzard North, the Bay Area division of Blizzard, whose headquarters was - and still is - based in Irvine, southern California. (Blizzard North closed in 2005 amid the troubled development of its take on Diablo 3.)

This is potentially good news. Not that I had any faith in Blizzard after they managed to crush half a decade of my hype for Diablo 3 in less than an hour of playtime. I've played a bit of THPS 1 + 2 and it looked great. I can't really talk much about gameplay/faithfulness from a personal standpoint, but from what I've been told additions were more to modernize it. I was also told that the Crash remake was really faithful except the physics were a touch worse. Hopefully they continue this level of respect towards older games.

That being said, I was hoping that these rumors would go away. Warcraft reforged was a disaster and I think Diablo 2 is in a perfectly acceptable place right now with QoL mods + overhauls. Starcraft Remastered was done well but it didn't result in a true revival. We don't need a D2 remaster.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom