Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's settle this once and for all: Fallout 2 or Underrail?

Choose wisely

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

supervoid

Self-Ejected
In theory Underrail is more complex (but I felt like game is wasting my time with some mechanics), it has tons of exploration, everything else is ok, but in practice it gets boring pretty fast. I'd rather create new character with some crazy build and fool around the early locations, than finish the game.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Underrail has better underlying mechanics and a decent story. But its a solo crafting game that rewards scrounging for parts and circling through merchants waiting for them to re-spawn their inventories.

FO2 has basic mechanics and a story that goes off the rails from time to time. But it has party mechanics with interesting NPCs that liven up the game and make it seem less repetitive.

Played both games hundreds of hours but I'll take the fun of FO2 over the mechanics of Underrail.

Now if Underrail toned down the crafting and maybe increased the itemization...

oldbonebrown

Arcane
Underrail. It's better (way better, in fact) than Fallout 2 in every area except writing and story, the two least important aspects beyond graphixxx

Having some of the absolute best gore animations in video games is very important.
Fallout 2 looks and sounds awesome, no small thing!

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
In the obvious matter of "something is more than sums of its parts" FO2 win by a lot.

While the underlying mechanics of Underrail is more complex, there are a lot of points in the game where playing feels like a chore. This can probably be attributed to the crafting economy, respawns, backtracking. Besides the initial establishing the setting, the world is not all that interesting too with few characters that are interesting enough.

Fallout 2 is just a much more enjoyable package overall.

Bigger or muh complexity doesn't always make for a better game.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fallout 2 because I was young and impressionable just once.

Underrail made me feel the same again but sadly was not first

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Fallout 2. Underrail has too many mechanics for its own good, and some of them are undercooked. Still a great game, but Fallout 2 is better.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Underrail has better underlying mechanics and a decent story. But its a solo crafting game that rewards scrounging for parts and circling through merchants waiting for them to re-spawn their inventories.

FO2 has basic mechanics and a story that goes off the rails from time to time. But it has party mechanics with interesting NPCs that liven up the game and make it seem less repetitive.
Farming parts in unnecessary on difficulties below Dom and even if you want to do that, you can use trader refresh. Although I do agree that random parts spawn is one of the most annoying elements of the game.

Now, party mechanics in Fallout 2? NPC AI is horrible and because of that for me Fallout 2 is solo game. Now, there's full-party control mods, but with them the game is too easy.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
The discussion would have to break down in what is your preferred type of gameplay (combat-based vs quest-based). Otherwise you could argue that one game is of higher quality than the other. Fallout 2 is not high quality by any means, although it's not mediocre for the most part. Underrail - some are saying that the systems are poor, but I thoroughly disagree. Compared to Fallout it's vastly superior and much more engaging, at any rate. If you remove any consideration about the history of crpg and make these two games stand on their own, I think the results of the comparison aren't obvious at all. Traditionalists will give the point to Fallout of course, but that's only one possible perspective.

jungl

Augur
fallout 2 is more fun. Even combat more interesting you can cripple some dudes with a guns arm and they start punching you or cripple death claw leg and can kite them. Where are the acid pools and radiation in underrail? Underrail could of used more environment hazards.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
fallout 2 is more fun. Even combat more interesting you can cripple some dudes with a guns arm and they start punching you or cripple death claw leg and can kite them. Where are the acid pools and radiation in underrail? Underrail could of used more environment hazards.

Instead of radiation, the game should focus more on environmental hazard caused by mutagens. Radiation doesn't fit the lore of the game, mutagen does. Given that it destroyed much of underrail, there's really not much of it there. You could explain it lore wise, that the molecule doesn't break that easily in sealed caverns etc.

xuerebx

Erudite
While I love both, I spent over 100 hours playing Underrail and loved every minute (maybe except the last segment), and few games keep my attention for that long.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Imagine how Styg would feel getting his game compared to Fallout 2. I suspect he would be immensely flattered by the mere fact his game is game is being compared to one of the best CRPGs ever.

I cannot think of a game in the last 20 years that comes as close as Underrail to recapturing the magic.

Both are way too slow.

Yeah you seem like a FO3 sort of poster.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Fallout 2
  • Great Sound effects
  • Nice enough graphics for the time and i don't think they aged that much
  • Gore death
  • Good quest design
  • Great NPC
  • "Fun" Combat
  • Good itemization
  • Interesting (and not tedious) exploration
  • A lot of secrets
  • Good Character creation and dev
  • Is party-based
  • Mods add full party control
  • Cool crafting which isn't wasting your time
- Bad inventory design
- Combat is fun but not complex enough (fun is better than nothing though)

Underrail

(Didn't go farther than the junkyard location)
  • Average SE
  • Terrible graphics (being revamped, i hear)
  • Terrible itemization
  • Junky crafting
  • Combat could be good if it was party-based but it's not so it's just decent
  • NPC aren't as interesting so far, also graphics and art-style...
  • Character screen looks like shit, character dev is alright, still, inferior to Fallout
  • Isn't party-based
  • Good inventory but items look like shit and the game is throwing a shitload of garbage at you, which turned a strong feature into an mediocre one
  • Crafting feels more like dumpster diving and hoarding a pile of shit, Arcanum did it right, here, all i see is autism
I don't hate Underrail (besides the fact it's not party-based) but it fails at everything it tries to do, i'm not rating quests because i didn't play enough of the game even if i tried at least 3 times, always stopped at the junkyard, last time, i went for the boat trip and fully explored the hot zone for the main quest and that was it.

It could turn into a good game with party based-and and full party control mechanism, a more focused crafting system and a lot of QoL improvements (like items icons)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom