Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Almost done with character creation. The biggest part was making the male/female versions of all the different armors for each race/class combo.

charactercreation_01.gif
Unarmored weapons?

The Avatar

Pseudodragon Studios
Developer
My bad that should be armor proficiencies after weapon proficiencies. And no barbarians for now as I am trying to limit the scope of this project so I can finish it(one man dev team here).

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
6cbpkkp.jpg

I was busy with playing games recently so i didn't work much in my engine the last month or so, but eventually found some will and energy and implemented Quake-style brushes. These are actually entity "elements" (other engines call them "components" or "game objects" but i'm special the name "component" is taken by Free Pascal's framework and "game object" sounds weird to me) meaning that any entity can use them, be part of entity prefabs (when i implement such thing) and have their own transformation (meaning no need to care about texture locking or whatever that some quake editors have to allow for non-world aligned geometry). This actually generates regular scene meshes for the renderer which are treated the same way as any other static mesh so they should... "mesh" fine with non-brush geometry :-P.

Did I ... find the one other person who's writing an engine in Free Pascal?

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Avatar :
I really like the consistent 1px outline look. Though isn't the text a bit tiny? It reminds be of Silverfall which i had to run at 1280x720 (50% my native screen resolution so i get nice crisp 2x2 pixels thanks to integer scaling added in recent GPU drivers) and even then the text felt a bit too small.

Did I ... find the one other person who's writing an engine in Free Pascal?

There are a few of us :-P. I mainly use it because of Lazarus and because it is a decent OOP language with a few nice features that save me some time, but if it wasn't Lazarus (and didn't already know FPC+FCL/LCL) i might have used something else. I did modify the compiler a bit to add a small feature (well, actually, remove a limitation) to make my life a bit easier though so my code doesn't compile with the vanilla FPC out of the box.

Post Apocalyptic Petra, the retro 3D adventure game i made for the MS-DOS game jam last year and since then ported to a bunch of other systems (Windows, Linux, GCW0, Android) and graphics backends (software rendering, OpenGL, OpenGL ES, Direct3D 7) is also written in Free Pascal (this doesn't need my patch and in fact compiles even under older FPC versions that still support Windows 95).

Gastrick

Cipher
I started developing a game about a week ago. I'm doing a first-person adventure(real) game. This was meant to be an easier starting project to test out an experimental visual style(secret for now). I'm just using Unity as an engine to make development faster.

Development log: Unity is annoying to use but I know it's much easier than doing everything from scratch.
Not used to making art and will eventually need to switch to online assets.
I'm deciding whether to use a voice or text, probably text since I'm not a voice-actor.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Saw that tweet and decided to make an attempt at making a crawler using Post Apocalyptic Petra's engine (i made the engine to allow separating the game logic from the engine logic so might as well use that :-P). Here is a quick movement test for that:

Might try to implement some more crawler-like functionality in case i decide to enter the jam. It is only 7 days so if i do i'll need to focus on the game during these days and having the engine ready would help (the rules seem to allow that).

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
It is only 7 days so if i do i'll need to focus on the game during these days and having the engine ready would help (the rules seem to allow that).
I get you, If I enter the jam I'll certainly use my engine as well, I think when you use your own specific engine the line is close between the fixed game systems you will always use because you're not interested in doing anything else on these fronts and the engine itself.

For To Hell With Guns we spent the week creating 95% of the content of the game, all the assets, the maps, all the monsters, 90% of the weapons, but sure for the weapons for example we used some preexisting code, and spinners and such already existed, we just put those on a map, the combat system we just used the one already in place, the stats were arranged in a particular way but what skills actually do in practice was already implemented as well.

This RPG jam was great because I finally dared to share something, and it was important to keep me motivated. Fun fact about To Hell With Guns, the game was rated so hilariously bad during the jam that the game has no sound but it was rated higher in sound than in gameplay, not a big deal but what kept me motivated was rather the comments on the Codex about the game.

I think it's both fair in the sense that we're making a novel game which is just the same kind of games we make, and I think it's nearly what someone who'd pick RPG Maker would do, but also totally unfair compared to someone who simply opens Unity and starts to code. It does not matter that it's a competition only in name and in fact only an opportunity to make games, it's just all the more fun if everybody's using the same rules either way. So yes, in the case I join the jam I will use my engine and plenty of already implemented rules but I understand that the circumstances are not the same for everybody.

Citizen

What's bad about it?

I've been obsessively trying to teach myself 3d sculpting for more than a month already and this the first not too uncanny-valley/alien looking character I've made, it still leaves a lot to be desired tbh but I guess it's progress

How did you make that Citizen ?

Just z-brush, didn't even texture just polypainted skin colors and eyes right on top of the high poly model

Self-Ejected

supervoid

Self-Ejected
Citizen try out this method if you haven't seen it yet:

It worked for me. You should learn realistic face first, then stylised, it's easier this way.
I was sculpting like this after small number of attempts, but I learned anatomy for 2d art, so it was easier than learning everything from the scratch:
sculpt.jpg

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As someone who absolutely has no 3d modelling ability or talent, I wouldn't call your work bad Citizen. If you were going for realistic, then yeah, you're far off. But it looks quite decently stylized. It does look better than most of the mobile games I've seen.

Citizen

Citizen try out this method if you haven't seen it yet:

It worked for me. You should learn realistic face first, then stylised, it's easier this way.
I was sculpting like this after small number of attempts, but I learned anatomy for 2d art, so it was easier than learning everything from the scratch:
sculpt.jpg

Yep that's the realization I had a few days ago, I should make more stuff to learn on it instead of overdoing a single piece. Presentation render btw
0ymJza.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron

I worked a bit more in the engine and refactored the brush support so that it uses a more generic system for generated geometry that tries to optimize the generated mesh. This should also allow for more types of geometry generators like Quake 3-style bezier patches, Doom-style sectors and terrain patches/heightmaps.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
After a few fixes, i got the engine to run on my retro PC with an Athlon 64 X2 and an (AGP) ATI X1950 Pro GPU:

5Bl12pK.png

(the resolution is low because i have this PC attached to a small CRT monitor and at 640x480 the monitor can do 120Hz which feels liquid butter smooth)

As soon as the lights start moving the framerate drops to ~25fps though from all the shadowmap updates, though right now there isn't light culling so all ~240 lights are trying to have their shadowmaps updated all the time. But considering the hardware is almost 15 years old, i think it is nice that it works.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom