Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
Whenever I find something interesting on steam I don't even watch steam videos/screenshots. 90% of the time they are just cinematic trailers and promotional images, many games don't feature actual gameplay videos or even actual in-game screenshots with visible UI, there no reason to read steam store page except for reviews. I instantly alt-tab into youtube and search for raw gameplay video of a game.
That's what the video explain actually...
People don't want to see beautiful scenery and CG, they want to see UI, gameplay, they want to know exactly what kind of game is this and if it's similar to the kind of games they like.
The video also explains that NOBODY reads the long description, and people skim through the short description.

And many other things.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Indie developers underestimate the importance of out of game art in selling and promoting a game.

To exemplify, I'll compare two relatively unknown Metroidvania indies on Steam. One got 211 reviews, the other one got 8 reviews. So one is clearly a total flop, the other one got at least some attention.

This is Citadale The Legends Trilogy:

ss_e7866f603cc8a7e7952f91b3b1d1ddcc44bb2b48.1920x1080.jpg

Look at that beautiful pixel art. The game looks really nice!

BUT here's the image the Steam user is greeted by when browsing the Metroidvania tags:

header.jpg

It's ugly, it's unappealing. It's not representative of the game's art direction. But most importantly it doesn't evoke Castlevania. The character art style, the font on the name, it all screams shitty low effort RPG Maker game.

Now lets have a look at Skautfold Usurper:

ss_28bef1bc0c1493e8577d740b5f1326bb9ae8487c.1920x1080.jpg

Pixel art characters (probably generated from low poly 3D models) are ugly and clash with the background art style. Doesn't look look like Castlevania nearly as much as Citadale.

BUT check out the game's header icon:

header.jpg

You have one look at this and you know what the game is going for. This is Castlevania. It's a Castlevania type game. You like Castlevania? You like SotN? Click HERE.

Which one do you think got 8 reviews and which one got 211? Is the total flop the game that looks just like Castlevania but has a shitty looking header icon or is it the one that has a cool header icon but is a worse looking game?

If the user doesn't click on the header, they won't even see a screenshot.

Usurper has 211 reviews, Citadale just 8.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
PompiPompi you should show what appeals to the audience that would want to buy your game.

I took a quick look at the Steam page you liked and it seems to me like your game is a Mystery Dungeon style roguelike. Now, the first trailer on the page shows character creation, then dialogue with a NPC, then dungeon exploration, then combat. This to me is completely backwards.

The meat of this kind of game is combat, so that is what you should show first. It's the Mystery Dungeon style combat that immediately informs the user what kind of game this is. I would make sure to show 2 or 3 combat moments with different enemies in different levels of the game, making sure to showcase different combat actions (melee, magic, ranged, for example). Then show exploration, then NPC dialogue, then character creation, then more combat to drive home the point.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
Well I was told my game is mostly similar to Mystery Dungeon.
It's a Genre that somehow I wasn't exactly aware of my whole gaming "life".

Here is the image for the Steam Page, how would you suggest to improve it?
header.jpg

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Check these out for a moment.

header.jpg

Protagonist, treasure chest, lava pit, npcs, enemy. It's covering a bunch of game elements.

header.jpg

Two playable characters? Co op? Fantasy setting (sword, strange magic looking jewel). Pixel art logo, probably pixel art game.

header.jpg

Cast of playable characters all get the same screen real estate. Japanese setting. Japanese Artstyle. Japanese name. Weabo magnet right here.

PompiPompi your header has a logo and a dungeon seen in first person, no enemies or protagonist on sight. Add a hero with a sword and a few monsters (skeleton and blob?) behind the logo. Also, the logo doesn't need that much space and doesn't need to be in the middle. It's not like your game has brand recognition, so the name is far less important than the theme (fantasy, dungeon, monsters, sword, magic, etc.).

Momock

Augur
Indie developers underestimate the importance of out of game art in selling and promoting a game.

To exemplify, I'll compare two relatively unknown Metroidvania indies on Steam. One got 211 reviews, the other one got 8 reviews. So one is clearly a total flop, the other one got at least some attention.

This is Citadale The Legends Trilogy:

ss_e7866f603cc8a7e7952f91b3b1d1ddcc44bb2b48.1920x1080.jpg

Look at that beautiful pixel art. The game looks really nice!

BUT here's the image the Steam user is greeted by when browsing the Metroidvania tags:

header.jpg

It's ugly, it's unappealing. It's not representative of the game's art direction. But most importantly it doesn't evoke Castlevania. The character art style, the font on the name, it all screams shitty low effort RPG Maker game.

Now lets have a look at Skautfold Usurper:

ss_28bef1bc0c1493e8577d740b5f1326bb9ae8487c.1920x1080.jpg

Pixel art characters (probably generated from low poly 3D models) are ugly and clash with the background art style. Doesn't look look like Castlevania nearly as much as Citadale.

BUT check out the game's header icon:

header.jpg

You have one look at this and you know what the game is going for. This is Castlevania. It's a Castlevania type game. You like Castlevania? You like SotN? Click HERE.

Which one do you think got 8 reviews and which one got 211? Is the total flop the game that looks just like Castlevania but has a shitty looking header icon or is it the one that has a cool header icon but is a worse looking game?

If the user doesn't click on the header, they won't even see a screenshot.

Usurper has 211 reviews, Citadale just 8.
Usurper looks infinitely better, what did you smoke?

Your point is valid, though, having an appealing header is capital to find an audience on Steam.
But... it's almost like the (probably single dev and not a dedicated) artist who made the shitty graphics of Citadale couldn't make a good image either. So... the image isn't lying about the content.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Ditch the background, or at least add something to it. Maybe a monster in shadows.
I like the logo, but it really screams old-school punk ethos to me. If that's not what you're going for, you might want to change that too.

Pero_Gamechuck

Gamechuck
Developer
I am developing a Steam game called Golden Fall 2. It's an RPG game, with a rogue like battle mechanics.

I am adding more and more content, I am thinking of having 20 levels.
The question is... what should I expose in the trailer and screenshots.

The best parts are also the parts you want to be a surprise to the player.
So how do I choose what to expose the potential player to in the trailer and screenshots?

Do you mind if the important parts are revealed? As you won't remember most of it when reaching that place in the game?
What is a good store page/trailer/screnshots for a game as a player?

I know that as a developer, it might be better to make a sale rather than always 100% pleasing the player, but what do you think an RPG developer should do?

The game I am working on's Steam Page:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1292410/Golden_Fall_2/

Do twitter and reddit.

Make sure you first build your community on twitter. It's a slow and steady process, but it pays-off.

Also, screw screenshots. MAKE SHITLOAD OF GIFS. And post them on a daily basis on twitter. When you get a lot of likes and RTs for a few of them, post those (the best ones) on Reddit.

Ask for feedback, communicate with people and be consistent.

When you have enough feedback on WHAT people love the best about your game, THEN make the first trailer.

just

Liturgist
stir some controversy like including a transgender character whos deranged and kill himself
that will get things going

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am developing a Steam game called Golden Fall 2. It's an RPG game, with a rogue like battle mechanics.

So how do I choose what to expose the potential player to in the trailer and screenshots?

Do you mind if the important parts are revealed? As you won't remember most of it when reaching that place in the game?

I know that as a developer, it might be better to make a sale rather than always 100% pleasing the player, but what do you think an RPG developer should do?

Do twitter and reddit.

Make sure you first build your community on twitter. It's a slow and steady process, but it pays-off.

Also, screw screenshots. MAKE SHITLOAD OF GIFS. And post them on a daily basis on twitter. When you get a lot of likes and RTs for a few of them, post those (the best ones) on Reddit.

When you have enough feedback on WHAT people love the best about your game, THEN make the first trailer.

Pero_Gamechuck

Gamechuck
Developer

Do twitter and reddit.

Yeah. Tags are just a conduit. More wishlists = more visibility from Steam.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom