Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

KVVRR

Learned
I ruled out Int standing for integer because the integer limit for a possible value is way too high in order to be reached in game: https://www.tutorialspoint.com/cplusplus/cpp_data_types.htm (-2147483648 to 2147483647)

And also, the limitation Kev spoke about is a character level limitation, not intelligence limitation.

This gif summarizes everything wrong with developers, not the QA.
Imagine being angry because someone didn't complete something exactly the way you asked but still got to the goal anyways.

Did you seriously complain about this just after praising rdr2 for being impressive at every single level

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
I ruled out Int standing for integer because the integer limit for a possible value is way too high in order to be reached in game: https://www.tutorialspoint.com/cplusplus/cpp_data_types.htm (-2147483648 to 2147483647)

And also, the limitation Kev spoke about is a character level limitation, not intelligence limitation.

Imagine being angry because someone didn't complete something exactly the way you asked but still got to the goal anyways.

Did you seriously complain about this just after praising rdr2 for being impressive at every single level

Open world game where every mission turns into linear scripted sequence where you cant move even few meters away out of your rail or you will fail the mission yep BEST OPEN WORLD GAEM EVA SUPER GOOD USE OF OPEN WORLD.

Zeriel

Arcane
For whatever reason, modern game devs love doing that. Create big open worlds, then make the story completely linear and disconnected from the gameplay, instead of matching it to the format of the game.

Cyberpunk is actually a great example of this disconnect: it would be natural to make the story revolve around gigs and rising up as a mercenary, instead they immediately throw you into an "epic" linear narrative that throws all that out the window, and the thing in the UI that tracks your "legend" status is not determined by how many gigs you complete, or even your systemic street cred level, but specific main story missions that take a few minutes to complete.

It's incredibly ironic that BG2, a linear RPG from two decades ago that wasn't even trying to do an open world game, had a more open chapter 2 in terms of the narrative, where you are given the mission to raise X amount of money by doing whatever content you want. They could have used that format for Cyberpunk and it would have fit the design of the world and setting like a glove, but nope, instead you get forced celebrity cameo, the storyline.

For what it's worth I think this applies to most open world games, the most fun you have in AC Valhalla for instance is when the story is about bettering yourself and your camp, when it goes back to le epic linear narrative it bleeds out.

user

Savant
And I was right about that last 1-month delay being a desperation delay. The game didn't manage to keep me interested. And by the looks of it, it seems it has already been widely forgotten. Let's hope it serves as another cautionary tale, as this will definitely hurt the company, even if the game was largely profitable. Btw where's the RDR2 thread? I thought this was an rpg discussion.
TrumpDisgusting.png

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
While I definitely agree about the nights being too short and that rain could be used more often, rain isn't tied to quests, like you suggest. It's just rare. I had been playing only side content for a long period of time, and rain happened from time to time. If I'd take a guess, they toned that down because of their performance issues. Rain drags that down in most games I know.

You're right but there are quests (and places) which also trigger rain. If you're doing photo mode and want night time rain then that hotel with the Bladerunner easter egg up top will always trigger it. It was possible to glitch it out so it would rain all the time but not tried that yet with 1.1. There are a couple of other weather effects which I'm not sure are glitches or not, because they're so poorly done, there's a yellow fog effect and a red one. They're even rarer than rain and seem to be half-assed attempts to do some sort of pollution smog and sandstorm.

Danikas

Arcane
had a more open chapter 2 in terms of the narrative, where you are given the mission to raise X amount of money by doing whatever content you want
Funny you mention that, main quest mission with panam called Ghost town requires you to pay Rogue 15k to even start it.

Quillon

Arcane
For whatever reason, modern game devs love doing that. Create big open worlds, then make the story completely linear and disconnected from the gameplay, instead of matching it to the format of the game.

this, my biggest gripe with the game. I can understand RDR2 doing it since R* never claimed the game to be an RPG but while expecting more loose narrative from CP77 than Witchers, we got even more linear one. but your average joe is like

-I felt satisfied with the amount of control over V, would’ve preferred a Courier type silent protagonist, but I felt I had a good amount of choices in defining how he felt. Really liked the mission where you could define V’s religious beliefs

they are satisfied with V; a semi-custom character who is even more defined than Geralt. and this is just the character, we all know how linear the story is.

also defining V's religious views doesn't matter, it never comes up later, its effectively your views that the game doesn't care; if something's coming up more than once in the story it is fucking defined, write the world's greatest side quest but if there is no reactivity for it later, your RPG sucks.

Caim

Arcane
Size matters not, it's the density. For example, GTA V has a pretty big map but most of the action takes place in Los Santos and the town where Trevor lives. A number of the other locations are only visited once or twice, and vast swathes of the map including several landmarks including the prison are just... kinda there. Maybe they were expanded upon in GTA Online, but for the main game they're irrelevant.

Zeriel

Arcane
had a more open chapter 2 in terms of the narrative, where you are given the mission to raise X amount of money by doing whatever content you want
Funny you mention that, main quest mission with panam called Ghost town requires you to pay Rogue 15k to even start it.

Yeah, that's a thing they do. But 15k is a joke, you make that much in 20 minutes. Comparing that to BG2 would be more like 300k or something, and even then it's not a good comparison because making money in Cyberpunk is way easier, you can just create it out of air using crafting and vending machine. To be a parallel to BG2 chapter 2, Cyberpunk would have to have an overarching mission that lets you choose to do like a dozen regular missions and then it progresses. But that quest isn't even really an overarching one either, it's just "give me 15k to go to next mission".

typical user

Arbiter
TBH I expected the main story of the game to be like this:

Prolog: For Streetkid you have to deal with guards in the garage, steal the car and then the cops track and catch you. Meet Jackie in the pen. Corpo, Jackie calls a friend, he comes to Lizzie's, points you into some gang hideout to clean it out, once you get back, Arasaka bozos jump you. Didn't play Nomad but it is the most fleshed out intro from all three I've heard. Then have the montage be an actual gameplay. Jackie shows you different bars/clubs in town and the game teaches you these places are where you can find fixers who can give you work - compared to current skype-calls in an age where anyone can trace your phone or fry your brain if you jack-in to breached access-point. Your objective is to earn enough money to move-out from Jackie's place.

Act 1: You start with buying yourself apartment. Your current objective is to increase Street Cred until you get a job from Wakako to rescue Sandra Dorsett. Afterwards you need to again farm for Street Cred until Jackie calls you about Dex asking for your services. You get the spider-bot quest in meat factory. Afterwards you gain access to Afterlife with remaining fixers. Again increase the street cred by doing some jobs for Dex and others in town until DeShawn offers you to be part of the heist crew.

Act 2: Do work for different gangs, do favor or two for Militech, Kang-Tao or whatever to get the crew/intel/disguises for the heist. The game should measure how many gangers you killed from rival groups. How many favors you will get will mean greater chance of succes for the heist.

Act 3: If you succeed with the heist you have to find the chip. If you fail you get Johnny in your head. Either way you will have to find out where Evelyn Parker is and get in touch with Hanako. The city goes into lockdown after the heist, corpo-borgs start patrolling the streets and attack you on sight, all side-content is locked. The finale is to again ask for more favors to assault Arasaka tower and overthrow Yorinobou or blow it up with Johnny. You choose if you stick with the plan or not. Your remaining support and your decisions determine if you and your companions survive or die. I would change the narrative from 'chip is killing you, get it out asap' to 'how much you synchronize with Johnny increases your chance of merging and remembering yourself instead of him taking control permamently'.

Guess that was the initial story for the game. I believe current Act 2 and 3 were supposed to be Silverhand DLC and he was a cliff-hanger for one of the endings where Dex shoots you in the head. The game could easily be about pulling off the heist itself. Also seeing how 'The Hwangbo' glitch with quest-characters following you practically anywhere I gotta ask why Flathead was cut. Maybe someone in CDPR wanted it to be the drone to hack stuff remotely as a netrunner like we currently do in the heist itself. The bot cloaking abilities could explain disappearing or rubber-banding if it got lost from slow path-finding.

EDIT: The Street Cred farming could also leave a room for future DLCs, like put more hand-crafted quests which increase your rep instead of doing copy-pasted get here - kill - exit gigs.

Gerrard

Arcane

People reflexively hating it because of Bethesda are missing out on a good Fallout spinoff that's an actual RPG.

Non-plugin mods work.
It's still better than FO4 because it's an actual RPG.

Slowly went through the entirety of Morgantown to find every holotape and note. Took hours, found 28 in total. Did my typical trick of dropping cheap items(I bring corn/tatos grown from my camp) to remind myself if I've cleared a location or not.

One thing FO76 is sorely missing is a local map feature. No idea why they removed it.

"You're talking ABOUT A GAME in a thread about said game?! How dare you!"
just fucking ignore the thread

How is it pay-2-win if the game throws atoms at you when you do anything?

Still would be better than anything Cain or Boyarsky are capable of creating now.

This is interesting:

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/is-this-why-the-ai-is-bugged.11076569/

The non-existent AI in the game is due to a deliberate choice to use a limited set of packages instead of complex behavior trees. This is the reason why NPCs only react to some actions and in a very predictable manner.
The non-existent AI in the game is due to the fact that the NPCs despawn the moment you turn around. Particle effects don't need AI.

Semiurge

Cipher
While I definitely agree about the nights being too short and that rain could be used more often, rain isn't tied to quests, like you suggest. It's just rare. I had been playing only side content for a long period of time, and rain happened from time to time. If I'd take a guess, they toned that down because of their performance issues. Rain drags that down in most games I know.

Still remember how in Witcher 2 during the Kayran quest Síle summons a lightning storm to get the Kayran's attention? And if you got to its lair during night it would result in a nice tentacle-rapey atmosphere straight from Lovecraft with the rain and darkness.

Are you honestly suggesting starting a new game after every single big patch. Thanx but no thanx I d rather not touch that polish turd ever again. There are plenty of great cyberpunk and/or open world games out there.

I'm suggesting that the least masochistic move would be to wait until all official patches and DLC have been released :smug:

TBH I expected the main story of the game to be like this:

Prolog: For Streetkid you have to deal with guards in the garage, steal the car and then the cops track and catch you. Meet Jackie in the pen. Corpo, Jackie calls a friend, he comes to Lizzie's, points you into some gang hideout to clean it out, once you get back, Arasaka bozos jump you. Didn't play Nomad but it is the most fleshed out intro from all three I've heard. Then have the montage be an actual gameplay. Jackie shows you different bars/clubs in town and the game teaches you these places are where you can find fixers who can give you work - compared to current skype-calls in an age where anyone can trace your phone or fry your brain if you jack-in to breached access-point. Your objective is to earn enough money to move-out from Jackie's place.

Act 1: You start with buying yourself apartment. Your current objective is to increase Street Cred until you get a job from Wakako to rescue Sandra Dorsett. Afterwards you need to again farm for Street Cred until Jackie calls you about Dex asking for your services. You get the spider-bot quest in meat factory. Afterwards you gain access to Afterlife with remaining fixers. Again increase the street cred by doing some jobs for Dex and others in town until DeShawn offers you to be part of the heist crew.

Act 2: Do work for different gangs, do favor or two for Militech, Kang-Tao or whatever to get the crew/intel/disguises for the heist. The game should measure how many gangers you killed from rival groups. How many favors you will get will mean greater chance of succes for the heist.

Act 3: If you succeed with the heist you have to find the chip. If you fail you get Johnny in your head. Either way you will have to find out where Evelyn Parker is and get in touch with Hanako. The city goes into lockdown after the heist, corpo-borgs start patrolling the streets and attack you on sight, all side-content is locked. The finale is to again ask for more favors to assault Arasaka tower and overthrow Yorinobou or blow it up with Johnny. You choose if you stick with the plan or not. Your remaining support and your decisions determine if you and your companions survive or die. I would change the narrative from 'chip is killing you, get it out asap' to 'how much you synchronize with Johnny increases your chance of merging and remembering yourself instead of him taking control permamently'.

Guess that was the initial story for the game. I believe current Act 2 and 3 were supposed to be Silverhand DLC and he was a cliff-hanger for one of the endings where Dex shoots you in the head. The game could easily be about pulling off the heist itself. Also seeing how 'The Hwangbo' glitch with quest-characters following you practically anywhere I gotta ask why Flathead was cut. Maybe someone in CDPR wanted it to be the drone to hack stuff remotely as a netrunner like we currently do in the heist itself. The bot cloaking abilities could explain disappearing or rubber-banding if it got lost from slow path-finding.

EDIT: The Street Cred farming could also leave a room for future DLCs, like put more hand-crafted quests which increase your rep instead of doing copy-pasted get here - kill - exit gigs.

Sounds good, but there's a problem - Johnny Keanu has to be introduced ASAP or casuals lose interest. And so, that's how we got the current quest structure...

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I've said it before: They shot themselves in the foot with the heavily scripted unskippable story missions. There's no way to organically insert additional content in there or really overhaul it for the better. Any future DLC means either using an old save - who the fuck keeps those around for 12+ months? - or trudging through the story again.

KVVRR

Learned
I've said it before: They shot themselves in the foot with the heavily scripted unskippable story missions. There's no way to organically insert additional content in there or really overhaul it for the better. Any future DLC means either using an old save - who the fuck keeps those around for 12+ months? - or trudging through the story again.
don't know if it's any different in console but Steam just keeps your saves in the cloud so even if you uninstall you'll still have them next time you open the game
assuming they don't release a patch that just breaks the old save files lmao

Zeriel

Arcane

I don't get why devs keep insisting on storylines that end with the main character dying or disappearing entirely. It seems so poorly thought out for DLC and sequels, I guess they want to completely start over if they keep doing the franchise? It reminds me of the retardation of Mass Effect 3 where Shepard dies and then the game pops up a message saying "You are a legend for dying! Now wait for DLC in our timewarp back to before you died! Aren't you excited?!"

It's the same reason I argue prequels almost never work very well. Once people know exactly how it ends up, anything new that happens before that known end is meaningless and has zero suspense or interest.

Quillon

Arcane
Feels bad man. Unhinged rockerboy Foltest on crack might have some truth to it.
lea-leonowicz-johnny-silverhand-03.jpg

https://www.artstation.com/lealeo
its the same fucking character without keanu's head ffs,

+foltest stuff turned out fake and what does that even mean you? to anyone? don't remember foltest to be a special character. don't remember him from W1 at all; must have been pretty generic king there, and in W2 he only made a brief appearance saying stuff like "plough this, plough that"...

Codex Year of the Donut

I already said that I didn't like the campaign. I played it as a cowboy simulator, and it's amazing at it.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
After the last patch, the game actually seems to recognize I'm using lethal force to eliminate the cyberpsychos, the messages are a bit different.
Not that I expect it to matter...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom