Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake from Saber Interactive

Dodo1610

Arcane
Hm a reboot to an old Bioware RPG I wonder if there is anyone who would be interested in making such a game
Foto_SwenV_layer-pc-games.jpg
:positive:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Aspyr Media is possibly working on a new Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic game
The studio has brought in a lot of former Bioware Austin employees over the past couple of years, who worked on The Old Republic.

The Austin-based company is now recruiting developers for an unannounced AAA RPG. The project is created on Unreal Engine 4.

The studio also recently released ports of KOTOR to mobile devices and Macs, as well as made console ports for some Star Wars games.

According to the insiders, the game may be either a remake or a reimagining of the first part of the series.

Daniel Hayden, Principal Narrative Designer

41ea96cec9b0c194cb1d03624f65ab0b.png

Courtney Woods, Lead Writer
b8a3d79264deea26aa539e7b894dbccd.png

Jordan Koch, Sr. World Designer

e77538ab23ed22f8a4c89e13b5978e85.png

Andrew Lauretta, Animation Lead
c626b1b39fac0b4b64b762d42f0d60a3.png

Jason Minor, Art Director
0f017beb52bfc2e25227ee2a4af5d72c.png

Paul Marino, Cinematics Lead
37506caf79629487cf2c0d5d44ab8245.png

Jamey Moulton, Sr VFX Lead
de2c6c7a57ea35a8572adf545e5345f9.png

Tully Ackland, Senior Game Designer
8a1ef60626cb6af519134997eff5b76d.png

Bret Hoffman, Principal World Designer
f5e0acf5e2c5ccfb1e302d7d29086ef8.png

dtf

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
So Aspyr is acquired by Embracer (THQ Nordic) via Saber Interactive. Embracer's press release mentions that Aspyr has a major project with "a approximately budget of USD 70 million".

Aspyr has an exciting pipeline and is looking to build on its’ vast catalogue during the next few years as well as to bring out new content based on multiple licensed IP’s. Aspyr currently has several games under development including one major ongoing game development project with a approximately budget of USD 70 million. that is expected to become an important for the entire group. These development projects will engage more than 200 internal and external developers with the core team in Austin, Texas, and will contribute to Embracer’s release slate in the coming years.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
i think someone made a joke that thq nordic is likely behind it and might not even realize it?

Latelistener

Arcane
Damn Bioware is so fucked up that even guys from Austin are leaving.

I actually thought they would be capable of doing a KotOR sequel. Old Republic is an MMO, but it's much better than current Bioware Montreal games.

Wasn't Bioware Austin once trying to get a Kotor 3 greenlit but EA being EA kept saying Nein?

Oh well, where there is a will, there's a way. Away from EA and into the Embrace.
I think that was the story.

I remember they were also working on another game called Shadow Realms back in 2014, but it got canned because of failures of some other similar games and because they had to work on content for Andromeda and Inquisition.

Basically they are treated like a second class citizen with no rights and aren't allowed to jump higher than Montreal. No wonder people started leaving.

Codex Year of the Donut
There's some ironic humor in Bioware being kept alive entirely by Austin through SWTOR and bioware constantly treating Austin like shit and harvesting their personnel for other projects.
If the company wasn't ran by narcissists or retards then they would have reoriented towards Austin rather than away from it.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Given that the KOTOR timeline is already living on in The Old Republic, a single player Knights of the High Republic would be a safer bet.

Seeing how that is turning out I think most of us can live with if a RPG based on that IP is never made.

As for a KOTOR in the Legends EU, seeing as TOR pretty much "closed" the threads of KOTOR 1 & 2 any KOTOR sequel set after 2 but before TOR would basically suffer the same as the Mandalorian does; it may be great on its own but we know that eventually it still will lead to the sequel trilogy.
Whatever developments would happen in this KOTOR 3, none of it would be relevant, or it would have to serve as a prequel to TOR.

My advice is just to start with a different era in the Legends EU such as the New Sith Wars.
Developers and writers wouldn't be tied by the events of KOTOR1-2-TOR or the Lucasfilm movies and have a thousand years of space to set a campaign in.

If these guys would be more daring they could also set a game during the first schism, showing the conflict between the Jedi and the Legions of Lettow, long before there was a Sith Order.
Or the second schism in which the fallen Jedi would eventually be banned to unknown space, encounter the Sith species, and become the first Dark Lords of the Sith.

Codex Year of the Donut
A reason for me to doubt that it will be set in the old republic is that SWTOR is the main old republic product. It is still under active development and is a massive cash cow.
Creating another official old republic product, especially one by a separate developer, will just create headaches. Not to mention that much of the old republic is not officially canon, SWTOR is after all the last surviving continuously published EU material.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
So I guess we are stuck with any High Republic stuff should there be another Star Wars game set centuries before the movies.

Well it is a good thing that I have stopped caring for Star Wars in general.
I tried to recapture a little with it by going through some of my favorite comics, books, and games, but that is a rather futile effort as it more for the sake of nostalgia.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
10m for the game
20m for the marketing
1m for diversity hires
39m to pay for sexual assault and harassment complaints filed by the diversity hires

wahrk

Learned
Just ignore TOR. I don’t know why people think a new KOTOR would be forced to work around it. It’s not Disney canon and as soon as the servers are shut down it’s going in the bin with the rest of the old EU.

If the rumors are true that this is some kind of combined rehash of 1 and 2 then they’re rebooting that entire era anyways. I’d rather they just do something new than dig up that corpse, though.

Codex Year of the Donut
Put Chris Avellone as lead anything on this project, and I'll be interested.
TOR wouldn't be anything near what it is without the heavy influence Avellone had on the writers.
Just ignore TOR.
It makes a lot of money. It's not WoW 2008 money, but it's up there. For the effort needed, it's basically a free money printer. I doubt Disney would want to throw that away.

wahrk

Learned
It makes a lot of money. It's not WoW 2008 money, but it's up there. For the effort needed, it's basically a free money printer. I doubt Disney would want to throw that away.

I didn’t mean they need to shut it down, but I honestly don’t see why they’d need to acknowledge it either way. It’s already in a grey area with regard to current canon as is. Doesn’t make sense to handcuff new releases to TOR’s mess of canon when it’s only going to be relevant as long as the money keeps flowing. I’d imagine anyone still playing in 2021 knows that.

Xelocix

Learned
Why are people so eager for a new KotOR game? It won't be a sequel to KotOR 2 and will be built from Disneys garbage canon as well. A new KotOR game is almost guaranteed to just be a lobotomized remake of KotOR 1, like The Force Awakens was of A New Hope.

Can't we just let KotOR rest in peace?

:prosper:

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Well it is not easy to let go of something you may have cared about for a long time.
I have that myself with a couple of IPs and franchises.

I guess some of us hope Star Wars might get a last hurrah before it goes completely into the deep end with Disney.

But I understand what you mean. We are just setting ourselves up for more disappointments.
I myself would really have liked to have seen one more Jedi Knight game with Kyle Katarn.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom