Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Random Adventure Game News Thread

WallaceChambers

Learned
Looks interesting, I love a detective game that lets you get it wrong. I'm a bit discouraged by the admonition to "Don't leave even one [clue]" ... these environments look really cluttered and hard to read. With a graphic style this deliberately obtuse, I can't imagine I'd have fun clicking every pixel in sight over and over because I can't tell what any of these little blobs are supposed to be. Also, the Steam description reads as written by a non-native English speaker, which is really not encouraging for a game of this type.

So as far as I know right now (only played through one case) you don't need to get everything to progress. You just need to identify the correct culprit. That could change later on but finding all the items is pretty easy since they glow bright blue when you mouse over them. There are some ones that are more obscured, though.

The writing feels natural enough. I'm not getting a bad translation or broken english vibe from the game. Some of the dialogue is weird but you're collecting testimony from furniture so It's weird in a way that makes sense. So far I actually think the game is decently well written. The cop banter is a bit one note but overall it's not bad at all.

Im not 100% sold on the puzzle mechanics. On the first case I had to trial and error the deductions a bit because it felt like there were multiple valid ways to confirm a persons innocence that weren't being recognized.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
https://brocantygames.itch.io/barahir-remake

Barahir's Adventure: Askar's Castle
FJAFUD.png

Barahir was originally released in 1993 for Atari 8-bit only and was only available in Polish[[Barahir's Adventure: Askar's Castle is a remake, developed and released by Brocany Games in 2020 and is available in English for Windows and Linux.");

Barahir is an adventure game; as warrior Barahir you have to sneak into a fortress where your friend, wizard Daeron, is imprisoned, and free him.

yuBwqM.png

The game uses a point & click interface, has a permanent inventory box, an energy indicator and a menu button at the bottom of the screen.

You can be played in 40 different palettes, which you can switch between at anytime while playing the game.

sL7Y8u.gif

During the game you'll encounter castle guards which you can interact with (talk/bribe/fight), you can examine objects in the inventory box or in the game environment, use an object and pick up items you'll find during your adventure.

The player can carry up an unlimited amount of items. Encountered guards can be fought, but each fight saps a little of Barahir's energy; if it runs out, it's a game-over.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
have the following adventure games in my cart, please tell me what's shit:

four last things (if you can comment on his other games go ahead)
argonus and the gods of stone
zof
paradise killer

lightbane

Arcane

Very short, but very funny game. If you like Monty Python, you'll love it. The sequel is just as short, but does have some minor C&C to boot.
No idea about the others.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

Very short, but very funny game. If you like Monty Python, you'll love it. The sequel is just as short, but does have some minor C&C to boot.
No idea about the others.

by sequel I assume you mean procession to cavalry? didn't realize that was a sequel, I thought it was its own thing. I have that wishlisted but wanted to play four last things first and wait for a bigger discount on the new one... have you played The Preposterous Awesomeness of Everything?

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Finished "Dude, where's my beer?", the game about a desperate man using everything with everything to find a pilsner in a city plagued by hipster craft beers. The theme and the humour are spot on, but I wouldn't say it's very good as a game. A minor but recurring gripe is that the UI and general usability are pretty cumbersome - no double-click to instantly enter/swap locations (and you do that a lot), no mousewheel scrolling for the inventory, etc.

The bigger problem is the overall puzzle design. For like half if not even 3/4 of the game, it just lacks "objectives" for you to accomplish, for lack of a better word. There are a few bits and places that look like obvious things to do, but they are "story-locked" and don't become available/interactive until much later, and often for no real good reason too. So you just walk around looking for things to do, using everything with everything until something finally clicks. Lots and lots of red herrings all around the place as well which only increases the confusion. And unsurprisingly, when you finally get a clear chain of "goals" closer to the end, suddenly it starts to go swimmingly (mostly because you finally get to do the things that you'd figured out long before but weren't allowed to), while before that I got stumped in more than one place.

Some of the puzzles are also pretty ass-backwards. There's a guy dressed as a football mascot. Every now and again he lifts his mask and shows that he's hot from standing in the sun in his suit. You offer him a beer, he declines without a word, and protag says 'maybe it's not refreshing enough?' As fate would have it, there's an ice box nearby. But... you can't just put the beer there and give it to him. You first have to get an empty glass from a cafe (which only opens after enough ~in-game time~ has passed), put THE GLASS into the ice box, and THEN pour the beer into the cold glass. Turns out the dude still doesn't take it, and he still won't say why. So you have to put a banana in the beer... which gives you a smoothie. Now he accepts it, and says he couldn't take the beer because he can't drink at work. Hurrrrrrrrrrrr.

Still. Somewhat recommended for beer enthusiasts because the game's message might speak to the bottom of your very soul, but I dunno if I'd recommend it to anyone else.

lightbane

Arcane
by sequel I assume you mean procession to cavalry? didn't realize that was a sequel, I thought it was its own thing

It doesn't say that it's a sequel, buut you meet the protagonist of the first game in the first 30 seconds of the game or so as a NPC, so technically it is.

have you played The Preposterous Awesomeness of Everything?

Read the reviews, very short (as their other games), somewhat hipstery and unfunny, no idea if it's true or not. It has lower scores compared to the other two I mentioned. I suppose their first project, allegedly an experimental one, wasn't as successful, but they learned from their mistakes. Procession to Cavalry has an awesome easter egg that's an excellent dig at Kickstarter games including the faces of backers in-game, who are invariably horrid people.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
It doesn't say that it's a sequel, buut you meet the protagonist of the first game in the first 30 seconds of the game or so as a NPC, so technically it is.

Read the reviews, very short (as their other games), somewhat hipstery and unfunny, no idea if it's true or not. It has lower scores compared to the other two I mentioned. I suppose their first project, allegedly an experimental one, wasn't as successful, but they learned from their mistakes. Procession to Cavalry has an awesome easter egg that's an excellent dig at Kickstarter games including the faces of backers in-game, who are invariably horrid people.

I ended up grabbing it (preposterous) and enjoyed it.. The art style is off putting but the humor is very good and full of satire and absurdity. Lots of political satire mocking democracy and normies.. not sure if I'd call it hipstery tbqh, the only thing I thought was kind of a miss was the use of the verb system from Lucasarts games, it wasn't really fully utilized... I'd recommend it if you enjoyed the other games, though it does feel more like an experiment (and it says as much in the game)

I just started Four Last Things and feel the interface works better for what the game is doing.. Also there was a kickstarter backer in-game joke in that, as well.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Also there was a kickstarter backer in-game joke in that, as well.
Can you remind me what it was? If there's one, it is not as big as the sequel, which is quite hilarious.
just one of the groups of people by where you can commit sloth, just a few comments when you examine/talk to them about the need for them to stick their likeness in games even if it doesn't fit, nothing big and you wouldn't even notice anything unless you clicked on them

edit: wanted to say another thing about preposterous that I enjoyed was it had several death states with long texts that were completely absurd and felt like douglas adams style..

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

ss_b30ca50b8079ac0baf01c6d1ed382c38bd77ac40.600x338.jpg
ss_f77fc944140fa6c9616cde6d466f9457ca59fa6a.600x338.jpg

Tonight is the night! Next door at the spooky mansion, the hottest girls in Blueball Falls are throwing the hottest and sexiest party in history!

Enter Jerry Wanker or at least he’d like to enter. Considered the dillweed of town, Jerry didn’t get invited. Now he’s far from a badass, but his theoretical knowledge about sex is as broad as his cunning. He’ll need that, his wits, a sense of humor and the outside-the-box thinking to outsmart the lugheads and scrubs keeping him from his goal. A hot date with at least one of the lovely gals at the party!

Jerry Wanker and the Quest to get Laid! is a nostalgic successor to some of the best when it comes to naughty Point and Click Adventures! Unlock the hidden path to get with the fairer sex in the newest game made by the creators of Perky Little Things! Beyond an amazing handcrafted 2D world, you’ll find familiar characters, fun banter and plenty of lusty times in this fresh and saucy tale.

But never forget. Only with your help does Jerry stand a chance to achieve his goal. Don’t leave him hanging!

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

ss_b30ca50b8079ac0baf01c6d1ed382c38bd77ac40.600x338.jpg
ss_f77fc944140fa6c9616cde6d466f9457ca59fa6a.600x338.jpg

Tonight is the night! Next door at the spooky mansion, the hottest girls in Blueball Falls are throwing the hottest and sexiest party in history!

Enter Jerry Wanker or at least he’d like to enter. Considered the dillweed of town, Jerry didn’t get invited. Now he’s far from a badass, but his theoretical knowledge about sex is as broad as his cunning. He’ll need that, his wits, a sense of humor and the outside-the-box thinking to outsmart the lugheads and scrubs keeping him from his goal. A hot date with at least one of the lovely gals at the party!

Jerry Wanker and the Quest to get Laid! is a nostalgic successor to some of the best when it comes to naughty Point and Click Adventures! Unlock the hidden path to get with the fairer sex in the newest game made by the creators of Perky Little Things! Beyond an amazing handcrafted 2D world, you’ll find familiar characters, fun banter and plenty of lusty times in this fresh and saucy tale.

But never forget. Only with your help does Jerry stand a chance to achieve his goal. Don’t leave him hanging!

Jesus...

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Why in the actual fuck is that going to be released in 2022? Did they just make the bare minimum of assets they needed to make a Steam page and absolutely nothing else? Why is some crappy LSL ripoff so confusing to me?

Maxie

Calm down son this subforum doesn't do indignant anger
Yes setting up a Steam page ages is advance is standard practice even in this genre (Tideshell being the most recent example)

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong

SQ4 running with 'high-res' ERGSAN upscaled backgrounds

Space Quest 4 running in a special fork of ScummVM called ScummVM-X created by Myles Johnston that allows 4x high resolution art asset replacements for SCI engine games. This is a quick test with my ESRGAN w/Manga109 dataset model background upscales but sprites are also replaceable. Current issues are cursors are not yet replaceable, no colour cycling, and no alpha-blended transparency (basically only allows 1-bit ie:- on and off). AGI support is also planned.

Last edited:

Neuromancer

Augur
For me, this looks way too much like comic graphic.

While of course Space Quest in general is a humorous adventure series (and this part is no exception), the fourth part stood out especially for its partly realistic graphics (with the technology possible at that time).
Yes, some areas - like the Galaxy Gallery mall - looked silly on purpose, but other areas had a much darker and more realistic look.

Especially the beginning area (which is also the ending area) gave a kind of Alien vibe.
This is totally lost in this upscaled version.

They probably fed the algorithm with the terrible graphics from part 6, which featured a completely different graphic style.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom