Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Something I noticed

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
so I was browsing rpgcodex and at the bottom I noticed some feature

i.gif

is this added by rpgcodex or something else?

Unwanted

Abracadabra

Unwanted
If this isn't a great argument in favor of using a VPN I don't know what is. If this geodata is accurate it makes it very easy to doxx people if you know their general location.

For example, you, poster from Romania who is in Bucharest and on Aleea Postavarul, you might want to get an VPN since there aren't many Romanians around.

Or the Greek guy in Άγιος Δημήτριος Αττικής, can I interest you in a VPN offer before you are unpersoned for association with undesirables?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
It's been on the front page since forever.

Given so few actually visit the front page, I figured it was time to put it in the forums where it'll show a true reflection of who's visiting the Codex.

Unwanted

Abracadabra

Unwanted
Given so few actually visit the front page, I figured it was time to put it in the forums where it'll show a true reflection of who's visiting the Codex.
Isn't this a huge privacy issue? I saw some Chinese posters exposed that were rawdogging the Codex. I know you can collect that data directly, but this is easily accessible by the general public and a bit different.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Isn't this a huge privacy issue? I saw some Chinese posters exposed that were rawdogging the Codex. I know you can collect that data directly, but this is easily accessible by the general public and a bit different.
:notsureifserious:

It only shows country and city. Even that's not accurate (depends on your ISP location). And it only shows the last 50, which is basically a 5 minute span. I suppose you could sit there and harvest the info, but again, all you get is city. You now have to match it with specific users.

And you have to keep in mind, this is logging every guest. Not just logged in, registered users.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

It only shows country and city. Even that's not accurate (depends on your ISP location). And it only shows the last 50, which is basically a 5 minute span. I suppose you could sit there and harvest the info, but again, all you get is city. You now have to match it with specific users.

And you have to keep in mind, this is logging every guest. Not just logged in, registered users.

Why are surprised that codexers are paranoid

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Come on everyone, it's clear that DU just wants to sell us all to the Biden police. Accept your new lord and savior, and avoid your imminent imprisonment:

JesusJoeBiden.png

The Red Knight

Erudite
If this isn't a great argument in favor of using a VPN I don't know what is. If this geodata is accurate it makes it very easy to doxx people if you know their general location.

For example, you, poster from Romania who is in Bucharest and on Aleea Postavarul, you might want to get an VPN since there aren't many Romanians around.

Or the Greek guy in Άγιος Δημήτριος Αττικής, can I interest you in a VPN offer before you are unpersoned for association with undesirables?
Unless you live in an overcivilized country like the US or actually happen to be in the listed city, the actual location of the user may be completely off (like some town 100+ km away) and it is likely merely where the ISP is (trading unused IPs between ISPs from different countries reportedly is also a thing, and you can find reports online of people getting triggered over some local online service that blanket-bans foreigners assuming their location). Browser/OS user agent header data is probably valid for an average user, though, if you can find uses for it.

On the other hand, if you search for anything on google, it even tries to track what screen resolution you use.

edit: Oh, codex tracks resolution too? Nice.

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
At least now we know that we have at least one gay German codexer:

imqK4K2.png

And that Brexit hit England so bad that they are now using internet explorer:

A5oxpLo.png

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Honestly, this is hilarious:

lZjVaf3.png

One out of ten queries is about trannies, one out of ten is about weeb stuff, and people can't wait to finally explore the Temple of Alvilmelkedic with their CRUSHMASTER. Then I guess lukaszek will be happy about Gorasul.

Semiurge

Cipher

Out of all tracking domains you had to choose the most malicious.

Do not visit it directly without your e-rubbers on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom