Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Why I fell out of love with KOTOR

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pretty much.

Risewild

Arbiter
I've been lurking in my thread and others for a few weeks now just to get a feel for this place. I definitely expected the TL;DR responses but I didn't really expect all the rest. Is it normal here for people to go on weird basically off topic shitflinging duels? Or to just completely ignore what's in the OP and drop your own opinion about the topic?
Yes, it's normal.

Welcome to the Codex.

If you don't help the man she is also unhappy and belittles you for being cruel.

Well this just further cements my opinion that she's an insanely over-hyped character then.

He has a kinda Socratic approach in her teaching. You know ,challenging people for the sole sake of philosophical inquiry.

I think she is more interested in why people do things they do and what the consequences are rather than if what they believe is true.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I think she needs another editing pass and like whole game suffers from messed production - Atris was supposed to be main villain, but they changed it, and it shows in the flow of dialogue. There was even a redemption ark in game for Kreia, unused.
The dialogue where you can only be either goody or dumbevil is crap regardless of any subversion, and so is bluered meter. My guess that mca could have been cynical enough to force player into this choice to then belittle them and make a comment on bad dual good/evil choices in dialogues in such a way, including kotor1; but that approach is too cynical and takes away players freedom to make choices and I don't like it.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
I've never understood the love for KotOR to begin with. Take away the Star Wars trappings and it's an average game at best. Compared to Bioware's earlier stuff, it's undeniable decline.

The biggest problem is that it was designed around the hardware limitations of the original Xbox. Those limitations permeate every aspect of its design outside of the writing.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
He has a kinda Socratic approach in her teaching. You know ,challenging people for the sole sake of philosophical inquiry.

I think she is more interested in why people do things they do and what the consequences are rather than if what they believe is true.

I guess my reaction there was because challenging the player no matter what seems more simplistic than I expected. I'm not saying she's written poorly at all though. She's written very well, and your explanation is a good one. People just act like she's written so amazingly well it's worth playing an otherwise mediocre game for, and I don't think that's true.

I guess my reaction there was because challenging the player no matter what seems more simplistic than I expected. I'm not saying she's written poorly at all though. She's written very well, and your explanation is a good one. People just act like she's written so amazingly well it's worth playing an otherwise mediocre game for, and I don't think that's true.

I think that arguing if something is merely very good or amazing is meaningless, we are really far into field of subjectivity here. Using simplistic tactics like challenging player no matter what is not a problem in itself. Every good story consist of many simplistic elements that are just executed well.

Codex Year of the Donut
I've never understood the love for KotOR to begin with. Take away the Star Wars trappings and it's an average game at best. Compared to Bioware's earlier stuff, it's undeniable decline.

The biggest problem is that it was designed around the hardware limitations of the original Xbox. Those limitations permeate every aspect of its design outside of the writing.
star wars RPG naturally lends itself to having a lot of C&C by having to support both light side and dark side approaches
avellone's influence on KOTOR2(his hatred of a strict light side/dark side split, favor of a gray jedi) was good too, and it heavily influenced SWTOR writing e.g., one of the most highly rated class stories is the light-side sith warrior who is more like an honorable duty-bound knight or samurai

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yes the Jade Empire is more fun KOTOR game than Kotor is, more interesting setting, story, some karate and two hot waifus to romance, lost any interest in Star Wars after prequels really it always was a space opera for Kwan children with only very few things like Thrawn and Chiss or Fell Empire rearmament being above this carthoonish eighties Reagan rebels good empire bad morality. And now they scrapped legends and replaced it with utter poz, frack this game and setting, even Mandalore is now that great its just bit better than sequels are.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom