Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen - Chaos Chronicles reborn and dead again

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
How did they drop him? From what?
He was working as a developer for Ceres Games on Realms Beyond, that's why at the beginning of this thread he talks about the company using the first person:

Since we're not creating pre-rendered 3D environments but instead create levels with a nice level editor that has quite a few varied assets in it, we can certainly afford this level of detail throughout. A good level designer can plop out a level of this detail in an hour or less for a screenshot like this. We're also going to create a couple more assets during development for more environment variety. Even if, towards the end of development, we run into time constraints, it will only take a few minutes to plop down some more environment assets into half-finished levels to give them a little more visual detail.

Then some random lich dug up something edgy he posted somewhere here on the Codex (probably some foot fetish stuff, knowing the guy), and to avoid future public outrages (you know how dangerous it is to be a foot fetishist in the current political climate) JF and Ceres Games parted ways. I don't know the motives behind the lich's actions (liches are creature of inhumane and unfathomable intelligence), but despite the low blow (I guess JF really liked that job, since he seems to be into RPGs almost as much as he is into feet) they seem to be on friendly terms now.

Mortmal

Arcane
With comments like that, my friend, we could do with a Fabulously Pessimistic rating. :D
The same guys already tried to make the same game before and failed spectacularly.

Then they come up asking for money for an even bigger project with even bigger promises.

Knowing that this was going nowhere from the start is not being pessimistic, but being rational. And thinking that this was going somewhere is not being optimistic, but gullible. They tricked me with the combat beta, but I am in fact very optimistic and easy to fool.
Gullible maybe, but you know what , judges tend to punish people who trick gullible people . That will end up in a lawsuit . Reading the discord, they are even more incompetent than i thought , they had a publisher and rejected it and their management is some sort of circus clown...

:Flash:

Arcane
Tharagavverug Today at 20:36 said:
Wait and see. We're not dead. We have backup plans. But we can't do anything until we hear from our guy running the business.
98c.png

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
The drama is funny and shit, but come on, no sane person would stop development when they have progressed so far.

Maybe it'll take a few years to finish single handedly, but it will be finished, so relax your butt and let Realm Beyond's dick back in. It's like one of the two or three RPGs I plan to install at all in the next 10 years. It will probably suck, but it at least looks good for now.

almondblight

Arcane
One thing that gets me is the "of course we didn't have enough money!" line, but they went ahead and spent money on convention booths? Same thing happened with Barkley 2.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
At least one Commie, a Nazi and a bunch of Modern Germans(tm) who are totally none of the former, nosiree... Inexplicably trying to work together to make a videogame...
Even better, doing all this in a country with a high-ish cost of living, low-ish, eternally stagnant wages, super high taxes and a largely dead gamedev scene... With peanuts for funding.

I don't know guys, how did this go so very wrong? Just bad luck, I guess.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
could we say its jarlfranks fault the game flopped?

Crispy's fault the game flopped since he started the ball rolling for JF being removed from Ceres.

I could see this. Look, I’m all for helping retarded people find productive outlets for their interests and energies but when they start fucking up mission critical shit that’s where you’ve gotta draw the line.

Lich LARPing doesn’t make you mod of the whole world, and that goes double for toons with 7 INT.

Desiderius

Patron
One thing that gets me is the "of course we didn't have enough money!" line, but they went ahead and spent money on convention booths? Same thing happened with Barkley 2.

Convention booths are harder than they look.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
2.) I "left" the codex last year or so because I was sick of being permanently harrassed in almost every thread/topic by so called Alt-Rights/Trumpists/Neo Nazis. I am fine with those attacks in political threads, but those guys even attacked me (and my project) in threads related to RPGs and my game which made this place way too toxic for me.

https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-40642.html

Hahahahaha

Desiderius

Patron
Archangel in that thread doing work as usual. Nobody better.

We have (at least) a generation that has no earthly idea how to deal with passive aggression. How on earth are they supposed to deal with their wives?

Maybe that’s the point.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The drama is funny and shit, but come on, no sane person would stop development when they have progressed so far.

Maybe it'll take a few years to finish single handedly, but it will be finished, so relax your butt and let Realm Beyond's dick back in. It's like one of the two or three RPGs I plan to install at all in the next 10 years. It will probably suck, but it at least looks good for now.
Will it be better or worse than Chaos Chronicles?

Sherry

Arcane
Hi.

gosh. Gosh! GOSH!

This is not good news okay? Do you understand the ramifications this is going to have on the RPG Community, okay? OKAY! Do you want more Cyperpunk 2088 and WastedLands?? No updates, no discussion on Discord with the development team means that it is time for the one person who was designing the Lich and its dungeon, to step forward and pick up the pieces and safe this project because it was one of those I was truly looking forward to as it has that Pillars of Eternity and DEAFDFIRE feel and to simply throw your hands into the air and give up!!!

josh. Josh! JOSH! can step up and get this game cleaned up for the low price of $2,500 that he paid to design the Lich dungeon you owe him at least a job offer okay? OKAY?!

Without Realms Beyond I will be unable to vote for Codex Game of the Year 2021. :(

Please hire the only Captain who can turn this ship around and out of the archipelago and toward the Realms Beyond!

Thanks,
Sherry

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Lich LARPing doesn’t make you mod of the whole world, and that goes double for toons with 7 INT.

Except the sum total of everything I had to say about this game and JarlFrank's involvement with it can be found in this exact thread. Here on Codex.

Don't blame the lich.

Basically, the question is whether Silver Coin, etc. would've brought it up if you hadn't stirred the pot to begin with. Your comments were a week or so before any drama started. I think everyone knows you're a traitor to the Codex!

:mob:

Even if the question you asked was legitimate, but maybe better posed as a PM.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dev lamented how they hoped for 200k instead of 120k. Except they got more then 200k (thanks to Merkel's generousity and promise to portray orc rape gangs in respectful way towards migrating orcs)

120k€ (from Kickstarter)
100k€ (from RPG Mutti Merkel)
=220k€
But spent (more then 8months ago). On what?
The guy said they hoped to get at least 200k from Kickstarter, but they would still have needed external funding on top of that.

Jeez, poor souls. There's no way they could have communicated that better to their customers. It's not like in every Kickstarter page there's a RISK AND CHALLENGES section, where they basically said "Yeah, we are sure about this, trust us! At worst we will delay the release a bit!".

As always, rusty_shackleford was right: videogame developers are the worst. I still think they are a cut above journalists, but I'm starting to doubt even that.

the risk and challenge section is quite funny

We have achieved quite a bit in the last two years: The rendering engine, the game systems, and all the required content tools are working. Most of the art assets have been created and implemented. We already have more than 800 items and 2,100 environment objects in the game, but we want to include much more.
We're nearly done, pinky swear!

Desiderius

Patron

Except the sum total of everything I had to say about this game and JarlFrank's involvement with it can be found in this exact thread. Here on Codex.

Don't blame the lich.

Alright, alright, alright. I’ll check it out. Which is more than you did for me, let it not go unsaid.

Somebody give me a page number.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom