Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
tfw you take a look at RPGCodex and you find out that some WIP background quests that should have never made it into the patch are actually available to the players :(
For what it's worth, it only gave me the intro cinematic, and created the quest log entry and quest NPC near the mayor of Caer Ceflyn, but I wasn't able to interact with him.
It's cool that you guys are planning to implement more background-related stuff though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.solasta-game.com/news/114-dev-update-27-whats-cooking-beyond-wizards-tower

DEV UPDATE #27 - WHAT'S COOKING BEYOND WIZARD'S TOWER?

Hey there folks!

With all the recent patch notes and other articles about community feedback and bug fixing, we haven't been showing you a lot of new stuff lately. This is something we intend to fix... today, now, this very round! In fact, stop whatever you're doing and roll initiative, we're getting right down to business!

KXazhfcwVa4Ie4MqytggNlG3KYKDDxO6v9tKeE2j.jpeg

... But first, here's our weekly cat allowance.

Fire in the Hole!

You know it, we know it, the adventure does not end at the Wizard's Tower. Your party will be going ever deeper into the Badlands, entering orc territory next. Now, there are tons of things we'd love to share with you - but we also do not wish to spoil everything, which is why you'll have to make do with a few pictures for now!

9CErHmKnYVute4dXQ3HCnofdnckafu20ct5UF0PL.jpeg

Step forward brave adventurers, and enter our lair...

WP13xQxieMUwIFy2jDH094EburMEWeRvj0lOmZCR.jpeg

Hope you don't mind the heat! Oh and watch your footing, or pray you succeed your Dexterity saving throw.

UKVOWGNvAm1fhdDS92PZjPHOS6MrGHbcdC6XK3rM.jpeg

Welcome home, such as it is. This squalid hamlet, these corrupted lands... wait wrong game I'm being told.

WQOxiXYcse12maBSvcuIhT2EJdG9NgoQRRi6ERWd.png

"But what will it look like in-game?" I hear you asking. Well ask no more, that right there is a screenshot.

Preparing a New Batch of Monsters

Goblins and Ghosts, Ghosts 'n Goblins... I'm sure you want some new foes to face by now, right? This is why we've been hard at work on a new monster... the female orc!

fDvht1WyLzcPY6EevP2oLt1SyVs1sxQV14uRZjpT.png

What's better than orcs? More orcs!

Alright alright lower your pitchforks, sheesh! Guess that's what I get for dumping Charisma, can't roll a good Performance check to save my life. Jokes aside, we now have female orcs ready to go for when your party meets the orc tribes later during the campaign. And let me tell you, if you expect orcs to simply be savage monsters, you'll be in for a shock.

K6m82MvCoFA5gFEMF9fR6us1CrzXalz9OJtWMvSw.png

Storm, Earth and Fire, heed my call!

Without any transition, give a warm welcome to our new elemental friends! Wait... what's that? Sorry, I'm being told they might not be as friendly as I first expected. Fighting might occur, deadly injuries might ensue - consider yourself warned.

VgcvovzkrPXx0EohdZmCtykpC85LIsSKFWVFOZpm.png

What's 40 feet long, CR 11 and devours adventurers for breakfast?

If you answered "Remorhaz", you are correct! Everyone else go back to studying the Monster Manual, it will be on the next test so pay attention during class. This mighty beast was introduced to Solasta by the community during our Kickstarter campaign, and will take a lot of preparation to take down. Able to swallow its target whole with a simple bite, the Remorhaz has spelled the end of many would-be heroes.

7FhXWdMvXiazs9EsOgWDVBv32Vvu9zi19qUEv4C8.png

Giant beetles? Were giant spiders not enough?

For those who joined the Solastan community recently, you might be a little confused by the picture above. Giant beetles? What are those? Well, say hello to your spellcasters' new nightmare: the Redeemers. These gigantic insects, originally created by the old elven empire, thrived in the Badlands in the absence of their former masters - and they have evolved in some of the worst way possible.

My Tailor is Rich!

For our non-French friends, know that for some reason this was one of the first english sentence we would be taught back in the old days. And yes, it served as much as you would expect (hint: as much as a barbarian dip in a high level wizard build). Anyway, lore dump aside we have good news for you. Our magic armours are now looking better than ever, which will distinguish them from their regular counterpart!

2hVcGwOj6GeA5bJqp7JlMQvoI7PTXY6B4V0aRvmq.png

Now you can slay while looking dapper! No, that does not mean I'm giving you a bonus in Charisma for free though.

Putting That Code to Work

While our Art team produces most of what we usually show in our Dev Updates, it's good to remember that our programmers are still hard at work. We've recently implemented quite a few improvements, such as preventing different characters from stacking onto one another while exploring or having characters orient themselves towards their enemy when taking a hit. That being said, one of the biggest improvements we're currently adding to the game are difficulty options. We've been talking about it for quite some time, but we've just now implemented it in-game - see for yourself! We'll go into more details in a future article about everything you can switch on and off in those settings.

lS0UX5Tsuuz0mfOhIBk3CBH9SKdLx09j5qYbXvLQ.gif

What options do you want? All of them. You get to pick and choose what you want.

A Few Spells for the Road?

It's been quite some time since we shared some new spells, hasn't it? Those were good times. So good in fact that I've got some available to go around.

CHbASrt2sQdPQ0y4nJ0AE6v33KbsK8MiEa7dWhnY.gif

Grease, 1st level conjuration spell

kMReo5IqqHXgUEKwYRhwIqyrdUBX5yBgwY4Y2LUr.gif

Silence, 2nd level illusion spell

len8gb4YzPoZFLd9qnI7B8GvvK5meGMOsPjaUa3h.gif

Sleet Storm, 3rd level conjuration spell

Alright folks, this is the end for today! Thank you for reading, and don't hesitate to drop by our Forums or our Discord Server.

Takamori

Learned
How is the current state of the game? Reading the review I saw many complaints about bugs and stability, still the issue?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well shit. Maybe Lacrymas does have a point about their budget management skills being questionable.
Well, duh. Most people can't even tell the difference between good samples and an actual orchestra nowadays in this type of background/soundtrack music. But I guess a real orchestra is more important than more classes.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Well, duh. Most people can't even tell the difference between good samples and an actual orchestra nowadays in these types of background/soundtrack music. But I guess a real orchestra is more important than more classes.

Maybe they got a Covid deal from a slavic orchestra out of a job?
Don't be so mean.

:excellent:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
In some way it is an investment that probably will or most likely won't payoff

It doesn't matter that the player can't actually differentiate of machine mixed or actual orchestral music. But you can slap ORCHESTRAL MUSIC as promotional material which makes the game feel more expensive that it actually is.

ekrolo2

Learned
Well shit. Maybe Lacrymas does have a point about their budget management skills being questionable.
Well, duh. Most people can't even tell the difference between good samples and an actual orchestra nowadays in this type of background/soundtrack music. But I guess a real orchestra is more important than more classes.
They're not including classes? The fuck?

Lacrymas

Arcane
What we get in EA is what we get. Only the sorcerer will be added later as free DLC.

ekrolo2

Learned
No Monks or Barbarians is a big decline for me then. Those are some of my favorites to play in 5e. It's especially weird to exclude the latter given how popular Barbs like Totem Warrior are.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
No Monks or Barbarians is a big decline for me then. Those are some of my favorites to play in 5e. It's especially weird to exclude the latter given how popular Barbs like Totem Warrior are.
They wouldn't be able to add the Totem Warrior even if they wanted to, because that's not in the SRD. The only primal path under OGL is the Path of the Berserker.

jf8350143

Liturgist
I don't know, it didn't feels like they were spending tons of money on it. The recording looks quite low budget to me.

V_K

Arcane
It's not that much about how expensive it was, it's just very very pointless. How many people turn in-game music off altogether? How many of the rest will care how it's recorded?
I guess, they might be planning to sell the soundtrack separately, like many games recently - but even then it would have been better to release the game first and see if there's any actual demand for it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yeah, it's more the context and how ultimately pointless it is. If the soundtrack is as good as, say, the Might and Magic soundtracks, sure. But this one really isn't and nobody outside of musicians would tell the difference either way, and maybe it would require you to be familiar with the specific samples being used even if you are a musician. When the composition requires more advanced technique, yeah, it's quite obvious it's not a real person playing it. Outside of that, this isn't the first debatable pecuniary decision they've made so far and that's why it sticks out.

Bara

Arcane
I mean we knew they were going to do the live orchestral recordings since the kickstarter.

It was the $240k streach goal so if anything this is just another fufillment of their kickstarter promises.

deuxhero

Arcane
2hVcGwOj6GeA5bJqp7JlMQvoI7PTXY6B4V0aRvmq.png

Now you can slay while looking dapper! No, that does not mean I'm giving you a bonus in Charisma for free though.

Why does the blue armor on the middle left properly end at the waist (enabling full mobility and lessening the load since part of it is suspending on the waist instead of the shoulders), while the two armors on the bottom end at the hips (and thus be impossible to move in)?

Last edited:

Myzzrym

Tactical Adventures
Patron
Developer
Uh folks, you DO realize that it was a Kickstarter stretch goals? It's not as if we're pulling that out of thin air, this was budgeted from the start with a portion of the Kickstarter money. If we promised it, you better believe we'll deliver on it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom