Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There are a number of soldiers in this game that could slot right into Jagged Alliance 2 without dragging the quality of that game down at all, which is no mean feat.
Same dude wrote the bios for these dudes and so on. I don't think he's around anymore or he was pretty ill last I remember, though.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
*Duel of fates starts playing in the background*
upwpgr5.png

I lost it unfortunately because i forgot to swap some of the gear. Was forced to restart the whole mission.:argh:
For the final mission you get to choose between Orcs and Dark Elfs. I chose the orcs because:
1) Da only good elf is a ded elf
2) Assassin guy was objectively a cooler character compared the sorceress. I still lament the loss of him when his inevitable betrayal happened.
3) I mean, the sorceress is stupid enough to blob up after i brought two rock lobbers
D8R0HqC.png

She is just asking for it
The game could use a bit more of unit variety but all in all, i think it's a good game.

Ash

Arcane
Hades - this and Doom: Eternal were my 2020 GOTY

Agreed. Just add Spelunky 2 (which I also saw that you played).

Just when I thought I was finished, the character work, weapons, and progression keep pulling me back in. It's genuinely astounding how much dialogue is tucked behind not only the boon system, but the gift giving as well. I can't believe I'm still unearthing new content after so many hours of playtime. Not only that, but the characters even react to the pact of punishments which is just fantastic. The amount of thought of put into every facet of this is just admirable. It genuinely surprised me that the sheer strength of the writing and character work was such to keep me returning. Such love is imparted to each character that I couldn't stop until I helped each individual one reconcile whatever conflict they were going through.

I too have been very impressed by Hades, but the gameplay (after some 70 hours) appears to be running its course before the story has. I think that may be the result of my skill level though (I'm not amazing but appear to be notably better than average since it took me 20 runs to first beat Hades and a friend took 51 to do the same) -- the game is probably more designed to the median player. I can't really complain though, the game has a lot of love put into both its gameplay and story. I only disagree with you in regards to the soundtrack. Sure it's good and fitting but nothing makes me *feel* the way a great soundtrack does aside from the main/end boss theme.

I also think more level and enemy diversity was needed. The game for sure has depth but there is ultimately only four worlds with the same enemy types over and over. Yes the pact of punishment adds a little diversity but it's actually not that much.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
I don't disagree. Especially since it was gifted to me :D

I may replay Morrowind next. Has anyone played the Rebirth mod?

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
On Busin 0, indirectly...

So much work, so much work...

Screenshot-3629.png

Keshik

Arcane
Playing through the Secret Files trilogy. Wow, there's some awful voice work in this game, Nina's voice in 3 is the best of what they did though, beats 1's deadpan narration and 2's odd whispering.

Ash

Arcane
shoutbox archive said:
Oct 23, 2020 at 5:03 PM - vortex: rebirth mod is must have for Morrowind balance and progression, I still play it

He buddy vortex, mind telling me a little more about Rebirth? How is the world design? Dungeon design? Mod faithfulness? Mod professionalism (does it feel like your average mod or akin to official content).

The terrible balance is definitely one of the first things that kills morrowind for me every damn time I try. Last time it was the boots of blinding speed + enchantments to remove the blinding effect, among other issues. I have high hopes the game is un-retarded.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Finished Forbidden Siren and Forbidden Siren 2, a series of PS2-exclusive survival horrors from Keiichiro Toyama, the director of original Silent Hill.

SH started as a Resident Evil clone but had a reduced emphasis on survival mechanics and a bigger focus on story and setting. Siren continues this trend of distancing away from RE and removes the essential "survival horror" mechanic of resource conservation, but makes up for it with the very unusual storytelling. And by that i mean not the story (the actual story is a bog standard Lovecraftian horror complete with a creepy village, cultists, human sacrifices and eldritch god), but a way the story is being told.

The campaign is divided into missions, each taking place in different areas of the village, and is told through the perspectives of ten survivors. Missions are structured in a table called "Link navigator" chronologically, but are played outside of chronological order - in one mission you control an ordinary japanese high schooler and must navigate through a forest, in the next mission set hours later your character is a university professor and your objective is to conduct an investigation, then you play as a local priest and witness something that happened a day before, etc, etc. All of your objectives are linked together through a butterfly effect, so performing a certain action as one character may affect the fate of a different person hours later.

This is already a very unusual format, but the game goes further and constantly breaks the fourth wall by giving you objectives that don't make sense for the character and only make sense for the player who has the meta knowledge. For example, the mission starts with "FIND A DOCUMENT". What document? My character doesn't know anything about this "document", he just came here. So you finish this mission, and it ends with a scene where your guy finds a hidden letter and says "huh? wtf is this?". And then few missions later this letter somehow becomes useful. It kinda reminded me of a 70s cartoon "Around the world in 80 days", where at the beginning of each episode Phileas Fogg asks Passepartout to pack some random items (like an old newspaper and a toothpick), and then near the end of an episode all of those items prove to be essential (the bad guy locks main characters in a room and leaves a key in a keyhole, Fogg puts a newspaper under the door, uses a toothpick to push the key out, the key falls on a newspaper and can be pulled back inside the room).

Now, this is cool and all, but the devs abused this butterfly effect thing to the point of players not being able to play the game without a walkthrough. Sometimes you can't even progress because you've failed to do a certain hidden task many hours ago in some unrelated mission. Ok, the objective is to find a diary, but where is it? *hours later* wtf turns out the diary was in a locked box, and i was supposed to hit a padlock with a rock to make it weaker in one of previous missions! Like a half of game's puzzles cannot be solved without replaying prior missions while pressing the "use" key near every interactable object, or having some prior knowledge from reading a walkthrough. I believe the game was specifically designed to sell strategy guides to be solved through a group effort (like PT, just on a smaller scale), but it was still a questionable design decision, especially in 2003 when the internet wasn't as widespread as it is now.

Gameplay-wise, Siren is less of a straight up survival horror like RE or SH, and more of an adventure with stealth elements. Quite often you don't have the means of defending yourself, and even when you do it's usually some shitty revolver with a dozen of bullets, or some rusty pipe. And even then the shibitos (your main enemy in the game, essentially walking corpses) are immortal and will raise back from the dead a couple of minutes later. The stealth system is very rigid, the levels are usually cramped and don't have a lot of ways to run away to, so most of the time being spotted leads to a game over screen.

All of the above may sound overly negative, but I actually really enjoyed Siren. It's not another RE clone, it's not another story about a sinner who did something bad and now represses their memories, it's not a storyfag walking sim filled with jumpscares.
Yes, the game has some trial and error moments, the story is overly cryptic, and the puzzles may require you to look up a guide every now and then, but in the end Siren is a truly unique experience. I'm glad i've played it even if it wasn't always fun.
The sequel, Forbidden Siren 2, is so much better than the first game it's not even funny. Pretty much everything that bugged me about Siren 1 was addressed in one way or another. Overly rigid stealth system leading to trial and error moments? Fixed, your character moves faster while crouched and the levels are now designed in a way so it is possible to run away and lose the enemy. Puzzles are too cryptic? The game now gives you hints on how to complete objectives and unlock new stages. The first game had a very hardcore beginning with the very first mission being about running away from an armed shibito policeman, Siren 2 on the other hand holds your hand for a couple of stages and teaches you how to interact with environment, use weapons and sneak past enemies. You may think "casualization! decline!", and it may appear so. But what's more important is that the sequel retained most of the uniqueness of Siren 1 while fixing its mistakes and refining the gameplay. The link navigator, complex non-linear narrative with multiple playable characters, hidden objectives - everything is still here, it's just doesn't make you pull your hair out because the sequel plays like a well-designed game and not a "guess how this mission was intended to be played or die trying" puzzle.

In the first Siren playable characters from the gameplay perspective can be divided into roughly three cathegories - the ones who have guns, the ones who have melee weapons, and completely defenseless. In Siren 2, the character roster is way more diverse - now we have a guy who can lay bear traps, a psychic girl who can mind-control enemies, a blind dude who can see through the eyes of his guide dog, JSDF soldiers armed with an assault rifle and smoke grenades, and so on. With improved AI, gameplay systems and new character abilities designers were able to come up with a much more varied missions - it's not just "escape from the area" or "find mcguffin". You can now loot shibitos and take away their weapons (making them less dangerous once they woke up after beating), you can now use first-person view to snipe enemies from afar when playing as JSDF soldiers (other characters either don't have access to rifles, or aren't trained properly so their aiming sucks). Later into the game you begin encountering new types of monsters who are afraid of the light, and this ties into gameplay as well - you can now strategically turn your flashlight on/off to blind them, you can use illuminated areas to stun pursuers or to deal damage (kinda like in Alan Wake). The missions are way longer now too, which brings back the element of resource conservation that was almost absent in the first game.

The tone is probably the only weird thing about Siren 2. If the first game was consistently dark and oppressive, the sequel sometimes goes into more fun direction (complete with a comic relief character of Soji Abe), but sometimes it cranks up the darkness which by contrast makes horrific parts even more horrific. The tonal shifts and occasional missions where you play as a soldier with an assault rifle made me think that Sony asked developers to use RE4 as an inspiration (RE4 came out soon after Siren 1 and was a smash hit), but i don't have proofs.

Overall Siren 2 is an all around solid game and can be easily recommended to every horror enthusiast. You can play it even if you haven't played the original game, because there's barely any connection between them.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
mind telling me a little more about Rebirth? How is the world design? Dungeon design? Mod faithfulness? Mod professionalism (does it feel like your average mod or akin to official content).

The terrible balance is definitely one of the first things that kills morrowind for me every damn time I try. Last time it was the boots of blinding speed + enchantments to remove the blinding effect, among other issues. I have high hopes the game is un-retarded.

It's quite faithful since Rebirth adds quality of life changes and fixes graphical glitches. I didn't like in vanilla a charge for enchanting and spellmaking so I played with mage with little to do around those things. Vanilla is notoriously bad for mages. Rebirth makes Morrowind more enjoyable while not breaking it. You won't see any glaring changes in dungeons while have some bugs fixed. It's like unofficial patch and quality of life mod.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dragon's Dogma - Tried playing it. Took dozen mmorpg-style quests "kill monsters", "gather flowers". Not sure if I'd like to continue. Doesn't grab me, but combat is supposedly good. I think I just want to play some story-driven jrpg at this point.
From what I remember of my time playing it, don't actively try to complete the MMO-style quests, the rewards aren't amazing and you'll mostly do them as you normally progress through the game or while exploring.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Playing Might&Magic 2 Iron Manlet I had my first combat party death near the end.
Was fighting Alcwande and his Elementals on the Plane of Water. He turned out to be quite a bit more resilient than his colleagues of Air and Fire, with very high AC and MAR. After him breathing for the third time only Sure Valla was left standing, but no worries, she'll use that Herbal Patch on Gene Eric who will cast Divine Intervention. Only problem was that in a previous battle I had pressed the wrong key when trying to Use a Meteor Bow, so now that Herbal Patch had become a Useless Item, and Sure Valla was not able to run away (Time Distortion doesn't work on the Planes). :(

Last edited:
total tank simulator

a giftravaganza win from mediocrepoet

keeps on crashing to desktop from the title screen (even if it gets to that)

checked steam bitch thread and yes there seems to be a issue here not just me

might need a few more months in the oven before i have another go

EDIT: dont feel sad bro the game itself looks ok and i will revisit it; not your fault mate you dndu nuffin

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
Silent Storm Sentinels, also known as S3 for retarded reasons. When I played it for the first time, I didn't think Sentinels was notably better or worse than the first game, just different. I'm finding my memory to be accurate so far. A few things have been made worse: it's much more linear than its predecessor, both in terms of the overall campaign and the missions themselves, which sometimes get too restrictive with their objectives. It's also a lot harder, idiotically so at times. I also dislike the addition of inventory management costing AP. I know, it makes the game more grognardy and tacticool and yadda yadda, but I'm finding it to be too finicky and overall not an improvement. In general, the amount of fiddling with inventories you have to do has been increased considerably.
On the other hand, the economy system is a lot of fun, and the attribute system seems to be... working as intended? I could have sworn it worked the same way as it did in the main game, which is to say not at all. Then again, the main problem with it there was that the recruits you DIDN'T use quickly outpaced the ones you did in terms of attribute growth, but since recruits are no longer free and attribute levels of unused recruits remain static, it's no longer a problem.

Speaking of recruits, one thing that struck me when I replayed Silent Storm last year, and which strikes me again now, is how good the roster is. There are a number of soldiers in this game that could slot right into Jagged Alliance 2 without dragging the quality of that game down at all, which is no mean feat.

For motherland! For Stalin!
SIlent Storm is nicknamed S2 to avoid the SS implication. So SSS is S3, naturally.

But you finish S3, so why not let Hammer & Sickle morally corrupted you, comrade?

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Going through my goddamn backlog. It's colossal. It's disgusting! Would probably be best to just write a bunch of this shit off, but I can't. I have to at least make an effort.

First bunch:
DOOM (Had lass than half way to go, had fun!)
Wolfenstein: The New Order (Just the final boss left. No idea why I stopped the last time.)
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (Think the save I used was midway through the game, still took me nearly 3 weeks to finish together with both expansions.)
Batman: Arkham Knight (Started from scratch, took almost two weeks, had a blast, nice send-off.)
Beyond: Two Souls (Old save, about a third through I'd say, wrapped the game up in 3 days. Well, 'game.' Did end up caring about what happened to the girl though, so that's something.)
Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (Started from scratch, took a week. Solid 'GTA-clone.')
Virginia (From scratch, took like an hour, hour and a half though! Hardly a game, but much like with Beyond, I was invested, I cared. Nice music, nice style.)
Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition (Just an easy one to chalk off the list, took a couple hours. Whatever, it's a fighting game. The story was insufferable!)

Second bunch:
What Remains Of Edith Finch (A walking simulator, but it was pretty. I liked it, I cared!)
Rise of the Tomb Raider (Had an old save, had like the last hour or two to go.)
Limbo (Cool, spooky platformer)
Mirror's Edge (Had it since forever, took a couple hours to beat, looks good for a 10 year old game!)
Steep (Used to snowboard as a kid in the late 90s and that was the last time I played a snowboarding game too before this one. Was fun for about a week!)
Mass Effect 2 (Man, this one. Sex & violence in space. Goofy to the 10th power! Laughed my ass off several times and I liked it, goddammit!)
Mass Effect 3 (Less entertaining than the previous one, wasn't QUITE as 'out there.' The last third of it really seemed to take forever.)
Scribblenauts Unmasked (Fun puzzle game, though I'm sure it would've been a whole lot more fun if I was a DC fanboy.)
Transformers: Devastation (I'm 2 hours into it now and I like it. Feels nice! Liked the cartoon a bunch as a kid and this definitely feels like the cartoon.)

Third bunch:
Middle-earth: Shadow of War - Definitive Edition (The first game I bought since I really started going after my backlog. Also the game that probably made me swear off buying any kind of DLC for good. Could've taken just the base game for 12,5 bucks, HAD to get the complete one for 25. Quickly came to the realization that I just didn't care enough about the extra crap. And that the days of trying to 100% games are just done! Ended up ignoring pretty much all of the DLC stuff. And after like 15 hours into the game I just tried to get it over with as soon as possible. No chance in Hell I was going to do the 'epilogue' either. Still had fun though!)
Fallout 4 (There's never been a video game that I've hated more than Fallout 3. Seems times have changed because I didn't have much of an issue with Fallout 4. It's not the Fallout I remember, but that's fine, I'm fine with Fallout being dead. Had a lot of fun exploring the wasteland for the 50 hours or so it took me to finish. And playing a chick, a mother, the main questline threw me for a solid spin in the second half of the game.)
Assassin's Creed Syndicate (Had a huge urge to get Oddyssey on sale. For whatever reason. 'Forced' myself to fire up Syndicate instead. Gotta keep chipping away at that backlog! Anyway, I had fun! Started to get a bit boring after 15 hours or so, this is Assassin's Creed afterall, but I just bulldozed my way through the last couple of chapters and wrapped the whole thing up in about 20 hours.)
Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Shadows of Hong Kong (Really like the Shadowrun games, but this thing was just a slog. Didn't even bother with the side-missions, just wanted to wrap it up ASAP and did.)

Fourth bunch:
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire (I really liked the first one, put 600+ hours into it even! Across 2-3 completed playthroughs and several aborted ones. Won't be doing that with PoE2 but I did have a lot of fun with it for the 60-70 hours it took me to get through it.)
Assassin's Creed Odyssey (Second game I bought since I started attacking my backlog. And I couldn't get enough of this one! Clocked in around 85 hours as the broad Kassandra, ultimately forced myself to just stick to the main missions towards the end and wrap it up 'early.' Probably could've gone 100+ hours otherwise. GOTY 2018! Then again I only played two other games released in 2018, PoE2 and Battletech. Unexpected! Had an inkling I was going to like this one, didn't think it'd be that much. Curse you, Ubisoft!)
Age of Mythology: Extended Edition (I recall really loving this one back in the day. It definitely doesn't have the same impact nowadays! Shit didn't age too well. Shudder to think how I'd feel playing AoE 1 now, or even crap like WarCraft 1/2 or C&C! Loved those games as a kid, really glad I don't own any of them now, glad I don't have to play them now. Still, AoM was OK, got through the main campaign fine, there was no chance in hell I was going to do the expansion stuff.)
The Room Two (A pretty simple puzzle game, something different for me, was OK for the two hours it took me to beat it.)
The Cave (Kinda funny puzzle platformer from Ron Gilbert. Pretty easy, a bit clunky, but I didn't mind dragging three people through it.)

Fifth bunch:
Mark of the Ninja (Great 2D stealth platformer! Could barely stop playing once I started.)
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (Played it once before on the PS3 so the emotional impact was way weaker this time around, still had a nice time, game still looks lovely, plays great.)
The Banner Saga 2 (Played the first one a while back, no idea why it took me this long to get around to playing the second one. Liked the story, loved the art, got a bit tired of the combat.)
The Banner Saga 3 (Finished the second one, had to finish the third one as well. Same as with part 2. Maybe this one was a bit short, at least I didn't like how this whole epic saga was just wrapped up with a, 'Hey, that sure was something, huh? Alright, bye!')
Thimbleweed Park (Thought I was going to like it way more than I did. It was fine! Just didn't like how the main characters would barely acknowledge eachother. You'd have them cooperate with eachother to solve puzzles but it never really made much sense why they'd want to.)
Dishonored 2 (Loved the first one, I really did. Gave this one a go, but for some reason wasn't really feelin' it so I bailed after a couple of hours. I'll be back though!)
Far Cry 5 (Felt like playing this instead. Picked it up for 12€, my first gaming purchase of the year. And so far, so good. Like the world, I'm having fun, don't like the way the 'story' keeps hassling me. Just weirdly done. I'm out there, I don't know, doing something silly, something fun, and the game will just decide,'OK, buddy, that's enough of that! Time for one of the boring villians to talk at you for 5 minutes.')

Sixth bunch:
Far Cry 4 (Just had to wrap it up, finished it in a couple hours. Was probably fun enough the first time I played it.)
Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition (Finished the original campaign way back when, never got around to going through the EE. Until now. Great game, enjoyable game, but can't imagine I'll ever go back again.)
Assassin's Creed Origins (Didn't expect to enjoy this one much. But I did! Not as much as Odyssey, but still. Played it for a solid week, finished it even. Ptolemaic Egypt looked great.)
Cities: Skylines (Liked it, but ultimately just got a city to 75000 people and quit, considered the game 'finished' at that point. F'ing traffic!)
Mass Effect: Andromeda (Liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Felt kinda bad even that there does not seem to be a new one on the horizon. Would love to visit Andromeda some more. Will happen eventually, I'm sure!)
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition (Finished an old save from about 2/3 through the game. Always nice to go back to Baldur's Gate.)
Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear (Playing this right now and hey! I'm enjoying myself well enough. Not digging through deeply into it, but as it is, it's just more 'Baldur's Gate' to me. Looks good too!)

Seventh bunch:
Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition (Been forever since I last played it, at least a decade. Felt great going back.)
Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition (Same thing as with Planescape really. You really can go home again!)
Assassin's Creed Odyssey - New Game Plus + DLC (This goddamn thing. Played more than 200 hours now all together and I just couldn't get enough of it! I hope it's really over now. )
Shadow of the Tomb Raider (Liked the previous two nü-tomb raiders. More of the same here, fun, exciting, liked the tombs. Looked great on my ultra-wide too!)
Prey (Shouldn't have put this off for this long. Had a blast. Intentionally left a fistful of side stuff unifinished so I can eventually go back for NG+.)
Abzû (Looked pretty on ultrawide! Music was nice. Did get a little tired of it about an hour in but it did draw me back in towards the end.)

Eight bunch:
Dishonored 2 (Really liked the first Dishonored game. Bought this as soon as it came out, gave it a go, just didn't grab me. Did this time around though, loved it!)
Borderlands GOTY Enhanced (Was in the mood for some shooting I guess. Blasted through it in 3 days.)
Borderlands 2 (This one took like 2 weeks, guess I was kinda spent.)
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (Liked it a lot, go through it in a weekend. If it had some kind of 'new game plus,' I would've gone right back in.)
The Outer Worlds (First game to ever make me feel physically ill! Other than Bad Mojo way back when. Dunno, something didn't quite gel right with my ultrawide display. Managed to get it sorted and finish the game, fun game! Though I seem to have no desire to ever wanna go back.)
Red Dead Redemption 2 (Loved the original, couldn't wait for this one. Bought it day one, refunded it 1 hour later. Shit ultra-wide support. Poo. Bought again though later on, found an ultrawide mod and had a blast playing it.)
Dragon Age: Inquisition (Think I had fun here and there, but even though I blasted through it as quickly as I possibly could, still felt like the game was dragging on and on.)
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (Was great, liked it a lot. Beat in 2 days.)
The Sinking City (Really enjoyed it, despite it being pretty janky.)
Control (Knew pretty much nothing about the game, don't think I even heard about it before it popped up on the Epic Games Store. Liked Alan Wake, bought this on a whim, had a ton of fun.)
Shardlight (Was in the mood for a point 'n' click adventure, this one was decent enough, nothing too difficult, beat it at a pretty comfortable pace.)
God of War: Ascension (Still have a couple unbeaten games left on my PS3, wanted to get one out of the way, picked this one. Was OK.)
Far Cry 5 New Game Plus (Figured it'd look nice @ 21:9. It did.)
Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones (Backed it on Kickstarter, think it was worth it.)
Divinity: Original Sin 2 (Finally got through it, tried several times before, always grew bored. I don't know, these D:OS games. They're good, they're very good, but just not quite my bag or something. Don't dig the whole 'theme park design' thing.)
Disco Elysium (Game got ultrawide support, was thrilled, couldn't buy it fast enough once I found out. GOTY.)
Saints Row: The Third (Blasted through it in two days.)
Saints Row IV (Blasted through it in three days.)
Batman: Arkham Origins (Wanted to be Batman again. Good game.)
Carmageddon: Max Damage (Scratched an itch I forgot I had. Loved the original two games as a kid and thought this new one was pretty good! Felt like 'good ol' Carmageddon' to me and that was plenty.)
Dying Light (Played it a while back, couldn't get through it, but I did this time. Excited about the sequel!)
Dead Island Definitive Edition (Felt like killing some more zombies. Bit wonky, still hacking up zombies just refused to get old. Hated the city though, Moresby.)
Wasteland 2: Director's Cut (Beat the original release a while back, finally finished the DC. Bring on Wasteland 3!)

Ninth bunch:
The Walking Dead: A New Frontier (A couple months later, already can't remember what it was about. I think I liked it.)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands (Had fun, did get boring after awhile and I just bulldozed my way towards the end as fast as I possibly could.)
The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep (I really liked it! Way more than I was expecting. Was even sad that the game wasn't successful and I'm assuming we won't be seeing any more.)
Total War: Shogun 2 (Blasted through a 'short campaign' just to cross it off my list. Might go back eventually, play a proper campaign.)
Total War: Rome II (Boldly told myself I wasn't going to autoresolve any battles, forgot all about that after like a day.)
Vampyr (Wasn't expecting much, but I quite liked it!)
Whispes of a Machine (Liked the story well enough, but the puzzles were just way too easy. Made the pacing all weird. Often I'd just breeze through a bunch and ended up feeling kind of lost because of it.)
GreedFall (Was alright. Maybe a bit too much running around, got boring towards the end.)
Expeditions: Conquistador (Played 'Viking' before it, liked it a bit more than this one. Still a fun game. Looking forward to whatever those dudes are working on now.)

Tenth bunch:
Full Throttle Remastered (Never played it back in the day. Was alright IIRC. Not to difficult, which I appreciated.)
Layers of Fear (I'm a big pussy when it comes to horror games. Which is a shame, would love to be able to enjoy them. Just can't handle them! But this one was pretty tame so I got through it, had a good time.)
Subnautica (Screwed myself way back when, stopped playing after 10-15 hours or so. Seeing stuff in this game for the first time is f'ing great, it's awesome. Seeing it for a second, third or whatever time, not so much. Still, powered through this time, finished it. Looking forward to the sequel, though I have no idea how that game'll be able to measure up. What with a lot of the mystery that made the first game so cool, it just won't be there anymore.)
Stories Untold (More pussy-level horror. Dug it!)
Delores: A Thimbleweed Park Mini-Adventure (Want a proper sequel.)
Unavowed (Liked the story, liked the characters, game was pretty easy. Want more.)
A Way Out (Played it with my best friend while getting obliterated on beers and Gin & Tonic. We loved it! Finished it in pretty much one sitting. Great couch co-op experience despite it's silly story and some of the mechanics not quite being up to snuff.)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Bought a Switch, figured I'd just start off with the big one. Was great! Not quite the life-altering experience it was hyped up, I did get a bit tired of it after 70 hours or so, but still. Left a bunch of stuff untouched, I assume I'll be back soon.)

Latest bunch:
Luigi's Mansion 3 (Liked it! Very entertaining, really enjoyed exploring the 'haunted hotel', I'm a sucker for 'detail', was plenty to be found in the seemingly painstakingly hand-crafted rooms. Funny game too! Always thought Luigi was a bit of a fruit, but this lanky doofus is alright by me.)
Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Fun combat, fun story, fun characters and fun interactions between said characters. Often quite fruity, didn't mind.)
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Just finished yesterday. Took 75-80 hours, despite the fact that I made it a point to rush through the last couple of chapters. Was awesome though! Spent the first 20 hours or so thinking, 'this is the greatest game I've ever played.' Wasn't quite that by the time I was done, still, it was quite an experience. This shit's all brand new to me, don't think I ever really played a JRPG before. Always thought I'd hate all that stuff. I was wrong! Loved it!)

Man, this f'ing Switch. Everything I play is fresh as hell (to me anyway) and super-fun. Mario Odyssey is next up. Might lose my mind.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
Went back and 100%'ed Call of Juarez Gunslinger after leaving it half done a year ago. Good little game. Popamole, but fun pulp-western, arcade attack popamole.

It has reignited by hunger for another slow-paced RPG though. I've been eyeing Spiderweb Software's catalogue as part of my ongoing mission to get into more older RPGS from before my time, and their games have got the neat little isometric dioramas that drew me into UnderRail. Currently thinking over whether to start with Avernum or Avadon, since I hear Geneforge's first game is in the middle of a remaster.

BRO FUCK THE REMASTER

PLAY GENEFORGE OR ORIGINAL AVERNUM

BOTH JUST WONDERFUL GAMES

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom