Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Thanks Larian for doing to the Baldur's Gate name, what Fallout 3 did to Fallout name... When a modern RPG gamer meets a (g)old RPG.

jkisPEh.png

Ah yes, a true rpg conoisseur destroying the nostalgia of the codex boomers.

BG 1 and 2 will be exposed as the mediocre crap that they are when more people will try that old boomer trash after playing BG 3.

Harthwain

Magister
I will admit that it's a needlessly convoluted mechanics, but is the concept of SUBTRACTIONS really that hard?
I think the main reason for it being a problem is that you need to read manual to understand what you're supposed to roll, because the in-game tutorial only covers basics for people who barely know how to use computer/interface (the "L-click on me to attack me" kind of thing) and nowadays few people bother reading manuals.

I brute-forced my way through THAC0 when I played the game for the first time. The way I figured it out was by giving characters weapons with +something (the more, the better) and armor that gave me lesser number (which I figured out comparing leather armor with plate armor). I also supplemented fights with fire or acid magic, in case I ran into trolls and such, because I read somewhere it's the only way to kill them for good. The rest came down to rolls, so I didn't really care about what I rolled, as long as I managed to win the fight in the end and nobody was dead (or at least someone who could ressurect people was still standing by the end of combat).

It was super inefficient way of playing, but it was good enough for me back then.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
You have no idea how many people see math as some arcane magic, do you?
I've taught computer science to teenagers for a living, and the number of kids who needed hours and hours of hard work to understand even the most basic math concepts is higher than I care to admit. I will never forget the eyes of the kid who kept writing 2 - 1 = 0. I hope he is ok now.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
You have no idea how many people see math as some arcane magic, do you?
I've taught computer science to teenagers for a living, and the number of kids who needed hours and hours of hard work to understand even the most basic math concepts is higher than I care to admit. I will never forget the eyes of the kid who kept writing 2 - 1 = 0. I hope he is ok now.
Ah, yes. I can relate. I have seen similar examples myself. Kids like that are exactly what I picture behind the keyboard every time I see someone not understanding THAC0.

Varnaan

Augur
Thanks Larian for doing to the Baldur's Gate name, what Fallout 3 did to Fallout name... When a modern RPG gamer meets a (g)old RPG.

jkisPEh.png
Ah yes it's Larian's fault that people are retarded.
Man if you have such a hateboner for Larian book a flight to Belgium and beat Sven up while crying about your based Aerie romances, how great of a character Imoen is or whatever.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

jkisPEh.png
Man if you have such a hateboner for Larian book a flight to Belgium and beat Sven up while crying about your based Aerie romances, how great of a character Imoen is or whatever.
Please don't beat me up, I am but a humble gaming merchant.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
No, it's Larian's fault that they're making games for retards.

Varnaan

Augur
Less than 10% of players have finished OS2 in classic mode.
If they made games for retards the numbers would be far higher.
Their recent games have broad appeal, like the BG games did in their time, if anything Larian has a lot in common with early Bioware.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
exposed as the mediocre crap
What do you mean exposed? BG1 and BG2 are among reasons (along with WoW) why whole genre was is in decline for years, because it's attracted swarm of a braindead morons who think RPG is about romancing digital dolls and D&D is about licking ass to predefined characters (with shit stats) just so they stay in your party (there not even mercs as alternative if my memory is correct ffs) and larping as CHoSen OnE (with most lame and overused cliche background since New Testament was written) with world rolling around your character, instead of being adventurer among other adventurers on their quest. And on top of all that, there was used RTwP combat system which completely not fit to the game that claims to be as D&D CRPG.
With all that in mind, any sane person would consider BG1 and BG2 are not deserving even half of the praise that some people spewing in fanatical fervor.
destroying the nostalgia of the codex boomers.
Boomers means as age or years spent on codex? Because majority of people who praise these shitty games have none of it, they biodrones and biofags who flooded in after some time and now pretend to be " OG connoisseurs" of RPG (more like connoisseurs of shit) while I pretty much sure they would be laughed and mocked at in the past.

Honestly, If I had desire to play a game that claims to be D&D CRPG, but has shitty RTwP combat system - there more chances that I would pick IWD over BG series.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

jkisPEh.png
Hey, Thac0, they are shit-talking you on Reddit. Are you going to do anything about it?

Also imagine not being able to play a game that me and my retarded friends beat when we were 7 years old. :lol:

That is the true face of the decline. Western RPG fans by now are mostly console rpg fans. People playing Divinity consider themselves hardcore, and people who play Pillars and Tyranny think they have found the end of the rainbow already.
With a customer base like that it is no wonder barely anyone tries to make proper crpgs anymore.

... Also attacked by a Golem in CH1? The only golems in the early game of BG 2 are in Irenicus Lab... Did this fucktard literally get filtered by the tutorial on easiest difficulty?

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Their recent games have broad appeal, like the BG games did in their time, if anything Larian has a lot in common with early Bioware.

I dunno, I got to I believe the last chapter and just couldn't force myself to play anymore. It's too boring and slow. The story is not interesting, the characters are dumb. Why punish mysel? I wouldn't be surprised if many other players didn't finish to similar reasons.

Varnaan

Augur
I dunno, I got to I believe the last chapter and just couldn't force myself to play anymore. It's too boring and slow. The story is not interesting, the characters are dumb. Why punish mysel? I wouldn't be surprised if many other players didn't finish to similar reasons.
I didn't like the writing much in OS but I found the story, writing and pacing of OS2 compelling, and the last two chapters were very well paced in my opinion, with a lot of freedom to go about progressing the story and neat combat encounters.
Different strokes, etc...

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
... Also attacked by a Golem in CH1? The only golems in the early game of BG 2 are in Irenicus Lab... Did this fucktard literally get filtered by the tutorial on easiest difficulty?
Maybe he is talking about the golems in the de'Arnise keep in chapter 2? That's the only possible explanation.

Tyrr

Liturgist

The good old: "It's fun playing with friends". Playing in co-op makes people thinking that the game is fun. But even throwing shit at each other can be fun with friends.
And you never end the game in co-op. (thus a 10% completion rate)
D:OS2 isn't a RPG, it's a party game.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
exposed as the mediocre crap
What do you mean exposed? BG1 and BG2 are among reasons (along with WoW) why whole genre was is in decline for years, because it's attracted swarm of a braindead morons who think RPG is about romancing digital dolls and D&D is about licking ass to predefined characters (with shit stats) just so they stay in your party (there not even mercs as alternative if my memory is correct ffs) and larping as CHoSen OnE (with most lame and overused cliche background since New Testament was written) with world rolling around your character, instead of being adventurer among other adventurers on their quest. And on top of all that, there was used RTwP combat system which completely not fit to the game that claims to be as D&D CRPG.
With all that in mind, any sane person would consider BG1 and BG2 are not deserving even half of the praise that some people spewing in fanatical fervor.
destroying the nostalgia of the codex boomers.
Boomers means as age or years spent on codex? Because majority of people who praise these shitty games have none of it, they biodrones and biofags who flooded in after some time and now pretend to be " OG connoisseurs" of RPG (more like connoisseurs of shit) while I pretty much sure they would be laughed and mocked at in the past.

Honestly, If I had desire to play a game that claims to be D&D CRPG, but has shitty RTwP combat system - there more chances that I would pick IWD over BG series.
Indeed.

Ontopoly on suicide watch

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
If they made games for retards the numbers would be far higher
There are lies, damned lies and statistics. This number is completely meaningless, especially since it is not egregiously low compared to every other game ever made
You are part of Larian's target audience, so it's no wonder you don't understand that broad appeal twenty fucking years ago meant completely different things compared to broad appeal now. The real comparison happens when a Larian fanboy tries to play Baldur's Gate and gets filtered by the tutorial. Case in point:
Maybe he is talking about the golems in the de'Arnise keep in chapter 2? That's the only possible explanation.
I can totally believe he got filtered by the tutorial.

Ninjerk

Arcane
This post spells out everything wrong about BG3. Every step is known, I can't get out from the shackles of combat in turns, it's the same beat over and over and over punching me in the face.
A Belgian boot stamping on a human face forever

Varnaan

Augur
You are part of Larian's target audience, so it's no wonder you don't understand that broad appeal twenty fucking years ago meant completely different things compared to broad appeal now.
Did it now?
I mean if you apply the same standards adjusted to the state of gaming, BG and BG2 had broader appeal than the OS games.
There is a pretty huge difference between the big RPG names before and after 1998 and Baldur's Gate was at the forefront of the democratization of the genre.
Original Sin, Kingmaker, etc... Are just riding the coattail of isometric popularity + crowd funding allowing smaller studios to do what they want to do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom