Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
was attribute formula changed or is it still capped at 500?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I went to Mire of Damned because of the merchant trainer. On foot. One of my characters got drunk after a harpy attack. She is singing too loudly, I am afraid the monsters will hear it. How can I cure that condition? I cannot rest because its full of skeletons, ghosts etc.

Have you tried visiting a Temple?

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
Thanks! Drunk solved by reaching Darkmoor and resting at the inn.
Killed a lots of skeleton at Mire. My party is level 59 now. Except my sorcerer, I have to increase his personality for master merchant yet.
I can increase the master merchant skill up to 12. Above that I do not get discount at the Free Haven training centre.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Nearing the end of MM2.
While exploring area E2 which is scaled so you only meet high level enemies (#160 Dino Spider being the lowest numbered and #222 Mega Trolls (the one time I met some they dropped a Doomsday Box) the highest ones I've seen), we faced this group:
xk0Pg3x.jpg

Regrettably we had to disengange from all this juicy XP...

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
Nearing the end of MM2.
While exploring area E2 which is scaled so you only meet high level enemies (#160 Dino Spider being the lowest numbered and #222 Mega Trolls (the one time I met some they dropped a Doomsday Box) the highest ones I've seen), we faced this group:
Regrettably we had to disengange from all this juicy XP...
Why do you have to disengage?
Are that Mega Trolls from Codex?

Why does not work the
[Settings]
FlipOnExit=0
in mm6.ini in the game directory?
I dislike the flip, always get confused.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
x9JF2dS.jpg

My victorious party before spending thoses 50 million XPs on training:
uTUDKAa.jpg

o5VHZlQ.jpg

zcs97f6.jpg

m5Az8Cx.jpg

BKNGcP1.jpg

jK2XURr.jpg

nwe8A9o.jpg

BMXYWLU.jpg

Did all the quests and explored every square of the map, except half the Dragon Lair.
Did no grinding at all.
Found 4 Doomsday Boxes: The 3 Cuisinarts, The Reptoid and his saurian army, The Cat From Hell, and a random encounter in E2 (the obvious grinding area) of which a couple of Mega Trolls were the highest ranking opponents.

Bloody long game...

Unfinished Business: Dragon Lair and 66 Devil Kings.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Before replaying MM2 I had some goals:

1. Finish it completely within one game year.

2. No party deaths.

3. Defeat the Devil Kings and Mega Dragon.

Sadly I fell short on all three.

I spent five days too much, excluding the two years wrongfully imprisoned and the two years from time traps. I would probably have made it if I had started using the well at C1 1,5 that sets magic points to 200 as soon as I discovered it, instead of wasting time resting.

Had three party deaths, all of which could have been avoided.
I try to play as "blind" as possible, but I got overconfident from memory of MM3 where radiation only ages, so I stepped into the Death Zone.
Got too cocky when fighting Alcwande and his Water Elementals, and had some bad luck with pressing wrong keys.
Didn't complete the final puzzle in time. I actually did decode Yellow, Green and Red messages, but at this point I was so exhausted that I figured I could just look up the answer. Unfortunately the answer is not straightforward; you actually have to do some decoding yourself. Googling only provides you with the method.

The Devil Kings (magic immune (?) and with 5000 HP each) proved too tough for lvl 48 characters. I had to retreat after defeating 4-5 of them. Probably doable with lots of patience, which I had run out of at that point.
The Mega Dragon has 64,000 HP, is immune to physical attacks, and the only spells that seems to have a remote chance of working are non-elemental ones. So it sounds like a project that could take several hours and then you realize you have run out of spell points...

Darth Canoli

Arcane
The Mega Dragon has 64,000 HP, is immune to physical attacks, and the only spells that seems to have a remote chance of working are non-elemental ones. So it sounds like a project that could take several hours and then you realize you have run out of spell points...

What about finger of death?
I suppose there is no mass distortion spell.
So it's 64 implosion casts?

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Finger of Death and Disintegrate supposedly only works in the Nintendo version.
Miss Distortion sounds like the most likely spell to get him down to size, and then use Implosion to finish him off. Problem is that the chances of spells actually penetrating his MAR is so low, so you run the risk of running out of spell points.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
GM Identify Monster on MMIX is supposed to give Resistances. I have 15 ranks + GM and not seeing it - is there a trick?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
On the third try it was back to Hell for the Devil Kings. On second try the front line was too wide (5), but with only two of the devils in melee range the square jawed heroes of Square Lake prevailed:
RUr7XV0.jpg

43RdcFx.jpg

Loot was meh, but the XP was enough for another 40 levels.

Still haven't seen any Time Lords or Orc Gods, so I think I will play MM2 some more.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
On the third try it was back to Hell for the Devil Kings. On second try the front line was too wide (5), but with only two of the devils in melee range the square jawed heroes of Square Lake prevailed:
RUr7XV0.jpg

43RdcFx.jpg

Loot was meh, but the XP was enough for another 40 levels.

Still haven't seen any Time Lords or Orc Gods, so I think I will play MM2 some more.

247.5M? You sure this isn't Diablo 4?

madrigal

Augur
Implosion only does 500 damage.

Miss Distortion sounds like the most likely spell to get him down to size, and then use Implosion to finish him off. Problem is that the chances of spells actually penetrating his MAR is so low, so you run the risk of running out of spell points.
The only way I could do it, due to the spell point problem is using 8 Clerics casting Mass distortion, magic herbs and Photon items for implosion.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yeah, the MM2 MegaDragon is a beast. I think there is a cheese but mostly the tactic you're trying is what most do. I'd like to think there was a clue but damn... that's a long time ago.

Funny, I think its the toughest version of all:

Mega dragon
0PcyRT5.jpg

Info
Hit Points
: 1,300
Armor Class: 100
The Mega dragon is a unique monster that appears in the Dragon Cave in Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor. He has the appearance and stats of a red dragon, but uses a ranged fire attack, dealing 16D8 damage, and is immune to fire and body attacks. His attack can break his target's armor.

Mega dragon
w30Sp50.jpg

Info
Hit Points
: 64,000
Armor Class: 100
The mega dragon is a monster in Might and Magic V: Darkside of Xeen. It uses a ranged attack that deals 10D200 energy damage and can strike all members of the party. It can eradicate its target. It is highly resistant to physical damage and immune to all other forms of damage.

DON'T READ AS ITS A SPOILER -- possibly only SNES related
Mega dragon

Info
Hit Points
: 64000
Armor Class: 250
The mega dragon is a unique creature in Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World, and a central part of the history of CRON.

The mega dragon, should it fight the player's party, is practically impossible to defeat: it has an incredible amount of hit points, it can only be harmed by non-elemental magic which fails against it about half the time, and its melee attack eradicates party members thus removing them from the battle for good. It can also knock out all party members in the front row (or up to six targets, in versions of the game that don't use rows) with its energy breath attack, though this can be recovered from.

The only ways of dealing significant damage to the dragon are the Mass Distortion spell, and Implosion (once the dragon's HP has fallen to 2000 or less, thus making Implosion more powerful than Mass Distortion). Even if the player had a full party of clerics with Photon Blades, though, it is very likely that they would not have enough turns to defeat the dragon.

The mega dragon was created in the eighth century to battle King Kalohn. Both itself and Kalohn perished in a battle in the area that thus become the Quagmire of Doom. The player's party are ultimately obliged to save the king by traveling back to the eighth century with the elemental orb and talons that will allow Kalohn to defeat and survive against the dragon.

If the player's party returns to the Quagmire of Doom in the eighth century without the orb and talons, they will witness Kalohn die before the mega dragon turns to fight them.

HEROES 4
xAXSnbb.jpg

& Da MegaDragon King
gIvBOoM.jpg

Last edited:

Lasagna42

Novice
Hey all! New to RPG Codex, which is kind of astonishing, since it looks like it was build with special love, just for me. I think I'm going to like it here. Of course I took an ambien twenty minutes ago, and my brain is not to be trusted.

Still, I'm poking around the site, seeing what's what. I always loved the reviews from here, but never looked into the community, which looks thriving. Wish I had joined years ago.

Anyway: Might and Magic. I had two questions for the experts:

1. Is Might & Magic X worth having to download that UBISoft player? I'm pretty gunshy with that stuff. I've got Steam, because duh, and I've got GOG, because they sold (cheap!) the games of my youth when nobody else would. But these other things - when I downloaded RDR2 they made me install and agree to so much shit I was worried I'd accidentally given away my house.

Sorry, that was boring. But is the game worth it? I read really upbeat reviews and others that cautioned that the combat didn't work quite as intended. What does everyone think?

2. I loved MM6 and MM7 when they came out. Since then I've dabbled in World of Xeen, but never got past the first city even though I was enjoying it. It's just that it's old and clunky, nothing more than that. Should I stick with it? How much nostalgia is required to really enjoy WoX?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
How much nostalgia is required to really enjoy WoX?
None. I think it's just all around a better game than 6/7/8. You can play it entirely with the keyboard, which is by itself a big advantage over the later games, and it will feel a lot less clunky once you get used to that.

Kliwer

Savant
1. Is Might & Magic X worth having to download that UBISoft player? I'm pretty gunshy with that stuff. I've got Steam, because duh, and I've got GOG, because they sold (cheap!) the games of my youth when nobody else would. But these other things - when I downloaded RDR2 they made me install and agree to so much shit I was worried I'd accidentally given away my house.

Sorry, that was boring. But is the game worth it? I read really upbeat reviews and others that cautioned that the combat didn't work quite as intended. What does everyone think?

2. I loved MM6 and MM7 when they came out. Since then I've dabbled in World of Xeen, but never got past the first city even though I was enjoying it. It's just that it's old and clunky, nothing more than that. Should I stick with it? How much nostalgia is required to really enjoy WoX?

1. It all depends (of course) on your preferences. For me - M&M X is one of the best games released in the last 20 years. Very interesting battles, nice exploration and dungeons, decent difficulty level. It is a bit underdeveloped and a bit too short, but still has the hallmarks of genius.

2. World of Xeen doesn't require nostalgia at all (I played this game for the first time maybe 6 years ago and I immediately fell in love with it). You just have to endure the interface a bit (it's still one of the most accessible games of its era). I also recommend M&M 3 - personally, I even prefer it to WoX.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom