Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's settle this once and for all: Fallout 2 or Underrail?

Choose wisely

• Total voters

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
In Underrail it doesn't make sense that your character would go into countless dangerous situations just because Tanner might pay you some money or because you want to figure it out.
True at the first glance, although if you pay attention you may notice that Tanner uses some kind of NLP to manipulate your character to do his bidding. He's extraterrestrial, after all.
Ezra, Dude, Gorsky, Yngwar, Ferryman, Todd, Professor Oldfield, Briggs, Ladelman and Marcus, Seeger scattered throughout the game.
Literally all of them, except Ezra and Gorsky, are from Expedition (Dude's quest originally was quite short, or so). Vanilla Underrail loses this one clearly. Why it's important? Expedition came out four years after the game while Fallout had no expansions or such.
In particular, craftable shields are literally several times stronger than any that can be looted which is just odd.
It's done in the name of balance, so investing in crafting will give you edge compared to non-crafting char. Non-crafting run is one of the most toughest in Underrail.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
8.) Characters
Fallout probably has the best characters, but looking at the characterisation of lesser figures, I think Underrail actually wins on this one. There are a lot of 'moderately characterised' figures like Ezra, Dude, Gorsky, Yngwar, Ferryman, Todd, Professor Oldfield, Briggs, Ladelman and Marcus, Seeger scattered throughout the game. Lots of little things, like Mordre being unwilling to accept a gift of hopper meat and demanding that he pay you for it with a stimpack, one of the ferrymen having a pirate persona, one of the Tchortist guards being mortified if you ask for a key from him but have already pickpocketed it. Also there's a lot of dialogue options where you can be autistically literal and make the NPCs facepalm.
Maybe I just don't remember enough Fallout writing but i think most of it's concentrated on a handful of characters.
I wrote a super long autism post, but decided to shorten it to just this because Underrail does have interesting characters, lore as well, but it's hidden behind stat checks and tucked away in hidden places and actions you hadn't even considered, and I wouldn't say it can really stand up to Fallout either way. The plot also really sucks. But some of the characters are interesting and memorable. And at least for me personally, a big reason is the language they use. From the weird mish mash of various Southern Slavic dialects (that even I don't understand) to the Icelandic Viking runes of Expedition and even everyone being either a pipeworker or hardcore in Core City,

Let me segway here with my autism a bit. You're building a world and the only limit is your imagination, and what is Obsidian's response to that in Pillars of Eternity (linguistically that is)?
Obsidian said:
Lets throw in bits of Italian and fucking Polynesian. They're weird and exotic right?
Mix it up a bit you fucking faggots. The n'wahs of Morrowind and pipeworkers of Underrail by comparison seem fucking Tolkienesque. When Tolkien wrote his autism books he didn't fucking just borrow and slightly modify a language. He went all out. He CREATED languages. LANGUAGES! FUCKING PLURAL!
So we need more fictional languages in games for worldbuilding. Half the reason Underrail's characters are memorable is because of the language they use.

And Italian and Polynesian aren't the (only) reason why Pillar of Decline's and Trashfire's worldbuilding didn't work, but that's a discussion for another time.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
So we need more fictional languages in games for worldbuilding. Half the reason Underrail's characters are memorable is because of the language they use.
Underrail has: regular English, aye English, quasi-Slavic, quasi-Nordic and Core-city slang. Oh, and also annoying Hexagon slang which Seeger uses and that would be featured in Infusion, I reckon. Quite impressive for a wordlbuilding.

Risewild

Arbiter
Fallout 2 for me.

While I enjoy combat, I also prefer having combat and still have other interactions with my character. I need a world that can be interacted with besides using it for combat.

Also, we can now play Fallout 1 in Fallout 2's engine. So Fallout 2 allows to play Fallout 1 in a more polished engine... Total win.

Last edited:

Varnaan

Augur
Underrail is a better game mechanically but Fallout 2 has the edge as a superior RPG so I voted Joe Pesci.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
ekwZVye.png

Lol, stupid poll. Fallout 2 is one of the better RPGs of all time, especially for its time. Underrail is an impressive effort for a small indie, but as an RPG, it's decent at best, nothing more.

Yaz

Learned
Fallout 2 is worse than Fallout. At least do Fallout to Underrail comparison.

But even so - those are two very different takes on building a game. Would rather have both around.

Cat Dude

Savant
Fallout 2. I didn't spend enough time in my mom's basement to appreciate the complexity of rpg mechanics in Underrail.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Fallout 2 is better in art direction, writing, story, lore, atmosphere and overall design, it's more elegant

Underrail has deeper ruleset, the core systems are bigger, there is more stuff to do, combat is more developed. I don't know if it's more fun, but probably fun for longer periods of time?

But Underrail had 20 years of technology and game development history to learn from. I'd also rather compare Underrail to Arcanum than Fallout.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Fallout

BitCars-1982-Excalibur-Phaeton-2-bitcoin_grande.jpg

Underrail

volkswagen_golf_3_1999_model-1579940933-725-e.jpg

To me this is a valid analogy. Fallout is like an old timer which can go 30 km/h, but you enjoy every moment of it. Underrail is like a middle-low class looking modern car, which can go 140 km/h, and you could probably do more fun stuff with it.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
LoL butthurt faggot,i am surprsied that you are still here. It is time to play the violin on those nice veins of yours,make space for better men :smug:

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I'd also rather compare Underrail to Arcanum than Fallout.
These games have a lot of similarities, but the comparison would be very lopsided. Underrail blows out Arcanum with its combat system, which is similar, but more balanced and fleshed up; Arcanum blows out Underrail with its writing, interactivity and characters.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Fallout 2 obviously. It's got a better story, better worldbuilding ,universe, C&C.

It's hard to top fallout 1+2 in terms of storytelling and overall feel.

Underrail is a great game tho.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom