Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anachronism in RPGs

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
Some RPGs do stuff that are not consistent with "history".
For instance, they put sun glasses in a game that is suppose to be a fantasy in medieval times.
Well, CyberPunk is specifically aimed at that.
But RPGs which are more aimed at fantasy medieval.
Let's say, like Ultima 7.
For instance in Ultima 7 there was some scientist/magician talking about how he found diseases are caused by micro creatures.
But even Ultima, the avatar is traveling from the future(or another dimension).

So, when is it not ok to put "misplaced" itmes/events in an RPG?

Specifically, in my game I have decided to add later in the game "Drak Eye Glass", which is basically looking like sun glasses which protects the player from blindness magic.

Is that kind of thing will ruin the game experience?

What do you think about Anachronism in RPGs?

Metronome

Learned
Nethack had a lot of anachronistic stuff but it worked pretty well. IVAN too. Usually it doesn't bother me because vanilla high fantasy lore bores me to death.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Contrast is a fundamental rule of design, and deliberate but metered anachronism is a manifestation of such.

Unless you're going hard on historical realism then you really shouldn't fret about it so much. It is fantasy after all, and fantasy naturally invites more fantastical and outlandish elements.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I believe your game should be 200% historically accurate, even more so if it's not a historical RPG.
Any less would be a true disgrace.

You're definitely on the right tracks, i can tell.

Harthwain

Magister
Bows don't "fire."
g7fxX0g2LyqjFGdGdg60yHAsU4ikWCXTeRp0C23PvbU.jpg

Dodo1610

Arcane
Gothic 2 had cannons
Though what I really don't understand are antique computers from Vampire Bloodlines while the rest of the world looks like the early 2000s

Varnaan

Augur
The chinese actually created sunglasses using darkened quartz in the 12th century.
I'm sure there are earlier possible examples as well.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
The chinese actually created sunglasses using darkened quartz in the 12th century.
I'm sure there are earlier possible examples as well.
and define sunglasses. Does bark/bone with small holes count?

Varnaan

Augur
and define sunglasses. Does bark/bone with small holes count?
I specifically mean transparent material mounted on a (metal) frame used to hide your eyes/protect them from the sun.
The ancient Greeks and Romans knew about optics, obviously, Nero used emeralds to protect his eyes from the sun and I think it was Seneca that used a glass bowl filled with water to magnify small prints, but the modern glasses blueprint was created by the chinese who exported it to Italy in the late middle ages and the Italians, as far as I know, created the first "corrective" glasses based on the chinese models.

DraQ

Arcane
For instance, they put sun glasses in a game that is suppose to be a fantasy in medieval times.
For instance in Ultima 7 there was some scientist/magician talking about how he found diseases are caused by micro creatures.

Specifically, in my game I have decided to add later in the game "Drak Eye Glass", which is basically looking like sun glasses which protects the player from blindness magic.

So you believe that wizards (actual kind, tossing fireballs and lightning bolts around), dragons, orcs, elves, undead, etc. are consistent with history.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex

So you believe that wizards (actual kind, tossing fireballs and lightning bolts around), dragons, orcs, elves, undead, etc. are consistent with history.

A game should have some sort of internal logic and internal consistency.

Even if you have a game with Wizards and Dragons, it will be kind of weird if the Orcs start a rap battle with the Elves.
Well I mean, I guess it works in WOW.
That's when a game stops being a work of art, and turn into a social phenomena, where nothing needs to make sense and it's just a inconsistent mess.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
This is the sun glasses, looks super cool... but I felt... too much of a gimmick.
I mean, some RPG games have like robots and stuff like that, like in Ys, so it makes sense more to do in those games.
But a game that is consistently medieval tech, except for some magic and monsters... it would be odd.
I mean, could pass somehow... but like... what if I add a Lamborgini? It won't make sense.

screen_1920x1200_2021-01-29_11-15-48.png

Pentium

Learned
Dude, this reminds me of one of the "If this game so realistic" threads on KCD Steam forums where one idiot bitched about the horse's name Rocinante (easter egg) being so wrong because the Quijote novel was written two cents after the game's setting and similarly for the sadist perk, the word "sadism" being of much later origin as well.

He was from UA so you can go easy on him and blame Chernobyl.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Bad example, Ultima VII is about Britannia slowly becoming a modern industrial nation, leaving behind its magical and spiritual roots in the process. Scientific and technological development was an important part of that setting.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
I'm playing Lords of Xulima. The game is set in a medieval fantasy themed world with a different geography than ours. Yet, one of the weapons in the game is Shuriken, a ninja star the thief class can throw. It's the only Japanese word in the entire game as far as I can tell. I have yet to find any katanas, bantos, etc. All other weapons have European names, except Shuriken.

This is an edge case IMO.

EDIT: I got further in the game and now there are katanas and other Asian weapons in the shops.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom