Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Least Favourite RPG Names

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
King's Quest isn't a RPG.

Wait, maybe it is nowadays. I'm confused

Gargaune

Magister
Actually, nevermind. I just loaded up BG3 and it turns out you can fire a bow.

fire-bow.jpg

Remind me, were the Belgae great warriors?

I want to have the thing behind the archer as a playable character!
Generic-Giant-Spider

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The ones I hate the most are those JRPG names with random punctuation like semi-colons (; ) in the middle of the titles or random words and letters just jammed together to mean nothing. There are a variety of these, but for instance: Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth3 V Generation. Seriously, eat a bag of dicks.

Nothing in WRPGs comes close to being as bad, even though something like Mechajammer really craves taking the title. (Is it a mech game full of ECM? A music game starring robots? ... a cyberpunk game?? :|)

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
The ones I hate the most are those JRPG names with random punctuation like semi-colons (; ) in the middle of the titles or random words and letters just jammed together to mean nothing.

Engrish using random words as proper nouns is triggering. Fuck these yellow niggers.

Bix nood except it's kawaii and moe.

Eastwood

Educated
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
I love the game, but I don't really get what the title is supposed to mean and how this relates to the story. Also I think it just sounds plain stupid.

curds

Magister
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
I love the game, but I don't really get what the title is supposed to mean and how this relates to the story. Also I think it just sounds plain stupid.
Holy shit I forgot about this one. I remember cringing at the title way back when I first heard of the game. One of the most uninspired, generic titles of all time. You could use it for a game of almost any genre or setting.

Aarwolf

Learned
Dragon Age: Origins, besides being very generic, it made me think it was a prequel to some really obscure RPG series when I first heard of it.

Playing the game I was like "we are the fucking dragons?!" and there was one, very lame, at the end. So disappointing.

Citizen

I know, played them all, but its like saying Dark Messiah and Heroes are the same series of games, innit? world & setting might be the same, but gameplay is worlds apart.

Whoa whoa, next thing you gonna tell me interplay and bethesda fallouts aren't parts of the same series just because the gameplay is so different?

V_K

Arcane
Dragon Age: Origins, besides being very generic, it made me think it was a prequel to some really obscure RPG series when I first heard of it.

Playing the game I was like "we are the fucking dragons?!" and there was one, very lame, at the end. So disappointing.
Offtopic, but dragons generally should be retired from RPGs. They've been overdone to death in the past decade - Dragon Age, Dragon's Dogma, Skyrim, Dragonfall...

wahrk

Learned
Elex
Greedfall
Steelrising

Combining two words together to make the title is just terrible. It always ends up sounding like some bad fan-fiction.

Also, honorable mention to games where the first game in the series has a title and a subtitle for no apparent reason, like Dragon Age: Origins. Why not just Dragon Age?

vazha

Arcane
I know, played them all, but its like saying Dark Messiah and Heroes are the same series of games, innit? world & setting might be the same, but gameplay is worlds apart.

Whoa whoa, next thing you gonna tell me interplay and bethesda fallouts aren't parts of the same series just because the gameplay is so different?
Oh awright then

curds

Magister
I'm not sure names that are bad on purpose qualify.
I think they should still count. They’re silly on purpose, what makes them bad is the fact that they’re not funny while trying to be.

V_K

Arcane
I think they should still count. They’re silly on purpose, what makes them bad is the fact that they’re not funny while trying to be.

That sums up my impression of Frayed Knights (not having played it).
It's not aggressively bad, writing-wise, and anyway it's blobber - you don't play those for writing. Level design and character building in FK are quite decent.

Rieser

Scholar
Everything I don't even know how to fucking pronounce because it's a made up word/name. Also games with a subtitle - especially games that aren't even a sequel.

Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem
Dungeons of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos (fuck off)

Two examples of games that are guilty of both. A good title is short, relevant and doesn't use lore names. Like Jagged Alliance.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker

That sums up my impression of Frayed Knights (not having played it).
It's not aggressively bad, writing-wise, and anyway it's blobber - you don't play those for writing. Level design and character building in FK are quite decent.
Frayed Knights has the best fate points implementation ever, which made dungeon crawling pretty tense without resorting to limited savepoints or hardcore permadeath mechanics, and allowed the implementation of traps, lock picking minigames and some status effects that would otherwise be immediately savescummed by most players. Despite its lack of party creation and lame sense of humor, the game deserves way more love than what it gets around here.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Best game with worst name is Evil Islands: Curse of the Lost Soul.
The original is Проклятые земли which is more or less "Cursed Lands". Generic, but not quite as funny as EVIL Islands.

Anything that's impossible to spell, like Naheulbeuk, is annoying. Although in this case it's an existing property, so they probably had no choice but to have it in the name.

Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel and Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel being two entirely different games.

Disgaea sounds like some sort of stomach medicine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom