Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
OpenTTD is coming to Steam.

Relic Space, spaceship roguelike:

ss_97f88c1cfe584b2fa9ac7efe31c3e44e613ee090.600x338.jpg
ss_3df5526f828137ed2a7fa587ebd02081ee0daddc.600x338.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Another preservation of Flash games

Welcome to Berzerk Flashback*, an anthology of pretty much all the Flash games we still have the source code for.

You can now play your favorite Berzerk time wasters from a decade ago, Berzerk Ball, Sands of the Coliseum, Frantic Frigates, Gunbot, you name it! All safe from the grasp of whoever is trying to take Flash games away from us.

We freed all the games from their microtransactions and ads, only pure, innocent games here, well, as innocent as games about war, gladiators, all around violence and eating animal proteins can be.

BZA_HeaderTitle_02.gif

• Mechanical commando
  • Hero's Arms
  • Swordless Ninja
  • Trap Master
  • Mechanical Commando 2
  • Homerun in Berzerk Land
  • The Breach
  • Gunbot
  • Frantic Frigates
  • Delivery Man
  • Rocket Santa
  • Nuclear Justice 2084
  • Sands of the Coliseum
  • Rocket Santa 2
  • Berzerk Ball 2
  • The Peacekeeper
  • BattleCry
  • Sky Quest

BZA_HeaderTitle_03.gif

• Also included is a bunch of sideprojects and unreleased lolities,like I dunno, the Just Shapes & Beats prototype and Frantic Frigates 2.

Hope these little time capsules of a simpler time bring you as much joy as they did back then!

*Get it... Flashback... because like... it's flash games... that we're bringing back... f l a s h b a c k

Call me jaded, but I think waiting a bit after release might be the move here.
Too late, already mega-preordered by Kickstarting it.
:kingcomrade:

To be honest though I've got a strong suspicion I won't like it as much as Kingmaker. Epic level bullcrap is always the worst part of D&D, and Kingmaker's strengths were in the interpretation of the modules rather than having especially good writing or anything itself. But it was $28 so what the hell.

Edit hours later: I'll be goddamned, Wrath of the Righteous is a module series too. For some reason I thought it was Owlcat's own thing all this fucking time. Glad to see it though.

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
Been trying some of the Demos again... not as much good stuff seemingly as some of the past "Game Festivals". Been through entire categories like Multiplayer, CoOp, VR etc. without much of anything new standing out.

What I've tried so far:

Touch Type Tale: It's a German RTS game on an overland map where everything you do from collecting resources, hiring workers, building, to sending troops to fight and take over new areas is controlled by typing words out on your keyboard. The Voice-overs seems to be a Placeholder for now by one of the developers. The faster you can type, the faster you'll get shit done. Can get quite hard on the higher difficulties.
20210204153533_11ejiw.jpg

Slender Threads: Surreal Point&Click Adventure game set in a dilapidated town. You play a writer visiting said town in search for inspiration and there's Horror-y stuff happening around you and a seeming Murder mystery. Has a bit of a Lovecraftian vibe to it with strange and odd people. Short and interesting enough.
20210204160030_1wljl2.jpg

Retro Machina: Rather beautiful top-down 2D ARPG about a malfunctioning robot in Art Deco style. There seem to be different areas, Upgrade Power-ups to find, Puzzles etc. One of the ones I liked the most and Wishlisted.
20210204235008_1opkqv.jpg

Narita Boy: Some sort of Psychedelic Retro 80s Jump&Run harking back to TRON where you jump into a Computer world and have to save it from the Big Bad. Art Style/Presentation is definitely its strong point, maybe a bit too much exposition, but was one of the better showings.
20210205003737_1bfk97.jpg

TASOMACHI: Behind the Twilight: Some VERY Meh and janky Japanese Indie Jump&Run in 3D where you can also fly a hot air balloon in the overland map at the beginning. It has a time limit, didn't really even get the point or large mechanics of it before it was over. It automatically starts in Japanese btw. and you have to manually switch it to English, which is an early indication of the larger state the game is in.
20210204232419_1vmjom.jpg

Any other Must Play's?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Gladiator Guild Manager is also looking great. Once I started the "Prologue" (demo) I couldn't stop until an hour later when there were no more arenas to conquer.
Hire and equip units, size up your opponents, plan your strategy, place your team and watch them fight. Rinse and repeat with different, randomized enemy combinations every time. Optional hardcore mode where once a unit falls, it is gone forever. Gosh darn good fun, probably a D1P for me although it seems a long way from release.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Gladiator Guild Manager is also looking great. Once I started the "Prologue" (demo) I couldn't stop until an hour later when there were no more arenas to conquer.
Hire and equip units, size up your opponents, plan your strategy, place your team and watch them fight. Rinse and repeat with different, randomized enemy combinations every time. Optional hardcore mode where once a unit falls, it is gone forever. Gosh darn good fun, probably a D1P for me although it seems a long way from release.

For anyone interested in gladiator rpg/sims I suggest they give a look at Battles of Norghan, a commercial release heavily influenced by the Finnish glad rpg/sim series, Areena. BoN is mechanically quite deep and doesn't have the cartoony graphics that this game has, if that's a deal breaker. It's also turn based whereas this seems to be real time.

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, while Battles of Norghan looks like a fine turn-based tactical, Gladiator Guild Manager is nothing like that. You literally place your units and click Start Battle, then you sit and watch them fight using their own AI; you don't control them. Also the AI isn't bad at all, for example your archers will try to get an angle to shoot the enemy wizards while your knights try to block incoming arrows.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Been trying some of the Demos again... not as much good stuff seemingly as some of the past "Game Festivals". Been through entire categories like Multiplayer, CoOp, VR etc. without much of anything new standing out.

What I've tried so far:

Touch Type Tale: It's a German RTS game on an overland map where everything you do from collecting resources, hiring workers, building, to sending troops to fight and take over new areas is controlled by typing words out on your keyboard. The Voice-overs seems to be a Placeholder for now by one of the developers. The faster you can type, the faster you'll get shit done. Can get quite hard on the higher difficulties.
20210204153533_11ejiw.jpg

Slender Threads: Surreal Point&Click Adventure game set in a dilapidated town. You play a writer visiting said town in search for inspiration and there's Horror-y stuff happening around you and a seeming Murder mystery. Has a bit of a Lovecraftian vibe to it with strange and odd people. Short and interesting enough.
20210204160030_1wljl2.jpg

Retro Machina: Rather beautiful top-down 2D ARPG about a malfunctioning robot in Art Deco style. There seem to be different areas, Upgrade Power-ups to find, Puzzles etc. One of the ones I liked the most and Wishlisted.
20210204235008_1opkqv.jpg

Narita Boy: Some sort of Psychedelic Retro 80s Jump&Run harking back to TRON where you jump into a Computer world and have to save it from the Big Bad. Art Style/Presentation is definitely its strong point, maybe a bit too much exposition, but was one of the better showings.
20210205003737_1bfk97.jpg

TASOMACHI: Behind the Twilight: Some VERY Meh and janky Japanese Indie Jump&Run in 3D where you can also fly a hot air balloon in the overland map at the beginning. It has a time limit, didn't really even get the point or large mechanics of it before it was over. It automatically starts in Japanese btw. and you have to manually switch it to English, which is an early indication of the larger state the game is in.
20210204232419_1vmjom.jpg

Any other Must Play's?

This is basically Mount&Blade, but instead of large scale land combat, its smaller scale naval combat. Also its a VR game, but also has a poorfag mode.

Latelistener

Arcane
2K weekend sale and some interesting deals

XCOM 2 is 92% off, biggest discount yet

XCOM 2 Collection is still $19.99. I would recommend against buying XCOM 2 separately and purchasing XCOM 2 Collection on other sites instead (it was sold for $16 on Gamebillet recently).

Also worth noting that the price of the Collection is going down.

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/xcomiicollection/history/
https://gg.deals/pack/xcom-2-collection/

Another option is to buy the game and the expansion and ignore everything else.

Dexter

Arcane
No Place for Bravery: It's essentially a Conan Pixel ARPG. Music is cool, art style exaggerated and over the top at times. Combat is a bit finicky but kinda works, you get Sword+Shield and a Big Hammer for the Demo. Still a bit buggy and unbalanced.
20210205113540_1smjed.jpg

Children of Silentown: Art style seemed intriguing at first with hints of Horror, but what is there in the Demo is a really simplistic and a bit childish Point&Click Adventure that's Touch device friendly e.g. one Click does everything.
20210205124404_1buk1v.jpg

20210205124020_17xk8v.jpg
20210205124755_1aqj11.jpg
20210205130634_1t0knn.jpg

Sands of Aura: Good-looking Unreal-based top-down ARPG (that isn't very good though). It's trying to do a "Dark Souls" thing, but with bells instead of bonfires (you save and get 5 bells rejuvenated that can heal you, but all monsters reappear). Combat and a lot of the mechanics seem poor so far. If you play it with Keyboard&Mouse they bound everything to QWERTY and you can't rebind it, Q is Heal and E/R/Y are Special Attack/Cleanse/Spellsword. "Cleanse" is some sort of retarded mechanic where you have to "clean" your sword after every 3-4 Mobs or you do much reduced damage and Spellsword turns your weapon flaming/lightning for a brief period depending on the rune you embed. Trash-mobs aren't really a challenge at all, area bosses a bit too much so. More importantly it's kinda boring. At the end of the Demo you get a Sand-ship you can sail around on for a few brief moments before the Demo ends giving you an idea why it's named "Sands of Aura".
20210205144906_10jjyu.jpg

20210205131829_13ojkg.jpg
20210205132229_1t3jvr.jpg
20210205135733_1epkud.jpg
20210205140441_125kkc.jpg
20210205145006_1wsksd.jpg
20210205145220_1p6kyq.jpg
20210205145603_1f0k3b.jpg
20210205151212_199j02.jpg
20210205154033_1ofkjl.jpg
20210205154050_1okkk8.jpg

Trail of Ayash: This is like a REALLY shitty Amateur Risen where you plays as an Injun. Controls are cryptic, UI is worse, there's no animations while talking etc. Quests are bugged, AI and combat is pretty shitty. I really wouldn't have released a Demo in this state, but it's apparently entirely made by two East Yuros:
20210205164128_1uskqc.jpg

20210205170624_1gqjde.jpg

20210205173523_19hkop.jpg

20210205180410_1fkjhv.jpg

I got stuck in a "Spellcasting Mode" trying to crawl under a log and only managed to get out of it via Trial&Error (Pressing the Number keys puts you in it and the only way to get out of it is pressing R). After trying that for a while I forgot what the key for highlighting items (holding down V instead of just pressing it which enables Eagle vision) was and had to figure that out again. I tried equipping the Tomahawk you pick up right at the beginning and couldn't get it to work, tried clicking on, double-clicking the item in the inventory, tried dragging it over the Paperdoll to the right and it dropped it on the ground instead, pressing different keys etc. and nothing worked. (It was RMB over the item in the inventory to equip).

I somehow got locked out of the inventory screen where the items are to the left and the character portrait to the right while attempting to equip items and couldn't get back to it. (Pressing "C" apparently changes the inventory screen into a Stat screen and only pressing "C" again which isn't displayed anywhere can get you back to the Inventory screen). I tried going to the objective marker for the village and got locked in combat without a clue about how to equip weapons still, luckily the enemy apparently didn't know how to climb ladders, I figured out it was RMB right after this:
EOWbyql.jpg

I somehow managed to get to Level 2 and up to 4 by killing hostile Injuns spamming LMB, but have no idea how to Lvl Up or how Skills work (Clicking around on anything here does absolutely nothing, I found out after I was already done with the game that it's something that again only works using RMB):
2oPm8sN.jpg

You have to switch between Primary and Secondary weapons using T for Bow and R for Melee for some reason. I completed a Quest about some missing guy and was suddenly teleported to the water halfway across the map mid conversation. Another Quest called "Tradition" that had me "find a treasure" by pressing V to activate "Injun Sense" near where the Quest marker was says "Bring the valuables back", but the Dialogue Option is greyed out:
yYRg7H6.jpg

I made it to some glaciers, I did a Quest where you have to find bear meat and kill something that can best be described as a Minecrawler from Gothic, on my way back it said to talk to Innawanid, but the conversation didn't trigger no matter what I did:
8eM59pj.jpg

All of that aside from other obvious stuff like a long time to load textures, missing animations while talking, shitty animations while jumping, tough to maneuver just right to be able to hit "E" to talk to people or pick up items, most of the Quests being either Fetch or Kill Quests etc. Not exactly great first impressions.

Dream Engines: Nomad Cities: You got a Hero character Bot that can attack Melee and Ranged. You have to build an industrialized city, build workflow pipelines to create food, different kinds of planks, stonemasons for stones etc. while having to keep an eye out for your Energy/Food and Population balance. Every now and then hordes of enemies attack the city and you have to defend it with your Bot Hero and/or build defenses like towers and walls to do it for you. The shtick of the game is that if things get too hairy with the Mobs that appear in ever larger numbers over time there's a "GTFO" key where you move all your important infrastructure to the main city platform (within weight limit) and take off with your flying city to land somewhere more calm and start anew, although you have to leave everything behind that you build outside of it. It's kinda fun but maybe a bit too autistic for me.
20210207165317_1d2kx7.jpg

I tried a few minutes of The Last Spell, very crunchy JRPG-style TBT. The death metal soundtrack is a major con imo but gameplay left me wanting more.
I saw that and it looked somewhat interesting, but the premise of having to protect a "spell" going on in the middle of the area you have to defend and having to build walls and traps and whatnot so enemies don't get there almost sounds like Tower Defense and I'm semi-allergic to the "Rogue-like" moniker. Maybe I'll try it.

is there a thread for loop hero?
its out?
There's a Demo: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1282730/Loop_Hero/

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
I tried a few minutes of The Last Spell, very crunchy JRPG-style TBT. The death metal soundtrack is a major con imo but gameplay left me wanting more.
I saw that and it looked somewhat interesting, but the premise of having to protect a "spell" going on in the middle of the area you have to defend and having to build walls and traps and whatnot so enemies don't get there almost sounds like Tower Defense and I'm semi-allergic to the "Rogue-like" moniker. Maybe I'll try it.
Yeah, tower defense is part of the idea - if you hate TD you probably won't like this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom