Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer III

Mazisky

Magister
I'm glad they are doing as many races as possible, but the inclusion of fantasy china in the initial factions does not bode well for the game imo. Until now the base races were all actual races from the setting, not single paragraph throw away references. Meh.
It also means that stuff I was really looking forward to like the Ogre Kingdoms and Chaos Dwarfs which actually had army books will probably be DLC and possibly years into the future.

I think they will come earlier than u expect.

One of them will be the preorder race (they confirmed there is one), so it means it will be there at launch already. The other will be 100% the first dlc, so we will have both within 1 year after launch

zapotec

Liturgist
If they don't put the Ogre Kingdoms and Chaos Dwarf in the base game then the new map will be pratically full of placeholder factions... it does not make sense.
They will reveal them later.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
So no Chaos Dorfs or Ogre Kangdoms in the main game? wtf
I think thats a good thing. Being a post-release faction means they generally get more attention when they actually hit the game, similar to how Tomb Kings were a much better faction on release than most of the TW2 release factions like lizardmen/skaven.

tabacila

Augur
If they don't put the Ogre Kingdoms and Chaos Dwarf in the base game then the new map will be pratically full of placeholder factions... it does not make sense.
Well they mention 9 LLs at start. Let's say that's 1 for each chaos god, 2 for Kislev and 2 for Cathay and 1 either for undivided chaos or the mysterious other power mentioned on steam (Nagash?). They are already saying they have more starting rages than other TW Warhammer games because they are probably counting each god as a separate race.
They also mention that their focus at the beginning is on the WH3 campaign proper and not the bighuge combined map that will come later(TM). They mentioned the Chaos Realms and the two human kingdoms/empires at each end of that realm. It seems to me that the problem of a empty map is a problem for the suckers that bought all their games to have that huge combined map.
Ogre Kingdoms or Chaos Dwarfs may be the early adopter bonus race, but that doesn't really bode well for them. I mean Norsca never got any content after release.
Come to think of it, I could actually see the Chaos Dwarfs be the pre-release race since they didn't have any army books in the later editions.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
The other lord could be for a reworked warriors of chaos or chaos undivided.

zapotec

Liturgist
Well they mention 9 LLs at start. Let's say that's 1 for each chaos god, 2 for Kislev and 2 for Cathay and 1 either for undivided chaos or the mysterious other power mentioned on steam (Nagash?). They are already saying they have more starting rages than other TW Warhammer games because they are probably counting each god as a separate race.
They also mention that their focus at the beginning is on the WH3 campaign proper and not the bighuge combined map that will come later(TM). They mentioned the Chaos Realms and the two human kingdoms/empires at each end of that realm. It seems to me that the problem of a empty map is a problem for the suckers that bought all their games to have that huge combined map.
Ogre Kingdoms or Chaos Dwarfs may be the early adopter bonus race, but that doesn't really bode well for them. I mean Norsca never got any content after release.
Come to think of it, I could actually see the Chaos Dwarfs be the pre-release race since they didn't have any army books in the later editions.

tc938eoyz563.png

This could be the map that represent the main campaign of the third game. As you can see Kislev is on the north-west corner while Cathay is on the Far East side of the map.
What the fuck you put in the middle?

A horse of course

tc938eoyz563.png

This could be the map that represent the main campaign of the third game. As you can see Kislev is on the north-west corner while Cathay is on the Far East side of the map.

DLC placeholders

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Well, its one army for each Chaos God, Kislev, Cathay. Thats already 6 factions, 2 more than both TW1 and TW2 had.

As far as LLs are concerned: 1 LL each for the monogod factions (Kairos, Skarbrand, N'kari and Ku'gath) 2 for Kislev/Cathay (Katrin/Boris, maybe Dragon Emperor + Monkey King for Cathay) and then that leaves Be'lakor as a big question mark. He could be part of the already existing chaos faction, vying with Archaon for becoming the Everchosen himself.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I don't know. How did araby look in wh2 before the tomb kings dlc? Placeholder vamp counts?. Could also be they will make the middle part of the map smaller than it looks. Kislev in mortal empires is like 4 settlements, so I assume they will get an expanded area.

A horse of course

I don't know. How did araby look in wh2 before the tomb kings dlc? Placeholder vamp counts?. Could also be they will make the middle part of the map smaller than it looks. Kislev in mortal empires is like 4 settlements, so I assume they will get an expanded area.

Yes, Araby was all Bret/Vampire placeholders on release.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
They could cut out most of the bottom half and still include Kislev as well as Cathay. If we go by the map shown in the trailer, the perspective might be quite different than to what you posted, with all 3 major players already having their "figures" on where they will be put on the map.

03ac32c81b.jpg

zapotec

Liturgist
I guess you are right guys, so the next question is:
Did they decide to implement Cathay so they can re-use the assets from Three-Kingdoms:lol:?

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Did they decide to implement Cathay so they can re-use the assets from Three-Kingdoms:lol:?
They decided to do it because its an interesting concept that is likely to increase the appeal of the game in the Chinese market.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

3K isn't actually bad. I hope they revamp diplomacy in W3 to make it on par with 3K.

tabacila

Augur
They decided to do it because its an interesting concept that is likely to increase the appeal of the game in the Chinese market.
Yeah they probably think they'll sell a lot more if China has a fantasy variant in game, especially since they saw that 3k sold quite well in bat eating lands.
I'm ok with Cathay being in the game as long as they don't try to make them fantasy China numba one and be all perfect. All other human factions in Warhammer are deeply flawed societies based on caricature European nations/periods.
Hopefully they'll make Cathay a pastiche of some Chinese imperial era with good and bad parts, not just a grorious, all knowing and perfect nation of social order.

3K isn't actually bad. I hope they revamp diplomacy in W3 to make it on par with 3K.
The diplomacy is a big step up compared to Warhammer, but the recruitment system really killed 3K for me. It also couldn't decide what it wanted to be, fantasy or history, and ended being some inbetween lukewarm fantasy lite. Just like Troy. Pick a lane and go wild with it.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Is Total War: WARHAMMER III going to be set during the End Times and feature stuff from Age of Sigmar?
No, as with Total War: WARHAMMER and Total War: WARHAMMER II, Total War: WARHAMMER III is set around the reign of Karl Franz. Our primary source is Warhammer Fantasy Battles 8th Edition, although we have and will continue to use older editions for inspiration where appropriate.
AHAHAHAHAH, noretarded degeneracy of End Times and Age of Sigmar, just pure Fantasy Battles

copebot

Learned
3K does a lot of things well (diplomacy, cavalry being good because of impact damage, sieges being more interesting than WH2), and other things not so well. It shares the issue with Warhammer that melee infantry is fairly useless. The base game tech tree is also bad (takes way too long), but this was improved somewhat in the DLC campaigns. I actually had fun with Troy, but I didn't play more than one campaign because the unit balance was broken at least at launch. If you ran into a chariot spam army, there's just nothing even high tier spears or javelins could do to them. Your whole army would just get killed. You could bring 2 stacks to their 1 of chariot spam and you would still lose. And you could do the same thing to the AI. Troy does have a fun religion system and some good faction mechanics. The economic system is unique, but unfortunately sort of broken as trading/extorting the AI is far more productive than getting resource income through settlements.

WH1 launched with Empire, Greenskins, Vampire Counts, and Dwarfs. It added 3 more with DLC. WH2 launched with High Elves, Dark Elves, Lizardmen, and Skaven with Norsca as preorder DLC. Two new races were added as DLC, and there were many reworks over all the lord pack DLCs. WH3 will launch with 6 core races + 1 from preorder DLC. At launch, then, WH3 will have 20 playable races, each with at least 2 lord choices and a bunch with over 4-5.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Good news. At least they aren't going full Age of Sigmar Derp

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom