Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Poll] CRPG nomenclature - 'character' or 'toon'?

What do you call the player character in CRPGs?

• Character

• Toon

• Kingcomrade

Results are only viewable after voting.
Vatnik Wumao
So which one does the 'dex prefer and why?

From a storyfag perspective, I dislike the term 'toon' since it overemphasizes the visual (+/- mechanical) aspect(s) of the player character to the detriment of the narrative role which the PC likewise plays in (most) single player CRPGs.

I'm guessing that it first found usage within MMORPG terminology (where it'd make most sense) before being applied to single player CRPG protagonists, but anyhow: character >>> toon.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

From a storyfag perspective, I dislike the term 'toon' since it overemphasizes the visual (+/- mechanical) aspect(s) of the player character to the detriment of the narrative role which the PC likewise plays in (most) single player CRPGs.

I'm guessing that it first found usage within MMORPG terminology (where it'd make most sense) before being applied to single player CRPG protagonists, but anyhow: character >>> toon.

AFAIK, "toon" is a word that was only used for a while with MMOs.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

AFAIK, "toon" is a word that was only used for a while with MMOs.

What would you suggest? It's used for all playable characters, not just the MC.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"Toon"? What the fuck is this, Saturday morning cartoon shows? I'm playing an RPG, not some kind of cartoon. Who even came up with this? I never heard it before. It's not used in pen and paper and it's not used in classic CRPGs and it's not used in modern action RPGs either. I never heard any other term than "character" being used to refer to your character.

"Toon" makes me think of this:
3840.jpg

And not of this:
Boris-Vallejo-Standing-Tall.jpg

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Every time I see someone refer to their character as a toon, I feel like lobotomizing myself.

Vatnik Wumao
Magnat wtf have you been smoking?
:nocountryforshitposters:
Part of it is the progression and getting your toon or party of toons levelled up and stronger, this is a big part of it. I also love exploring places, cities, dungeons and caverns, wilderness, so I love that a lot in an RPG.
I have been thinking a lot lately, about something i noticed about myself. I have tried many times to play supposed "incline" isometric crpgs, like DOS 1 and 2, Pathfinder Kingmaker, PoE 2 Deadfire, Atom RPG, Tyranny, Underrail, Wasteland 2 etc but i just can't progress after a certain point because i want to cut my wrists from boredom. [...] All is decided at character creation and scripting and every time i get a new armor or weapon. Afterwards in most battles i just let my toons do their thing.
Age of Decdence is very good because you can make nonviable toon.
Fallout 2 people will discriminate on your toon
Well at least it means they will be working on NWN2 and its expansions.
Hopefully they can fix NWN2 being fucking resource hog and garbage camera.
Yeah. That resource hog thing is a big problem for me and my ancient rig. Game jerks whenever the toon moves or the camera angle turns. PITA.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom