Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

vazha

Arcane
There's the Zealot path if you want to be THAT kind of barbarian.

In all honesty, 5e might be the first ever edition where barbarians as a class have been dealt a fair hand, so it would be a shame if all we end up with is a bodybuilder having a heart seizure after too much exertion.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Meaning for the barbarian, we'd have the path of berserker only, and we'd need to homebrew additional paths.
May I suggest the Path of the ERYFKRAD?

MjjCmfU.png

Paging Generic-Giant-Spider.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Listen to me.

ERYFKRAD is a hustler, a back alley hooligan. I saw this goon sell pocket watches off the inside lining of his trenchcoat one time. This man does not, will not, and will never ever kill a spider. And you can come at me with, "oh but GGS, you're just a shitty trash mob and he's a barbarian" and that's true but let's look at this academically:

1) Barbarians are usually nearly naked, meaning their body is exposed to all matter of gashes and cuts. Easy for poison to seep into and no, muscles don't prevent your bloodstream getting phukt.

2) Barbarians are loud, they yell and holler and announce to everyone they're coming. Already any element of surprise is lost and you gotta come into MY territory. Tons of bullshit traps to go through, real narrow corridors, put up thick webbing at the end of the corridors and tire 'em out. Half the reason a spider lands a kill is because by the time you get to one you felt like you ran a marathon. I've seen ERYFKRAD smoke, he got no cardio for my cave.

3) While some arachnophobes fear the general look of a spider (dunno why, literally just a house cat with extra limbs and less jumping on countertops) the real fear comes from people's innate paranoia that at any point in their day, somewhere out there, an arachnid is watching them. This is true. Taking a shower? I'm there. Taking out the garbage? I'm there. Throwing a frisbee for the dog? I'm there. Even when you fuck your wife I'm there. I'm always around. In fact, even as I type this I'm being watched. But you know what? I likes it. I wants it. Can someone like ERYFKRAD deal with knowing that if he does kill even one spider, then he will incur the wrath of the mafia waiting in every crevice, dark corner and forgotten bookshelf? No one can. How do you think old people die? Heart attacks? Sounds cute, but no. I killed all y'all grandmamas because she got too nosy in the basement. That's hard facts. I'm straight cold blooded.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
ERYFKRAD deal with knowing that if he does kill even one spider, then he will incur the wrath of the mafia waiting in every crevice, dark corner and forgotten bookshelf?
Sweet, I thought having to find spiders and get them riled was gonna be time consuming and but I guess that problem just solved itself.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Listen to me.

ERYFKRAD is a hustler, a back alley hooligan. I saw this goon sell pocket watches off the inside lining of his trenchcoat one time. This man does not, will not, and will never ever kill a spider. And you can come at me with, "oh but GGS, you're just a shitty trash mob and he's a barbarian" and that's true but let's look at this academically:

1) Barbarians are usually nearly naked, meaning their body is exposed to all matter of gashes and cuts. Easy for poison to seep into and no, muscles don't prevent your bloodstream getting phukt.

2) Barbarians are loud, they yell and holler and announce to everyone they're coming. Already any element of surprise is lost and you gotta come into MY territory. Tons of bullshit traps to go through, real narrow corridors, put up thick webbing at the end of the corridors and tire 'em out. Half the reason a spider lands a kill is because by the time you get to one you felt like you ran a marathon. I've seen ERYFKRAD smoke, he got no cardio for my cave.

3) While some arachnophobes fear the general look of a spider (dunno why, literally just a house cat with extra limbs and less jumping on countertops) the real fear comes from people's innate paranoia that at any point in their day, somewhere out there, an arachnid is watching them. This is true. Taking a shower? I'm there. Taking out the garbage? I'm there. Throwing a frisbee for the dog? I'm there. Even when you fuck your wife I'm there. I'm always around. In fact, even as I type this I'm being watched. But you know what? I likes it. I wants it. Can someone like ERYFKRAD deal with knowing that if he does kill even one spider, then he will incur the wrath of the mafia waiting in every crevice, dark corner and forgotten bookshelf? No one can. How do you think old people die? Heart attacks? Sounds cute, but no. I killed all y'all grandmamas because she got too nosy in the basement. That's hard facts. I'm straight cold blooded.
smash.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tacticaladventures/solasta-crown-of-the-magister/posts/3089185

Kickstarter Rewards - February Update

Hi there you beautiful people!

Today we'll be talking about something a little different than usual - we're going to be showing the advancement of our Kickstarter rewards (both digital and physical). While not everyone may be directly affected by it, you might still find it interesting to know how certain things came to be in the final game!

86fb7c4185fda9f1cee358dca8e5c8ae_original.png

When kitty demands attention, work can wait.

Stretch Goals
If you've launched Solasta recently, you know that most stretch goals such as the additional classes (Paladin & Ranger), backgrounds (Lawkeeper & Academic) and ancestry (Half-Elf) are already available in-game. But what about the rest?

Full Orchestral OST: For those who aren't following us on Twitter, you probably aren't aware that we've just started our orchestral recording a few days ago. Percussions, brass instruments, wind instruments and cord instruments (as well as vocals) will be recorded separately over the next week - and with a bit of luck, we should be able to share with you a behind-the-scene video made by our audio partner G4F! In the meantime, enjoy a few pictures from the first recording sessions.

8f6a0cd27192e2534b8b847117ef38d7_original.png

Drums are done, brass instruments are next!

Epic Quest: As this optional quest will pit you against the monster voted for by the community during the Kickstarter Campaign - a very dangerous CR 11 Remorhaz, it should not be attempted until during the later stages of the game. In its current iteration (remember that before the game launches in 1.0 there are always chances that changes can be made), you will be teaming up with good old Merton to venture deep into the Badlands, into the temple of a long forgotten god...

997c5180645bc10f9beeaab1cf8de14a_original.jpg

Think of the treasure though! Riches beyond imagination, power beyond belief!

Sorcerer Class: As a reminder, we have promised the Sorcerer as a free post-launch DLC - and we haven't forgotten about it! In the months following the 1.0 release of Solasta: Crown of the Magister, we will be working on releasing the Sorcerer class - along with other things...

8fbcdd419301be98b9e3af8f8180a6b8_original.png

The winds of magic welcome the Draconic Bloodlines, the Mana Painters and the Children of the Rift.

Digital Backer Rewards
World Map Digital File: Someone once said "Explorers are never lost, they just do accidental field work" - and trust me, you're going to be doing a lot of field work in the Badlands. Keep in mind that the World Map will only cover the regions explored in Solasta: Crown of the Magister, the actual world of Solasta is actually much vaster than that.

6130c236a315d5d5c1b2c6fce337f09e_original.png

Current version of the .PSD file which will be made available at launch to backers (missing labels and locations for now).

Monument of the Dead: The Cataclysm left many unsung heroes in its wake - be it brave soldiers who stood against the Soraks, unwavering healers who treated uncountable wounded people or selfless travelers who stayed behind to guide as many refugees as they could. While most were forgotten with the passage of time, some names were recorded and engraved into the Monument of the Dead.

2620c37d17e9284571672409acbe98f5_original.jpg

3D Concept Art of the Monument of the Dead which will appear in-game, where the name of some backers will be engraved

Dev Documents: Those lucky enough to have the Dev Documents in their Tier rewards will get a selection of various behind-the-scene files to enjoy. Note that there is a lot of very, very bad humour and french puns. Consider yourself warned.

1cb016c3193c316397e960eb5451a079_original.PNG

Yes, that is a legit slide from one of our bi-weekly internal reviews. We do love our pets and memes.

Backer Character Creator Names: Here is the backers' addition to the random names generated in the Character Creator. Note that they will only appear depending on the gender and ancestry of the character - and keep in mind that changes can always happen between now and the 1.0 release.
  • Dwarf (6): Fauffy (M), Yock Forgehand (F), Znork (M), Dilligaff Barleybrew (M), Kolgar Stoutshield (M), Jovelin Folin (M)
  • Human (9): Wicking (M), Bronlar (M), Piotr (M), Cressen Knightshield (M), Aryas Drayson (M), Mason Storm (M), Frank (M), Hunter Marlon (M), Alderbranch (M)
  • Elf (9): Ravoprax Ragthroknar (M), Synria Boldeye (F), Lianore (F), Kelos Niejnef (M), Phoebe Anne (F), Beriiel Norstern (F), Sonea Sonata (F), Eolann Medihir (M), Celeste Ashvale (F)
  • Half-Elf (8): Allen Reed (M), Maiwen Malmanche (F), Henry Olfborn (M), Volkus Ferrum (M), Sarcan Dosa (M), Ilofared Leafheart (M), Faolan (M), Corthyn Tanael (M)
  • Halfling (5): Edmund Tupps (M), Zoe Woolley (F), Dark Owen (M), Sable (F), Serenrae Luz (F)
Backer NPC Names: Here are the 20 NPCs you will be meeting during your journey that were named by backers (changes may yet occur): Karel Martel, Gorim Ironsoot, Hugo Requer, Bagmordah, Verissa Ironshell, Bradford Ravensworth, Kebra, Rogrok, Estalla Mertvykh, Lizzaria, Adam the Twelfth, Circe Geraoidin, Elderen, Kythaela Wildspring, Gromnir Stonefist, Razan Holarant, Atma Bladeburn, Bitterroot, Mogo the Poor, Mardracht.

023a146aca8d8b677f92887a4ed13ff1_original.PNG

Welcome to Gorim's Emporium, held by the one and only Gorim Ironsoot.

Backer Location Names: The 4 locations named by backers are the tavern (Gravekeep's Cask), the road between Masgarth and the Badlands (Copperhead Road), as well as two yet undisclosed locations (Sentharyllian & Hickory Corner Wood).

519857d9e9c28a62e4354da47d454ef9_original.PNG

You arrive at the tavern of the... uh... Drowned... Crow... Yea... Improvising names is my bane as a DM.

Backer NPC Faces: There are 2 NPCs whose face will be based on pictures sent by backers, but for now they are still being worked on!

eabd434e0cf32883da2666810a9cfa9a_original.PNG

Hey there chap, you know who you are! Or at least I hope...

Backer Magic Items: There are currently 2 magic items created by backers - powerful items that you will likely be finding later in the game. One of them, the Staff of Metis, has already been completed, while the other (the Cog of Cohh) is still being worked on.

bcd32616d4f7977ace2bcb032faca401_original.png

Concept Art for different versions of the Staff of Metis

Backer Statue: There will be one statue in-game based on a backer. We haven't quite decided where to place it yet, but it won't be hard to find!

28130283f3764f20cde019df7fec5a9c_original.png

Testing different textures in-game with the statue, as it dates from before the Cataclysm

Physical Backer Rewards
As a reminder, physical rewards will be sent within 3 months of the game's 1.0 release. This is still quite a fair bit away, so please bear with us!

Solasta Setting Sourcebook: Sporting a hefty 80,000 words, the Solasta Setting Sourcebook is currently being reviewed and edited before going into layout (to make it look good). With tons of information about the different factions and countries, the history of this broken world and its inhabitants - but also large sections covering the new Solastan archetypes and ancestries adapted to tabletop - this book should quench your curiosity regarding the setting in which Solasta: Crown of the Magister takes place. Take note that there will be quite a large amount of design changes in the gameplay sections compared to the video game in order to take into accounts the intricacies of tabletop implications, such as the ability to multiclass and balancing with existing archetypes in mind.

705567362b537a797f8e7489bb4adcd2_original.PNG

We can't wait to show you the final product! This is going to be fantastic!

Adventure Box: The Adventure Box, containing all you need to run the short level 1-4 adventure The Ruins of Carillach Gar, is also still being finalized. The 16,000 words (40+ pages) adventure booklet itself has already been reviewed and validated - and will soon be going into Layout. It will also include pre-made characters you know and love - Vigdis, Violet, Garrad and Rhuad, the party from the Kickstarter Demo The Ruins of Telema (which chronologically happens after The Ruins of Carillach Gar).

986869c1c8d55e4fe811dbc79a1ac8ca_original.png

The Kickstarter crew is back in action! Of course you can also roll your own characters for this adventure if you prefer.

Paintings: A few backers will also receive a painting from our Art Director! Here is the first one he painted quite some time ago, our good old fighter Garrad.

1b9c5de35ce913fd2b05714680581d89_original.png

I'm really impatient to see how the other members of the team will turn out!

And that's it! There are a few other rewards which we haven't talked about, such as the OST vinyl or the small magic items, but as we don't have anything to show for these at the moment we prefer not to clutter this already fairly long news!

Alright folks, this is the end for today! Thank you for reading, and don't hesitate to drop by our Forums or our Discord Server.

Read our previous articles here:
Article by Tactical Myzzrym

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
If we are going for this jokey jokey referencey thing - "Nobody expects the _______ Inquisition" for completing the game with only Paladins and Clerics.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Some achievement suggestions

• Mage association - Completing with only wizards.
  • RAAAAAGE!!!! - Completing with only Barbarians.
  • Sawyer - Complete the game with a balanced party AKA - A martial class, a utility class, a arcane and a divine caster.
  • Sniper - Complete the game with 4 rangers
  • Master kill - Deal more than 100 damage with a single character in a turn.
  • Participation award - Have a party wipe for the first time.
  • Toughness - Take more than 100 damage in a round and survive.
  • Abyss - Kill a enemy with fall damage
  • Fell into the Abyss - Die to fall damage
  • Merchant's guild - Own <<insert high amount of currency>>
  • Pyromaniac - Kill a fire resistant creature with a fire spell.
  • Massive critical - Row two critical in a single round.
  • Lightning - Complete the game in <<insert a number of days which is hard to complete>>
  • Artisan - Craft a item with hard to obtain ingredients.
  • Lv cap = reach lv cap
  • Prodigy = Reach lv cap in <<insert a hard number of days to obtain>>>
  • Arcane master = Learn/Copy all spells available in the game into your spellbook.
  • Fantasy artillery = Kill 5+ enemies with a single fireball
  • Game journalist = Die in the tutorial.

Last edited:

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Usual Suspects = martial class, thief, arcane caster, divine caster
Leviticus = 4 characters in 1 party all of them with CHA lower than 10
The Tourists = 3 or more characters with less than 10 CON
Tales of California OR Seekers of Fortune OR The Bounty Hunters = all characters in the party driven by greed/monetary gain
The Seekers of the Holy Grail = 3 Paladins and a Cleric
OR The Last Crusade = 4 Paladins in the same party
Bloodbourne = all characters have over 16 DEX
Ghostbusters = 4 Clerics
Nikita OR Le Femme Fatales (I don't know enough French) = 4 females in the same party (preferably with a CHA higher than 12)
The King's Court = 2 old characters (m&f) + 2 young characters (m&f)
The Hunchback of Notre Dame = 1 male character with CHA less than 10 (preferably a dwarf), accompanied by 1 female character with CHA more than 12. The other 2 companions are up to the devs to set.

and of course

Les Misérables = start with the lowest amount of funds & items possible.

Last edited:

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
If we are going for this jokey jokey referencey thing - "Nobody expects the _______ Inquisition" for completing the game with only Paladins and Clerics.

Your great idea needed just a little fix:
"Nobody expects the Dwarven Inquisition" for completing the game with only dwarf Paladins and Clerics.

vazha

Arcane
Gnome Academy of Barbarian Arts - complete the game with gnome barbarians

Lilura's Chosen - complete the game with all 4 characters having minimum intellect, wisdom and charisma. Bonus points if you somehow manage to cast Feeblemind on yourself.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The verticality combined with turnbased 5e combat is just enthralling. My main criticism would be that at low levels combat can quite often just descend into repeated attack actions for each character with little to no thought.

I didn't need to reload combat once for all the EA content, so I hope they up the difficulty, or at least add a few optional hard combat areas to play through. Foe variety was also quite lackluster. Where are monsters like illithid mind controlling my party. Or medusa where I have to fight in darkness and keep my darkvision guys away to avoid turning into stone. I can only really remember fighting soraks and not-vampires throughout.

Props to them for the light mechanics and the way certain enemies react to spells like daylight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom