Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mapping and notes (pre-contemporary)

BarãodoDesterro

Educated
Ladies and gentlemen;

I've decided to play some ancient stuff, but I don't know how to start (illustrating my mediocrity: I've always been a console player [from "Oblivion" to "Divinity Original Sin 2"]; the oldest wRPG I've finished is "Baldur's Gate" [but the game is, pretty much, contemporary — even more, I've played the Enchanced Edition]; I've defeated the first Garland [but I don't think jRPGs give experience towards their ocidental counterparts]).

I'm going to try (and finish) the following: "Wizardry I"; "Ultima I"; "Ultima IV"; "Dungeon Master"; "Pool of Radiance"; "Ultima Underworld"; "Ultima VII"; and "Fallout" — I will eventually play some "Wizardry VII" and "Wizardry VIII" (testing).

1. Which of the above should I map? I don't think I understand the concept of mapping.
2. How would one organize one's notes?

Sincerely regards,

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Wizardry 1 and Dungeon Master needs to be mapped.
For U4 I would at least map the towns. The overland is pretty big and has lots of random encounters, so unless you're a completionist don't trave it more than needed.
Pool of Radiance has area view for at least some of the maps-
Ultima Underworld has a very nice automap.

Use screenshots and .txt files to keep track of things. In UU you can also makes notes on the automap.

You can use software like Grid Cartographer (commercial) or "We Are Here" (or whatever it's called). Hell, some even use Excel.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
2. How would one organize one's notes?
What Catacombs said, but if you're playing multiple games at once (you probably shouldn't in this case) have them be in different text files so you don't get confused.
Or just buy a notebook, hence why they're called...notebooks. If you want to do a map on physical paper, you'd be wise to get some graph paper, which isn't sold everywhere.

Also, you don't need to map Fallout or Ultima Underworld, they come with their own maps IIRC.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Or just buy a notebook, hence why they're called...notebooks. If you want to do a map on physical paper, you'd be wise to get some graph paper, which isn't sold everywhere.
If OP uses a notebook, I'd be curious to read through scans of his journey.

Funposter

Arcane
Fallout is hardly ancient, so it doesn't really belong in the same category as the other games here. Beyond some "quirks" of its UI and the lack of a detailed quest log, Fallout is pretty damn modern. If you were able to manage Baldur's Gate you'll be fine.

Also, you don't need to map Fallout or Ultima Underworld, they come with their own maps IIRC.
Fallout has an automap feature which is totally pointless because you can scroll around at your leisure, and the world map is very easy to navigate. The biggest "dungeon" in the game is also like 4 or 5 rooms. It might be from 1996 but it's still fairly contemporary, since it kickstarted the revival of CRPGs in the late 90s and so is comparable to all of them in terms of user friendliness.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Most of those games don't require mapping, but in all cases besides Fallout and UU you should take notes. Grid Cartographer is a great mapping tool you can use for Proving Grounds and Dungeon Master.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Wizardry I
needs to be mapped fully.
Ultima IV
Needs to be mapped partially, in the dungeons.
Dungeon Master
Mapped fully as well. You are for a fun ride in this game.
Pool of Radiance
Map is unavailable only in some dungeons.
Ultima Underworld
Has a great map with a notes feature.
Ultima VII
Lol, no.
It's modern game and has a map.
Wizardry VII
You have automap tool with a corresponding mapping skill.
Wizardry VIII
It's modern game. It has automap. Play Grimoire instead.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
If you go with Dungeon Master, then there is no reason not to go with Wizardry 6 as well.

BarãodoDesterro

Educated
Put it all in notes.txt.

What Catacombs said, but if you're playing multiple games at once (you probably shouldn't in this case) have them be in different text files so you don't get confused. Or just buy a notebook, hence why they're called...notebooks. If you want to do a map on physical paper, you'd be wise to get some graph paper, which isn't sold everywhere. Also, you don't need to map Fallout or Ultima Underworld, they come with their own maps IIRC.

I've probably miswroten: it was more about the content, not the tools. How to partially (vulgarly) differentiate useful (needed) information from lore?
I'll use a normal notebook and a graph paper notebook (I already have them).

Wizardry 1 and Dungeon Master needs to be mapped. For U4 I would at least map the towns. The overland is pretty big and has lots of random encounters, so unless you're a completionist don't trave it more than needed. Pool of Radiance has area view for at least some of the maps- Ultima Underworld has a very nice automap. Use screenshots and .txt files to keep track of things. In UU you can also makes notes on the automap. You can use software like Grid Cartographer (commercial) or "We Are Here" (or whatever it's called). Hell, some even use Excel.

Most of those games don't require mapping, but in all cases besides Fallout and UU you should take notes. Grid Cartographer is a great mapping tool you can use for Proving Grounds and Dungeon Master.

Wizardry I needs to be mapped fully. Ultima IV Needs to be mapped partially, in the dungeons. Dungeon Master Mapped fully as well. You are for a fun ride in this game. Pool of Radiance Map is unavailable only in some dungeons. Ultima Underworld Has a great map with a notes feature. Ultima VII Lol, no. Fallout It's modern game and has a map. Wizardry VII You have automap tool with a corresponding mapping skill. Wizardry VIII It's modern game. It has automap. Play Grimoire instead.

Thank you a lot.
I know a thing or two about teleports and spinners; and imagine I should also highlight ladders and doors. That leads to two questions:
1. Monster and treasure encounters are random? If that is the case, should I only map the structure of the dungeon?
2. How to observe a qualified approach: what are the signs that I found spinners or teleports?

Fallout is hardly ancient, so it doesn't really belong in the same category as the other games here. Beyond some "quirks" of its UI and the lack of a detailed quest log, Fallout is pretty damn modern. If you were able to manage Baldur's Gate you'll be fine. Fallout has an automap feature which is totally pointless because you can scroll around at your leisure, and the world map is very easy to navigate. The biggest "dungeon" in the game is also like 4 or 5 rooms. It might be from 1996 but it's still fairly contemporary, since it kickstarted the revival of CRPGs in the late 90s and so is comparable to all of them in terms of user friendliness.

I considered using parentheses to highlight that I didn't think the question applied to "Fallout". Since I've never seen its engine, I was nervous nonetheless.

If you go with Dungeon Master, then there is no reason not to go with Wizardry 6 as well.

People (mainstream) seem to think that "Dungeon Master" is more important to the medium. I've bought the bundle on Steam, maybe I'll give it a try.

you dont use notes or maps. You memorize and rage quit when it fails

LOL

Thank you all!

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Ultima IV is pretty easy to navigate and offers cheap gems and the mapping spell, so you don't really have to map unless you enjoy doing so. You will have to take plenty of notes and occasionally RTFM though, and don't spoil your experience by reading an online guide.

If you want a more complete old-school experience, you could also play Quest for Glory I (aka Hero's Quest), Darklands and Daggerfall. You could also skip Ultima VII, unless you really want to play a clunky open world game that barely qualifies as an RPG.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Thank you a lot.
I know a thing or two about teleports and spinners; and imagine I should also highlight ladders and doors. That leads to two questions:
1. Monster and treasure encounters are random? If that is the case, should I only map the structure of the dungeon?
Depends on the game. In Wizardry some encounters are random, some are fixed with a certain monsters (Werdna being the obvious example), some are fixed, but with a random monsters from a certain pool. Pool of Radiance has both random encounters and fixed. Oh, these trolls in the slums and undead on the graveyard...

2. How to observe a qualified approach: what are the signs that I found spinners or teleports?
Depends on the game. Sometimes screen flickers, sometimes you will see something that was not there a second ago. "Endless corridor" from the DM-clones being the poster child of such puzzles. It's truly endless passage, where some square teleports you to the start. Usually it is disabled by secret button or circumvented by illusionary wall.
BTW, there is a little game, called To Hell with Guns, it really highlights some fine points of the mapping by hand.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...ns-and-note-of-the-outskirts-released.124351/

People (mainstream) seem to think that "Dungeon Master" is more important to the medium.
People are idiots. Wiz6 is a masterpiece. DM is important, being the founder of its own subgenre, but Wizardry 6 is a turning point for entire series, that is one of the cornerstones of RPGs.

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I've probably miswroten: it was more about the content, not the tools. How to partially (vulgarly) differentiate useful (needed) information from lore?
I'll use a normal notebook and a graph paper notebook (I already have them).
What I do whenever I'm playing a game that needs notes is write down anything that looks important. Messages on walls, words said by one-time NPCs or otherwise unrepeatable dialog, things that the game draws attention to. Depending on the game you might end up with some information that you don't need or ends up being a red herring, unfortunately, that's how it is sometimes.
For Wizardry I and Dungeon Master, you should mark down everything that's fixed. In DM that's everything, but Wizardry I be cautious around monster encounters.

BarãodoDesterro

Educated
Ultima IV is pretty easy to navigate and offers cheap gems and the mapping spell, so you don't really have to map unless you enjoy doing so. You will have to take plenty of notes and occasionally RTFM though, and don't spoil your experience by reading an online guide. If you want a more complete old-school experience, you could also play Quest for Glory I (aka Hero's Quest), Darklands and Daggerfall. You could also skip Ultima VII, unless you really want to play a clunky open world game that barely qualifies as an RPG.

Thank you for the tips and suggestions.
I'm really frightened by "Daggerfall" (I've finished the first "Arena" dungeon and could never understand moving with mouse — when I started "Daggerfall" and realized the game worked the same way I simply did not leave the room).
"Ultima VII" is controversy. I must play it.

Depends on the game. In Wizardry some encounters are random, some are fixed with a certain monsters (Werdna being the obvious example), some are fixed, but with a random monsters from a certain pool. Pool of Radiance has both random encounters and fixed. Oh, these trolls in the slums and undead on the graveyard... Depends on the game. Sometimes screen flickers, sometimes you will see something that was not there a second ago. "Endless corridor" from the DM-clones being the poster child of such puzzles. It's truly endless passage, where some square teleports you to the start. Usually it is disabled by secret button or circumvented by illusionary wall. BTW, there is a little game, called To Hell with Guns, it really highlights some fine points of the mapping by hand. https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...ns-and-note-of-the-outskirts-released.124351/ People are idiots. Wiz6 is a masterpiece. DM is important, being the founder of its own subgenre, but Wizardry 6 is a turning point for entire series, that is one of the cornerstones of RPGs.

What I do whenever I'm playing a game that needs notes is write down anything that looks important. Messages on walls, words said by one-time NPCs or otherwise unrepeatable dialog, things that the game draws attention to. Depending on the game you might end up with some information that you don't need or ends up being a red herring, unfortunately, that's how it is sometimes. For Wizardry I and Dungeon Master, you should mark down everything that's fixed. In DM that's everything, but Wizardry I be cautious around monster encounters.

I'm screenshotting everything. I'll use them after I finish "Divinity 2", "Final Fantasy XIII" (don't ask) and "Morrowind".

A braver man than I. Darklands is as far back as I'm willing to go.

Play Ultima V instead of the first one.

I'm actually more afraid to play the newer ones. Supposedly, "Ultima I" can be beaten under 15 hours and "Wizardry I" under 30 hours.

Thank you all!

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Wizardry 1 and Dungeon Master needs to be mapped.
For U4 I would at least map the towns. The overland is pretty big and has lots of random encounters, so unless you're a completionist don't trave it more than needed.
Pool of Radiance has area view for at least some of the maps-
Ultima Underworld has a very nice automap.

Use screenshots and .txt files to keep track of things. In UU you can also makes notes on the automap.

You can use software like Grid Cartographer (commercial) or "We Are Here" (or whatever it's called). Hell, some even use Excel.

Pencil and graph paper has always worked fine. Especially good for Eye of the Beholder series.

mondblut

Arcane

Doing it on grid paper the old school way is way more convenient than dragging lines in some software tool. Even if you have 2 monitors, mapping walls in software requires more effort than playing the game itself. Only paper is real.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Akalabeth, Escape from Mt Drash, Ultima II, and Ultima VIII are the ones you should focus on.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Doing it on grid paper the old school way is way more convenient than dragging lines in some software tool. Even if you have 2 monitors, mapping walls in software requires more effort than playing the game itself. Only paper is real.

With paper it's easier to improvise.
But with software it's easier to correct mistakes and not least to remember where my old maps are.

Lilura, you spamming shit bot, stop stalking me

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yeah, most if my fun was mapping by hand. Notes were haphazzard during my c64 years, amiga, nes, and 486. I mean, pure dos didn't make it easy until i was dumped another pc by my aunt. Play on one and write notes on the other. I can't recall what i used on dos to write..
FreeDOS_Edit.png

I also don't recall entirely what i used for screencaptures. Screenthief or neopaint/grab.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom