Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
No. A 1e Pathfinder build = several multiclass dips.

Unless you're soloing this is exactly wrong.

Desiderius

Patron
Well, doesn't mean a Kinetic Knight's useless. Actually his playstyle might be less rotten = more fun then Deadly Earth spam of regular Kins.
Even in the PNP, it's a trap. You get higher AC running Dex and grabbing some Monk levels, grab the same feats, now you can blast with or without the blade.

The whole point of Kineticist melee is the Kinetic Whip. Without the Kinetic Whip you can't make AoOs. Not to mention full-round attacking with that reach + tripping + disarming weapon.

The whole point of Kin melee is that Blade gets iteratives while Blast doesn't. Then Owlcat made Whirlwind basically free so you can Cleave with it too.

Is there anything you're not completely wrong about?

Yosharian

Arcane
Yeah setting Kingdom Management to Effortless pretty much solves most issues with that aspect of the game. I do a few other things too but you really don't need the Kingdom Resolution mod and I'd be very wary about using that mod considering how buggy it is.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
No. A 1e Pathfinder build = several multiclass dips.

Unless you're soloing this is exactly wrong.
Why would you be soloing a table top game? https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2m612?Guide-to-the-Class-Guides

Sir, this is a cRPG forum.
What was that you said about underlying ruleset?

Don't get wrong - I'm glad it's 3.5E and not 4e or 5e. And the building is kind of fun. And better than Thac0.

Edit: Also, didn't you say you wanted your kids to play good games? Maybe you should sit down with them and play tabletop, your kids actually get to spend time with you, you can teach them stuff.

Or you can just sit them at a computer.

Be a good Dad. :p

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Well, doesn't mean a Kinetic Knight's useless. Actually his playstyle might be less rotten = more fun then Deadly Earth spam of regular Kins.
Even in the PNP, it's a trap. You get higher AC running Dex and grabbing some Monk levels, grab the same feats, now you can blast with or without the blade.

The whole point of Kineticist melee is the Kinetic Whip. Without the Kinetic Whip you can't make AoOs. Not to mention full-round attacking with that reach + tripping + disarming weapon.

The whole point of Kin melee is that Blade gets iteratives while Blast doesn't. Then Owlcat made Whirlwind basically free so you can Cleave with it too.

Is there anything you're not completely wrong about?
At 1st level, a kinetic knight gains the kinetic blade form infusion, and it costs 0 points of burn instead of 1 point. She can’t use her kinetic blast without the kinetic blade form infusion or an infusion that lists kinetic blade as a prerequisite.

At 3rd level, the kinetic knight gains the blade rush infusion.

At 5th level, she gains the kinetic whip infusion. Her kinetic whip has the disarm, performance, and trip weapon qualities.

At 9th level, she gains the blade whirlwind infusion.

At 11th level, she gains the whip hurricane infusion.
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternativ...chetypes/kinetic-knight-kineticist-archetype/

And you don't get AoOs with a Blade. Blades disappear at the end of your own. On the other hand, you can keep the Whip burning until the next Turn, thus threatening *reaching* AoOs.

The main benefit of the Kinetic Knight is that you get Combat Expertise for free without needing Intelligence. That means you can dump Int and have a faster time climbing the CMB ladder.

BTW, all of those feats you can buy as a regular Kineticist. In PnP. Which is why people say KKnight is a trap and are sad about the class.

Edit: Anyways, this (3pp sadly - by Legendary, though) archetype I ran into is hilarious:

nihilicist.jpg

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Yadda, yadda. PnP is not cRPG. I've already explained how Owlcat adapted it and why. AoOs would probably be too good.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Yadda, yadda. PnP is not cRPG. I've already explained how Owlcat adapted it and why. AoOs would probably be too good.
As opposed to having no AOOs? Your Kinetic Blade is gone at the end of your turn, unless you fire up with Kinetic Whip, which will last til your next turn. You also lose a form infusion weapon that can can trip+reach+disarm on its natural turn. And you're not allowed any more form infusions with a KKinetic Blade, only substance infusions. That goes for any melee Kineticist, not just KKnight, which is why people just roll normal Kineticist and grab the same KKnight infusions but be more versatile (and possibly with more AC).

See, the list of infusions for Kinetic Knight can be bought by a regular Kineticist. And the KKnight isn't getting them as bonus infusions. They replace the "vanilla" infusion gains per every 2/level. Essentially that means KKnights are locked into that melee line of infusions, whereas a vanilla Kineticist can choose to do go down that line or not. Well, I guess the Knight gets them faster. But they don't get the vanilla progression.

Desiderius

Patron
I mostly agree with this. The benefit of zero cost Blade is better than it looks though since it lets you trade Gather for iteratives.

So what you’re really building toward is Whirlwind (against groups) and iteratives with your Blade against single target which is enough if you have a pretty narrow play pattern in mind. By the time you run into Ghosts (Immune to Trip) you finally have some more Infusions to work with.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I mostly agree with this. The benefit of zero cost Blade is better than it looks though since it lets you trade Gather for iteratives.

So what you’re really building toward is Whirlwind (against groups) and iteratives with your Blade against single target which is enough if you have a pretty narrow play pattern in mind. By the time you run into Ghosts (Immune to Trip) you finally have some more Infusions to work with.
Yeah, exactly, power-wise it's fine, you're just trading versatility for the fun of running around in heavy armor and a shield instead of, say, unarmed WIS monk AC. Enjoy yourself either way. lol

The "problem" with zero-cost Blade is that Infusion Specialization can mitigate that. You don't really lose anything but you don't really win anything lol.

The only thing I can think that's unique of is going CMB, using that pseudo-Combat-Expertise. Not sure if you'd have enough feats for that, plus you want to dump INT anyway.

Edit: Yeah, took me a while to figure out substance infusions vs. form infusions vs. utility wild talents. Some elements are better or worse for meleeing with the blade depending if there are enough substance infusions to last you (bc kinetic blade = form infusion, and you can only have one form infusion). You'll have to scan the list of abilities to figure out that out.

Edit 66: Also, Paizo didn't really support the Occult classes much. Maybe working on 2e or something but, while the vanilla Occult classes are fine, the Occult archetypes are hit or miss, or just eh for the Kineticist. But besides that, I like the idea of the archetypes, and I think they were successful in designing unique-feeling classes. The hybrid classes were a good idea and they were done right, so that you actually use both "halves" of the hybrid. Bloodrager is kewl. But I think they should've went more for quality than quantity for the archetypes. Some do. Some don't. Many are just meh, meaningless sidegrade lol. I heard in 2e they're gonna make less archetypes but all universal to all classes.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Dumping INT is bad in P:K. Skills rock. Only reason it comes up is because Val starts with 9 INT.

Infusion Specialization reduces the combined cost every three levels or whatever but paying one less for Blade means you get what base Kin has to either Gather or wait three levels for.

I’d have to go back and test it but I think this is the case with Push Infusion Earth so you get three levels worth of iteratives with a Trip attached that base Kin doesn’t. That’s important if you pick up Celerity with your second element because then you’re at three attax and going off.

I beaten this once, and really tempted to go back and play it again minus the 80 plus hours to beat it the first time.

However, I see there been way more patches and a turn bases mode.

Worth while going back, and any recommend strong builds?

Desiderius

Patron
I beaten this once, and really tempted to go back and play it again minus the 80 plus hours to beat it the first time.

Autolevel

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

The strongest build is the one you like most.

I heard you can't romance the best girl:
companion2.png

is that true?

Amiri is actually the weakest character, in my opinion.

And as far as romances go, there are better options. And no, you can't romance Amiri.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I just got back to finish my campaign and feel obliged to say switching to turn based combat makes this game from 9/10 to 15/10. It was snowing and I was clearing out the hunting grounds in nighttime. Dream RPG.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I heard you can't romance the best girl:
companion2.png

is that true?

She is Pathfinder Iconic (official Paizo character as representative for each class). Canon wise they have their own relationship, or lack of one. So yeah don't hope to romance iconic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom