Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Outward - open world RPG where you are an ordinary adventurer and survival is harsh

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I waited for it to drop, started a new playthrough right away, then realized the dlc is accessible after you beat the main game. Bad planning on my part. I'll get to the dlc eventually
I thought it was a 4th faction or story branch. Are the two new classes also available only fter the main content?
Yes, as far as I know. You have to finish one of the factions before you're allowed to see the new content, but I feel that's a good thing because it means it's all end game and will be much more challenging.

nyjsu

Educated
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well this has been a disappointment. I've been meaning to get into this game since it's release and finally got it from the gog sale, but god this game is bland. I absolutely love the concept, but the game simply loses it's appeal after the first five hours. It has a really cozy atmosphere and exploration was great at first, but it's slowly becoming clear that the world is just an empty prop with nothing to do in it. Combine this with uninteresting NPCs, nonexistent plot, endless running and awful combat, you get Outward. I'm sure the combat will get more enjoyable once I get better at it, but all the other flaws are still there.

It definitely has it's merits. I love the inventory management and the unapologetic vision creators clearly had, but there's just too much cumbersome nonsense and horribly executed mechanics to make the game actually enjoyable. I'll give it a few more days and try to get gud, but I fear I love the idea of this game more than the actual game.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Well this has been a disappointment. I've been meaning to get into this game since it's release and finally got it from the gog sale, but god this game is bland. I absolutely love the concept, but the game simply loses it's appeal after the first five hours. It has a really cozy atmosphere and exploration was great at first, but it's slowly becoming clear that the world is just an empty prop with nothing to do in it. Combine this with uninteresting NPCs, nonexistent plot, endless running and awful combat, you get Outward. I'm sure the combat will get more enjoyable once I get better at it, but all the other flaws are still there.

It definitely has it's merits. I love the inventory management and the unapologetic vision creators clearly had, but there's just too much cumbersome nonsense and horribly executed mechanics to make the game actually enjoyable. I'll give it a few more days and try to get gud, but I fear I love the idea of this game more than the actual game.
The whole game is based on finding and exploring the bigger dungeons. Everything else is there to serve that. It has a bunch of really good dungeons and a couple of smaller ones to do in between. I pretty much skip all dialogue and mostly ignore the story. The overworld is just there to separate the dungeons. All the good stuff is past the 5 hour mark

nyjsu

Educated
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth

The whole game is based on finding and exploring the bigger dungeons. Everything else is there to serve that. It has a bunch of really good dungeons and a couple of smaller ones to do in between. I pretty much skip all dialogue and mostly ignore the story. The overworld is just there to separate the dungeons. All the good stuff is past the 5 hour mark

Yeah after playing it for more I'm starting to enjoy it again. I think my main issue was that I was approaching Outward as a standard crpg, when it's more of a adventurer simulator. I also absolutely love the fact that the game doesn't force you to fight so you can actually pick your fights and run when it's the best option.

Murk

Arcane
Got both DLCs and been playing it with a friend, having a blast so far.

The enchantment system is both incredibly frustrating with some of its requirements, and also really cool with how it forces you to do it through gameplay.

The vampiric weapons process is pretty neat too, and they're really good.

So far just kind of disappointed with the newest DLC spells/skills (the primal ritualist ones), was hoping they'd expand a bit more on runic magic but oh well.

Last edited:

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I'm a big fan of the game but why would they ever do what they did with the town building. It's almost impossible to place the buildings in a nice way and you can only see when you're building from a low awkward angle. Sorobeans dlc gave us a massive mega dungeon compromised of 8 full sized dungeons with connectivity between them. The new dlc gave us... town building. Feels like such a huge let down, especially when the new town building just means grinding the same mining spots for the rare item you need to build a building and funneling huge amounts of money into it. The new area, enemies, and awakened weapons system are great but I just feel like a set town would have been better and wouldn't have meant sacrificing something cool like the train station mega dungeon.

Town building could have at least had a grid or set spots for buildings. The way it's done now is just clumsy and it's hard to plan the city for later on

Sinatar

Arbiter
Got this from Humble Bundle, so far it's pure unfiltered decline.

What's with all this survival guff? Piranha Bytes had the right idea cutting all that nonsense out.

Sinatar

Arbiter
Am I wrong or is there no character development/leveling in this?

It just gets worse and worse.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Am I wrong or is there no character development/leveling in this?

It just gets worse and worse.
On paper it's a dungeon crawler with character development via itemization. I need to play more because I had not found any of those interesting dungeons with unique loot. Roaming the countryside feels like an MMO in a bad way.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What's with all this survival guff?

It's the entire gameplay hook of the game

Only kindda. Outward is the only survival game I know of where you cannot die. I sunk a few hours into it but I never saw any remotely meaningful consequence of dying.

Being killed is basically a part of exploration - you end up being teleported all over the place. Great sightseeing but for a survival game it's a bit strange. Feels like one of those ideas that sound incredibly cool on paper but in reality just don't work well.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Outward is the only survival game I know of where you cannot die. I sunk a few hours into it but I never saw any remotely meaningful consequence of dying.

You lose items/supplies, get penalties (their intensity varies) and can wake up in a bad place

Then there are some timed quests which you fail in Defeat Scenerios since they always end up costing a couple of days
IMO the game would've been better if all quests are timed

The idea is good, the implementation could be better
I think there's should've been "true death" if the player died due to: starvation, dehidration, infection, poison (maybe bleeding as well) and/or in a dungeon
You would still get the Defeat Scenarios but only if you hadn't died by any of the above causes (in Hardcore Mode there would be no 20% chance, if you die from the above that's it)

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
If we're discussing how this game could be improved, I think it would have been a hell of lot better if they had gone all in on the mechanical aspects, systems and so on and just completely omitted the story elements. Everything in this game that's about story, writing, characters and so on is a complete fail.

I had the most fun in this game mucking about in dungeons trying to survive, and the least fun muddling through the game's boring quest lines and being forced to traverse large distances between zones because some stupid quest demanded it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I think there's should've been "true death" if the player died due to: starvation, dehidration, infection, poison (maybe bleeding as well) and/or in a dungeon

You mean permadeath? That's not a good fit for big, open-world RPGs that can take 30-100 hours to complete.

Nah, I think Kingdom Come was onto something with crafting your own saving potions for instance. That would be an amazing fit for this game. Death would be normal, you'd have to reload, but you could only save with a crafted consumable (or in a bed/pub/church etc.).

The downside would be the usual screeching about "lost progress" from carebear dumbfucks but hey, you can't have it all.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
You mean permadeath?

No I mean death as in a game over screen
Besides the game already has permadeath in Hardcore Mode, but with my changes you would get permadeath in those conditions instead of playing russian roulette like it is in-game

I think Kingdom Come was onto something with crafting your own saving potions for instance.

That's the most retarded feature of KCD
If don't want savescumming than do checkpoints instead of limited manual saves

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I think Kingdom Come was onto something with crafting your own saving potions for instance.

That's the most retarded feature of KCD
If don't want savescumming than do checkpoints instead of limited manual saves

If you think saving potions are retarded...how are checkpoints any better? From the perspective of people who are too lazy or braindead to craft potions (that are mobile and unlimited) and then cry about lost progress, checkpoints are way worse because they're fixed and limited. You don't know what you're talking about.

V_K

Arcane
Personally, I'd take a consumable-based saving system over checkpoint any day, but they ruined it by adding unnecessary crafting.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Checkpoints can also be automatic (although I guess they're more often called autosaves)
Besides even if they were fixed checkpoints would still be a better option because unlike the schnapps they would allow unlimited saving without any requeriments

Anyway limited, consumable type saves works wonders in "short" games set in extremely contained enviroments (and usually with intense resource managment focus) - think RE1
For an open world game this format is idiotic, which is further agravated by the fact that is this also an RPG and like this wasn't enough the player gets his stats penalized if he saves again within a 30 minute time frame

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
Why the fuck did you even buy it if you don't like survival mechanics?
i-deliberatley-entered-a-thread-full-of-things-that-i-28308860.png

MANY SUCH CASES!

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
It was a 2 sentence post and you still managed to reply to it without reading it.

I. Got. It. In. A. Humble. Bundle.

IE with 10 other games.

I got a shooter in a humble bundle once. I didn't complain about shooting even though I don't like guns. judge the game for what it is, that's all it ever can be. The reviews on steam are filled with a bunch of babies crying about the game even though if you read the short steam description you already know what you're getting in to. If I get a game that doesn't appeal to me in a bundle, I give it away or don't play it; Or I try it out and if it isn't my type of game I move on. I haven't played a racing or shooting game in years because they're not what I like, but if anytime I saw a racing game I went and cried because it wasn't a turn based rpg I would be a fucking idiot. If you want to judge the survival part of the game there's plenty to criticize, but if you're just going to complain that it's a survival game then you're an idiot. I pretty much exclude every side scroller from humble bundle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom